Best approach to buy interstate??

Hi all, i have narrowed down the suburbs that i want to purchase my first IP in Vic. Problem is, i'm in SA. I've been searching the net for properties in the areas that i'm interested in. I have called up local agents in the area asking questions regarding the properties. BUT most of the agents seem to be quite reluctant in taking more photos of the properties(wonder why????) How will I be able to get photos of the property? This is so i can put an offer on it and arrange for things like building/pest inspections etc....Help needed!!! Any suggestions and feedbacks welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm no expert but I would want to look myself, get someone I trust to, or pay a buyers agent to look at properties before signing a contract. Victoria is so close to you, go and check it out.

Just how would you know if that great looking home at a great price is not next door to something undesirable, and nobody else wants the property. It's not like the realestate agent is going to tell you it's negatives.

I'd also check with council to see what was planned for the suburb/neighbourhood/street.

extradry why not do it this way;

• Identify potential properties
  • Discuss these in great detail with the agent
  • As weg has suggested, give the council a call to identify any potential problems on the horizon
  • Liase with the agent/s concerned to visit the property/ies.
  • Then... make the journey across to VIC and take a look at your shortlist.

I am sure others have purchased without physically viewing before, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing this.

Extradry,

look in your own back yard first. Once you have at least two or three in Adelaide and you consider yourself to have a land tax problem.......then look interstate. Much easier to start your IP journey this way

I know people buy sight unseen, but I think it is very risky.

It is not only the property you are buying, but the surrounds that affect the value. We have seen promising properties on the internet, but when we have inspected them we have found something detrimental just out of camera range - either high tension power lines, backing onto a railway line, a vacant graffiti covered block of shops etc. These things don't necessarily affect rental income, but will be a factor in attracting tenants or if/when you decide to sell.
Marg

Hi all, i have narrowed down the suburbs that i want to purchase my first IP in Vic. Problem is, i'm in SA. I've been searching the net for properties in the areas that i'm interested in. I have called up local agents in the area asking questions regarding the properties. BUT most of the agents seem to be quite reluctant in taking more photos of the properties(wonder why????) How will I be able to get photos of the property? This is so i can put an offer on it and arrange for things like building/pest inspections etc....Help needed!!! Any suggestions and feedbacks welcome.

Make a trip there one or weekends a month, organise a full day's worth of inspections, and go inspect.
Alex

Thanks for the replies guys. I have actually just returned from Vic, to look at a few different suburbs, basically just to get a 'feel' of the areas. Now i have narrowed down and been busy searching the net. By the way, I'm looking at Werribee/ Hoppers Crossing.

I think I would have to agree with most ppl here and inspect the properties in person, just to make sure eevrything is ok. I'm looking at Victoria because for the same price (around 200k) i see more opportunities for growth in the long term.

Just to make sure, travel expenses and other costs involved prior to buying the IP would not be tax deductible would it? Also, I want to have the option to be able to subdivide the land in the future. So, when i have made my offer, do i subject it to council approval? Or can i get it checked first by the council before i make my offer?

Anyone keen to share how they purchase properties sight unseen?

Regards,
extradry

You are correct, travel expenses and other buying costs are not tax deductable. Keep your receipts however, because if at anytime you sell these items get added to the cost base.

To ensure you have the potential to subdivide, you need to go to the council in the suburbs you intend to purchase and speak with the town planner(s) as to the requirements they have and the plans/vision they have for the area.

Making your offer subject to council approval is unlikely to allow you to secure a suburban "house on land" at present. You mention you wish to subdivide the land in the future.....how far into the future? No one will allow you to tie up a standard house for several months for you to get approval. You need to be informed up front of council requirements, so when you have one (or preferably two or three) you're keen on, go to council and get their view. Of course this will not be binding but they can give you an idea as to what may be achieved there now.

You need to become an expert in an area (one or two suburbs), hence my earlier advice about looking in your own back yard first. If you are still keen to proceed with a Melbourne purchase, do as much due diligence as you can online and with google earth and finding comparable sales. Scour the threads here on Werribee and Hoppers Crossing and learn as much as you can. Also to enhance development potential in the future, allow at least 300 sq m of land per dwelling/site. If for example you were keen on a two town house development, I would aim for at least 650 sq m. Also go for corners to enhance access. You will pay slightly more for a corner.

I have purchased interstate (both Gold Coast and in Sydney), however not sight unseen. Others may be able to share their tips for purchasing in this manner.

Hope this helps.

Make a trip there one or weekends a month, organise a full day's worth of inspections, and go inspect.
I wouldn't buy unseen to save on travel costs, even if the property were in Iceland. There's nowhere on the globe that travel costs outweigh the financial difference between a good and poor investment decision.

If you see a property that you think is just too good to wait until you get over there to put in an offer, then make your offer subject to physical inspection within 7 days. Just use this tactic sparingly, obviously, or you'll soon have the agents stop taking you seriously.

I think that's what i'll do, travel over to have a physical inspection before purchasing. Thanks for your insights guys, been really helpful!!

Michael: I guess i'm looking for a property with the potential to subdivide in the future...maybe 4-6 years time?? I definitely won't be submitting a contract STCA. But I want to be able to know that I can do it. And i agree with you, in bringing the contract to council and asking for their view. Would a town planner be the best person to speak to? And does this normally incur any charges?

Hi extradry,

Just wondering whether you have a look @ Tarneit / point cook to make better of your comparison.....

I have done some research, it seems that weribee and hopper crossing is pretty good n terms of facility ie. shopping mall and train station....

but if you look at Tarneit, there is alot of development going on over there ie. schools, child care and retirement village around in asset1 development area
(disc : not an agent of anyone, independent ip investor).

Please let me know if I am wrong .......

I think that's what i'll do, travel over to have a physical inspection before purchasing. Thanks for your insights guys, been really helpful!!

Michael: I guess i'm looking for a property with the potential to subdivide in the future...maybe 4-6 years time?? I definitely won't be submitting a contract STCA. But I want to be able to know that I can do it. And i agree with you, in bringing the contract to council and asking for their view. Would a town planner be the best person to speak to? And does this normally incur any charges?

Hi Extradry,

good strategy to buy as much as land as you can with a renter on it for now. Increases options and potential to manufacture another site (or two) for the future, thereby value adding.

A town planner is definitely the best person to speak to at the council. THere is no fee to ask them for their view on your potential development on your prospective purchase. Don't tell them you're going to do it in 4-6 years though. The town planning departments at councils are usually very willing to help with advice. Remember what they say is not binding but it will give you a rough idea. Perhaps have a few addresses for them when you approach for their advice. Usually it is best to speak to the head town planner although this is sometimes difficult. As a first port of call the town planning desk is a good start.

As you are keen on Victoria have a look at www.dse.vic.gov.au and familiarise yourself with some of the broader planning issues, rescode, etc. Then of course the local council for the suburb you are intersested in is paramount to understand what the council's vision is for the area.

Good luck

Back