Before Settlement - Questions

Given you're trying to squeeze it all in before Christmas, try and suss out how busy the tradies are and how soon they'd be able to start.

I was just thinking of this too. The more I think about it, the more not doing anything for now makes sense.

My brother and father are both builders - every man and their dog wants work done from about now through to Christmas so that the new deck is ready for the family, or so that that new bathroom they started planning 6 months ago but have done nothing about suddenly appears in time.

Even if you do get tradies in time, you may be paying a premium or you may end up in a situation where they couldn't keep the time line they told you they could (shock, horror - a tradie with poor time management) and suddenly it's Christmas eve, the job isn't finished so you can't put tenants in anyway, and what-da-ya-know, they're off 'till late January.

Your gamble, but I'd take Minxdamanx's advice.

Cheers
Greg

Yeah, I need a plumber for some very major work (we intend to go stay elsewhere while he's doing it).

I was thinking of booking him for February :eek: He's just flat-out now, and you can never get a tradie around Christmas time, all the trade outlets that sell the stuff seem to be shut for weeks then.

The final inspection is NOT an opportunity to look for additional faults. It is simply to check that the property is in the same condition as when you signed the contract. If the above were not carried out then, then it is too late to decide to go through the place with a fine tooth comb. The power will probably be disconnected anyway.
Marg

Marg I was assuming that Kim would have the 'everything in working order' condition on her O&A. If she does, then these things are part of that.

To do this we have the power turned on at the property from the date of settlement.

Met with pm on friday. Have decided to get the work done starting Dec 9th. Make the unit available from December 15th.

Anway im not feeling as stressed or overwhelmed with things now! We had a good chat and she answered my questions. I have a to do list, im prapared I have my questions answered, so its cool.

I went and had a look at the unit friday morning when the insulation guy was there. Had a good look around and wrote some notes. Was very exciting.

Oh yeah and my bank loan documents arrived Friday and the transfer of land docs too. sms'd mb today to say i would ring him monday to arrange a time to sign all the paperwork.

Vendor to Repair Light Fittings

An update:

My Bank is ready to book a time for settlement 

My Settlement Agent is ready too!

but

When the handyman came yesterday to see what work needed to be done to the unit we learned that all of the light fittings are loose. They are unsafe. I don’t know why this wasn’t picked up when the building report was done!

I let the agent know that the light fittings will need to be repaired by the vendor before settlement. He wasnt able to contact the vendor yesterday but he did leave a message. I'll be talking to the agent soon to follow up. Settlement is December 1st. I suggested a November 26th pre-settlement inspection so that this will give the vendor some time to get the light fittings repaired.

I hope settlement is not delayed because of the light fittings. The agent also tried to weasel his way out of it too, crapping on about how the vendor sold the property as is. I said all items must be in working order. In my contract all electrical appliances must be in working order. If western power were to view the light fittings they would deem them illegal.

If this guy even tried to get out of repairing the light fittings all I would have to do would be to mention that its in the contract that all electrical appliances are to be in working order upon settlement. Western Power would certainly fine him too if they were to pay a visit.

Hopefully this doesn’t delay things too much.

I booked the handyman for December 10 and December 11. The Air con that I’ll be buying this weekend I’ll book to get installed December 9th.

I had a look at a very cool 'house' the other week that had light fittings attached almost 7 metres up. I wonder how a building inspector would check them ...

Don't spend tooooooo much before you've got a tenant in.

Oh, the light bulbs are about 3m off the ground. The ceiling is almost 7m, so they are on a VERY long cord. I'm still drooling over that 'house' but I'm not really in a position to buy unless its still for sale in a few months :(

I've seen townhouses with lights on the ceiling in the stairwell or a void where they are virtually impossible to reach - a full 2 storeys high. If I was ever shopping for a 2 storey house, warehouse style place etc I'd have to say inaccessible lights would be very high up on the list of things to avoid - especially in an IP where you can guarantee the tenant is going to get YOU in to change the lights ...

Ah, another point for Kim - if you're messing with the light fittings, make sure they are ones that are really easy to take off, not ones you need a screwdriver to dismantle to get to the bulb. Quite common in older units. Again, if its 'too hard', the tenant might hit you up to change the lightbulbs. Helps if they have long life bulbs in them though.

hiya
What happens after i connect the power up in my name? Does it then need to be transferred into the renters name?
Strange, my PM said I don't need to do anything regarding the water, electricity and gas. He said the tenant would have to apply.

Back