Best credit card for Overseas transactions (lowest currency conversion fee)

BV said:
Martin,
I was in Europe for xmas and found that Visa was accepted nearly everywhere and I didn't notice any O/S transaction fees on my monthly statement.
I did notice though that the exchange rate was not the best on my VISA purchases but it didn't matter much as I had already saved money by not buying travellers cheques.
If you take cash the Aussie $ is best, you also get better exchange rates for cash than travellers cheques. Shop around as exchange rates vary between banks.
When you run out o cash you can always withdraw cash from an ATM.
Cheers
BV, perhaps previously the fee was just incorporated into the charge so you would not notice it? Have a look at your online statement for transactions after 1st of April 2005. It only started appearing now. I am with St George too although not a credit card - Multi Access / Visa.

I've just received a credit card statement from NAB. It says "Some accounts have been overcharged on the foreign currency transaction fee for transactions made Jun 98 - Jun 02. Average amount overcharged is 50 cents. If you made foreign currency transactions in Jun 98 - Jun 02 you may be eligible for a refund ..."

Back