Berwick, Beaconsfield or Cranbourne areas?

Hi there.

Looking into possibly moving down to South East Melbourne over the next year or so. Just scoping the area out and whatnot, seeing if it is worth it. Wondering what everyone thinks of Berwick, Beaconsfield or Cranbourne areas?

I've seen some topics on here about Berwick and Cranbourne but they were from last year, so wanted to see what people thought now.

There seem to be a lot of land subdivisions in the area. If I was to move here, I wouldn't restrict myself to either a newly built home or an established one - but lets say I moved down here for a few years and then decided to rent it out later on, which area would be best do you think?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Anyone at all? :p

I was looking through "The Hunt Club" the other day and it seemed okay. I've been told it's decent aswell.

Was also looking around Clyde area.

Was going to go look through Pakenham but I've heard people say to steer clear from there?

One option is to look at Cranbourne. You can buy a house where you can build one out the back down the track.

One other alternative is Narre Warren. You have all you need in terms of shopping. You can also buy a house near the shopping centre which you can build out the back too.

Oscar

Hi Kael

From what I know Berwick is definitely the pick of the bunch of the suburbs you mentioned. It has a good mix of old and new properties, a good shopping strip, a train station, Monash University, TAFE, hospital and it's on the Monash Freeway. I have a few friends that live there and one is about to send his kids to high school and has been raving about one of the schools down there.

I know Berwick fairly well but the others I only know from what I've heard and I generally haven't heard good things about those suburbs.

Cheers

What area's best?

It will depend on your requirements - lifestyle, family, etc............oh, and of course, your bank balance. I like to have a larger block, greenery, nice neighbours etc.

For living in for a few years
, this is how I see it from my perspective.

1. Berwick - I prefer older Berwick - that's on (or around the main hills). Brisbane Street, Church Street, Kramer Drive etc. I would keep away from estates where streets are too small to swing a cat like the old Timbarra Estate (along the Hwy towards Narre Warren).

2. Beaconsfield, I would prefer Upper Beacy.

3. Pakenham - again, I like the central/older area rather than the newer areas.

4. Clyde, Clyde is better than Cranbourne.

Last - Cranbourne - I personally grew up & have IP's in Cranbourne, but would never live there myself these days due to mostly smaller blocks & idiot neighbours.

I would prefer just out of town at Cranbourne South, Devon Meadows, Junction Village. The Hunt Club will be having the new shopping centre coming soon as well as a promised train station (eventually), so I guess that is something. IMO, Cranny West (and many other areas really) seem to be a hotspot for hoons & idiots.

As you can see, the places I've mentioned are sometimes not central to services - but I don't mind driving to them. I just simply refuse to be either cramped in and live next to troublesome neigbours for my children's sake.

If I was to choose for an IP, then it would depend on your strategy & bank balance. Most newer estate have barely enough room for the one house, hence not my favourite areas, but it all depends on what you can afford.

I'm a cheapskate, so it's 1. Cranbourne central, 2. Pakenham Central, 3. Clyde North, 4. Berwick. This is just purely based on possible rental yield & my personal circumstances.

Hi Kael

From what I know Berwick is definitely the pick of the bunch of the suburbs you mentioned. It has a good mix of old and new properties, a good shopping strip, a train station, Monash University, TAFE, hospital and it's on the Monash Freeway. I have a few friends that live there and one is about to send his kids to high school and has been raving about one of the schools down there.

I know Berwick fairly well but the others I only know from what I've heard and I generally haven't heard good things about those suburbs.

Cheers

I live in Berwick, so I'm obviously biased.

Anywhere near the Olde Berwick village is nice. We bought a block and built on it off Parkhill drive after looking at several houses in the area. If you are planning to buy a block, just be mindful of the fall of the land and potential site costs as there are some pretty steep blocks around in the area.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, Harkaway may be an option as well. Its beautiful with some really nice views but a bit further away from shops/trains.

Agree that Beaconsfield Upper is nicer. There's some new development just behind the highway that I would personally stay away from.

We have a 2 IPs in Pakenham. There are some nice pockets, but there are also areas with a bit of a reputation. In between Berwick and Pakenham is also Officer which has been developed massively in the last few years. There is also more shops and infrastructure being built there.

Long story short, my order of preference would be

Harkaway, Berwick, Narre Warren (North, south is less sought after), Beaconsfield Upper, Beaconsfield, Pakenham, Officer

I live in Berwick, so I'm obviously biased.

Anywhere near the Olde Berwick village is nice. We bought a block and built on it off Parkhill drive after looking at several houses in the area. If you are planning to buy a block, just be mindful of the fall of the land and potential site costs as there are some pretty steep blocks around in the area.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, Harkaway may be an option as well. Its beautiful with some really nice views but a bit further away from shops/trains.

Agree that Beaconsfield Upper is nicer. There's some new development just behind the highway that I would personally stay away from.

We have a 2 IPs in Pakenham. There are some nice pockets, but there are also areas with a bit of a reputation. In between Berwick and Pakenham is also Officer which has been developed massively in the last few years. There is also more shops and infrastructure being built there.

Long story short, my order of preference would be

Harkaway, Berwick, Narre Warren (North, south is less sought after), Beaconsfield Upper, Beaconsfield, Pakenham, Officer

The olde village! Is there a town bell ringer there every Saturday?

Kael are you moving into the area because you are working there or it's what you can afford?
You asked people what is better but it all depends on the individual and their lifestyle
Some prefer inner city because it's close to work in the city and there lattes
Some like the bay as they like the beach, fishing, swimming, sailing etc
Some like the south east as they can go bush bashing, fishing at western port or surfing at the island (half way between work and play)
Some like the outer east and north east because of its natural beauty
Some like the west because.... It's cheap and close to the city

+1 to BBMick. I think a fair summary.

I know all those areas very well. Olde Berwick is the best spot, by a mile. Anything that you can walk to the main street is good, and there is a favourtism (pricing/preference) to 'North of the Highway'.

Some of the areas mentioned are just flat and having heaps of 500m2 blocks with new houses built.

The Hunt Club is a good example. It used to be just a Hunt Club (funnily enough!). They developed it, it buts against Cranbourne, and now Narre Warren and Now Clyde. Clyde is exapnding out to Five Ways, which will roll into Tooradin.

But in Olde Berwick, land is restricted. Older houses that are good for renos or knockdown replace.

Berwick from a pricing stand point has been flat to minor growth. I think this reflects the scarcity in the Older areas.

Back