Best and brightest ideas for........

.....School Fund Raisers! :)

My daugter's school has a core group of parents/teachers who are constantly trying to raise extra money for what really amounts to the purchase of worthwhile basics. It's a Public School and there are invariably another Group who whinge and moan everytime they're asked to buy a $2 raffle ticket as the mentality seems to be the school should be paying for everything. Not reality unfortunately with the funding they receive. :(

The P&C etc is already working hard on a number of small fund raising ideas and would probably be thrilled to make anything over $15,000pa.

So here is the question:

What have been some of the best and brightest School Fund Raising ideas you've come across, or indeed you think might work?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm working on a couple of ideas but I can always count on new ideas from the Forum.

:)

I am really not impressed with all the scholl fundraisers, not only from my childrens' schools, but also from all my colleagues' schools.

So I'm going to suggest to my own childrens' schools next year.

I'm happy to pay an amount- say $200- for the right NOT to participate in any single fundraiser. I'm not going to sell chocolates, mangoes, lollies, raffle tickets, or tulip bulbs. (And my children are therefore not going to nag me to go around selling them door to door). I'm not going to make cakes for the fete. And I'll pay readathon money directly to my kids.

Now, if only I could convince all my colleagues to do the same.

(One colleague was trying to sell Sticky Sweet Things for a child care centre. I didn't want SSTs, so I offered just to make a donation instead. She's a very intelligent lady- but couldn't handle the idea of a donation).

Geoff,

In this case, an annual 'donation' is certainly an option. Unfortunately last year when they tried this to reduce the amount of 'individual' fund raisers, only 60% of parents responded. :( An annual payment would certainly be less work for everyone.

It would appear some personality types are happy to pay in one hit but for others you can only get something if you extract it in small, begrudging amounts. For others, even this is too much.

Personally, I really don't mind buying a couple of blocks of chocolates etc. if that is the only fund raiser on offer. If I don't want them I can give them to someone who does. Either way, hopefully my kids wind up with an airconditioner on a hot day, new carpet, better books etc.

I don't know where people think this money goes? It goes to improving their own kid's facilities!

It appears for everyone out there who doesn't want to buy a block of chocolate, there is another who doesn't want to pay an annual fee.

:confused:

Hi Alan.
Although not easy to come by, if anyone knows someone " a bit famous", an item of clothing (or the like) signed by that person may sell a few raffle tickets. In the past, football sides I have been involved with were able to obtain signed jerseys by either a known player or even a whole NRL team. These were not hard to sell tickets in and look a treat once framed. Just a thought.

Regards
Marty

Hey Alan :)

I've just resigned from being P and F president at my kid's school and am enjoying a bit of time away from all the work involved :)
It certainly has been a learning experience, and has really opened my eyes to a number of issues. You really see the very worst and best of parents when you work at the coalface like this. Usually it's the ones with the most to whinge about who do the least for the school in any capacity. It's also been interesting to see that the ppl who appear to have the least time (both parents working, more kids than others etc) actually do more than most.

Fundraising involves work, time and commitment. Three things that not a lot of parents seem to have these days. We have enormous problems at our large school (over 520 families) even generating enough ppl to coordinate such events. Fundraising levvies have been suggested in the past, but, maybe because of the foibles of the Catholic system, have been rejected outright. Not every parent is happy to contribute in this way either, as they are willing to help out instead, and may not be as cashed up as others. Don't forget that we already pay fees and building levvies as well.

Donations are always gratefully accepted at our school, and we have several parents who send the full boxes of lollies back with a cheque enclosed instead. Fair enough too. At least they support our call for better resources :)

In the end, as you point out, it's all about providing better basics for our children, things like portable shades for sporting events and money for more readers and maths materials. Our fete provided funds for much needed new desks and chairs and carpets as well. Never mind the big ticket items like air conditioning- the only places in our school that are artificially cool are the demountables and the staffroom. We despair of ever having enough money to simply upgrade our antiquated wiring system (around $70K) so we can even install a/c units.

But I digress.....

Some of the more successful fundraisers that have worked well in our school over the last three yrs have included the following:
Binka snake lollies (enormous response with $10K profit)
Krispy Kremes (but I'm beginning to think these have been done to death)
Fete (huge amount of work but community binding :) )
Walkathon
Concert and sale of dvds and videos of the event
Book Club - Social is the name of the company, from memory
Auction/trivia nights (signed sporting photos do generate a lot of interest, as has already been mentioned)
Raffles with decent prizes (our last one generated $5K but we had a 5 day holiday at a resort as first prize)

I'm sure others will list more, and I look forward myself to passing on anything worthwhile to the committee for next year. Bring it on all you parents!!

Thanks.

Stumbled upon this book. Looks like it has a few years of experience in it.

I particularly like the idea of saving half of what you earn so some contribution can eventually come from investments. :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_2/103-1830921-8779807?v=glance&s=books

I know exactly what you mean about bringing out the best and worst in people.

Last year the principal organised a single lunchtime movie as a bit of a fundraiser. One parent assumed that this had obviously been done illegally and contacted the relevant authorities to dob her in. Needless to say all commercial fees and approvals had been received to show this movie but the parent involved couldn't be bothered to ask before their letter of complaint. I totally agree, fundraising for schools has to be one of the most thankless tasks and yet is often the parents of some of the beneficiaries who complain the loudest.

Hi Alan,

Arrange an evening "Optimised Investment Structure" course at the school; for the parents and I will donate all the course entrance costs to your fundraising excercise :)

regards,

Steve

Steve Navra said:
Hi Alan,

Arrange an evening "Optimised Investment Structure" course at the school; for the parents and I will donate all the course entrance costs to your fundraising excercise :)

regards,

Steve

Now theres some creative marketing and a win-win situation. Excellent suggestion Steve.

Back