Benchtop Colour help & before/during photos

We are renovating & doing a subdivision on this property, this house will remain & be our PPOR for couple of years then become an IP.

Our main issue is we have come to a standstill while we decide on benchtop colour, feel this is very important as it will be first thing noticed.

Wife is prefering a Formica "Lava Stone" square formed top (it is a sort of dark & light grey granite colour)
http://www.formica.com.au/uploads/colour-range/overview.pdf

I prefer something lighter perhaps a sandy colour, but open to other suggestions

We do have a black glass kitchen table with black chairs

Cupboards are white

Walls will be painted...you guessed it, Hog bristle 1/4 strength

Have some before & after photos attached.

Any recomendations or comments are much appreciated

Attachments

• Kitchen before.JPG
    Kitchen before.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Kitch in progress.JPG
    Kitch in progress.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 344
  • Kitchen in Progress.JPG
    Kitchen in Progress.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 371
Entrance in progress with before & after photos, will post photos of bathroom if anyone interested

Attachments

• Entrance before.JPG
    Entrance before.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 171
  • entrance in progress.JPG
    entrance in progress.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 174
You can see a test try of the hog bristle colour just above the dishwasher, rest of walls yet to be painted (obviously)

This kitchen was purchased seconhand on ebay & came with granite tops but a fair bit was damaged in removal, may have enough to finish top but as to cost of mason & delay thought it may be better to use laminate ...was quoted $550 for tops with 5 working days for delivery.

Fitted pretty well just had to turn corner pantry upside down as originally was on other side.

We are currently renovating a recent purchase with a view to keeping it as an investment property; we are planning to paint the walls with antique white usa and the new kitchen will have white cupboards with a Polytec Smoky Quartz benchtop; floors are timber - although female I'm certainly no expert on colours but in our case I'm also aiming towards the earthy colours and think it will work - the antique white should work with the specks in the smokey quartz - and if it doesnt we will simply rejig our choice of paint colour. I do like hogs bristle but to me it is a little more earthy/creamy and you will have to look at whether it will work with the lava stone. I also like the ice snow type colours but saw some great photos with the smokey quartz bench/white cupboards/timber floor which sold me; however if in doubt I think I'd go with the ice snow type of colour scheme. Just my thoughts!
Karen

I would usually back the judgement of females when it comes to colours. However in this case you are using warm neutral colours elsewhere and from what I have seen from Lava stone, this doesn't really suit imo.

How about using something like Ice Snow or Nougat and use a glass splashback or tiles for colour and impact.

Ice snow benchtop images

Nougat benchtop images
Absolutely agree. Light benchtops would be much better. Your dining setting is black & that will go with anything. Good luck winning the battle over your wife, though.:p

I would usually back the judgement of females when it comes to colours. However in this case you are using warm neutral colours elsewhere and from what I have seen from Lava stone, this doesn't really suit imo.

How about using something like Ice Snow or Nougat and use a glass splashback or tiles for colour and impact.

Ice snow benchtop images

Nougat benchtop images

Thanks everyone, we are going for a colour similar to Nougat.

she especially liked idea of using the glass splashback for impact...but in Red, but I think we will settle for something like a smoky grey or pick up one of the colours in the top, Red seems to be her go at the moment I hear our front door is to be red.

we appreciate your responses, they have been helpfull

Last edited:
I'd definitely stay away from a red splashback but let it be an accent in appliances etc. You would alienate too many buyers..... and even though this is not to be sold, one day you will be selling it, or renting it or...... or become tired of the red yourself, in my opinion.

The difference in the photos of the entrance with all that dark brown compared to how light it now looks is fantastic. I'd go light benchtops myself to keep it light.

I'd like to see the bathroom photos too.

Forgot to say great work so far! And i am in furious agreement re: smoky grey splashback. Get your wife a shiny red kitchenaid, red glass fruitbowl etc for her red kick.

Forgot to say great work so far! And i am in furious agreement re: smoky grey splashback. Get your wife a shiny red kitchenaid, red glass fruitbowl etc for her red kick.

Thanks Guys, I think she has been pulling my leg about the red splashback (although she loves it) we are going smoky grey.

Now have to find a supplier where I can get it at a reasonable price.

Have attached photos of bathroom, reno of it is not too exciting, we have a concrete floor & bathroom was dated but while every thing was replaced we have a concrete floor,
to keep costs down we placed everything in pretty much the original positions, spent about $500 on plumber to replace shower outlet as old shower bottom was tiles on concrete & there had been leaking into the next room.

Attachments

• P1000898.jpg
    P1000898.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 170
  • S6300297.jpg
    S6300297.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
  • S6300298.jpg
    S6300298.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 225
Back