Best makeover for a courtyard

Small courtyard (approx 30m2) off granny flat on IP needs work done. Currently just loose soil. Area is flat and is off the living area facing south. Would be an area where tenant might put small table and chairs.

Looking for an economical, low maintenance option. I read that large pavers were suggested as a good option but also wonder what people think about concrete, and any ideas on costs for the different options.

Would like to see the costs kept below $1000. Not in a position to do it myself but will use a reasonably priced handyman. Timber decking looked good as shown in another thread, though probably not practical long term.

Seeka, this is the courtyard of an IP I have....The area is basically the same size as you have...Simple, low maintenance and cost effective.

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• Court Yard.jpg
    Court Yard.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Courtyard.jpg
    Courtyard.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 479
Rixter, did you have the courtyard done? If so, roughly how much did it cost.

Looks good and sorts out one problem I thought about - How a table and chair can sit flat on pavers. Are the pavers close to the door cemented in?

I assume there's weed matting under there keeping it maintenance free?

My PM organised it all for me...had it done a few years ago so dont have the exact cost at my finger tips now....it came in under $1000 tho.

None of the pavers get cemented in...all they do is run a header (bead of cement) along the outside edge of the outer pavers & that locks then all together & keeps them from spreading/moving.

Last edited:
Small courtyard (approx 30m2) off granny flat on IP needs work done. Currently just loose soil. Area is flat and is off the living area facing south. Would be an area where tenant might put small table and chairs.

Looking for an economical, low maintenance option. I read that large pavers were suggested as a good option but also wonder what people think about concrete, and any ideas on costs for the different options.

Would like to see the costs kept below $1000. Not in a position to do it myself but will use a reasonably priced handyman. Timber decking looked good as shown in another thread, though probably not practical long term.

Hi Seeka,

I can't see how you could get someone to do this for you that cheaply. Rixter must have got lucky! :D
Concrete is around $60 - $70 per sqm finished - Pavers start from $20 per sqm + laying costs of $30 - $40 per sqm. Turf is a problem on the south side but you may be ok with a shade tolerant buffalo variety $8 per sqm + prep and laying. Any gardens would have to be edged against turf. Forget about decks for anywhere near that price.

All these costs escallate if you have poor access. Sorry to spoil your expectations. :(

What are the dimensions of the area?

Rixter your courtyard is ideal for an IP exactly what you and the tenants want- Simple, low maintenance and looks good!

Seeka, this is the courtyard of an IP I have....The area is basically the same size as you have...Simple, low maintenance and cost effective.

Rix - for it's intended purpose, ie a rental. it's perfect.

If I was an owner occupier or fussy tenant (which may not be your market - I'm assuming this is a lower-middle end rental), I'd be concerned about the following:

The barbecue end creates visual interest with the stones between the pavers, which is interesting and good (effectively creating two zones). But the area is less inviting to use and less functional than if the paving was continuous; the stones in between aren't kind to bare feet and it's not so good if you want to add visitors chairs (or a sun lounge) or wheel the barbecue elsewhere. And as space is limited it may be desirable that what's there is useful (and look good as well) rather than being 75% ornamental.

I'd also be concerned about the possible lack of shade at some times. Also assuming it's afternoon sun the heat coming through that exposed wall with no eaves. A pergola might fix both.

Of course doing these might double cost that won't necessarily be recouped in higher rent or valuations (although shade might cut the tenant's a/c bill). But when measured against being fit for purpose it looks fine.

Looks almost perfect for the OP, except I would continue the paving along the whole length. Is there an issue of drainage to consider?

As the OP's courtyard faces south, shading from the sunlight isn't an issue at all. I think the challenge would be to maintain privacy while letting in as much sun as possible considering the aspect. Also the lack of sun would make gardens an issue.

What do people think of a built in BBQ in this situation for a rental GF?

Hi Seeka

All these costs escallate if you have poor access. Sorry to spoil your expectations. :(

Access isn't the greatest. There is a walkway approx 2 metre wide but no access for a vehicle.

What are the dimensions of the area?

It's a quadrangle approx 5m X 8m X 1.2m X ? (10m?- don't have this last length)

There is a tenant in place now, so as long as I 'fix' the problem area, the look of the area isn't as important at this time. Would like to sort it out for the long term though.

While functional low maintenance is my first inclination, I figure a more attractive area such as Rixter has, even if less functional, would be a bigger pull to the majority of future tenants. However, extending the paving as suggested would push the price up significantly I assume.

Given the similarity of costs, what would be the pros and cons with concrete?

Artificial turf anyone?

Being flat, guess Rixter's option with the stones should sort out basic drainage. No particular drainage issue that I am aware of. Having concrete might create a one though.

Fine pea gravel (the kind that packs down, not the pebbly stuff that makes crunchy sounds when you walk) and some kind of creeping plant, e.g. bougainvillea, jasmine, etc.?

There is a tenant in place now, so as long as I 'fix' the problem area, the look of the area isn't as important at this time. Would like to sort it out for the long term though.

While functional low maintenance is my first inclination, I figure a more attractive area such as Rixter has, even if less functional, would be a bigger pull to the majority of future tenants. However, extending the paving as suggested would push the price up significantly I assume.

Given the similarity of costs, what would be the pros and cons with concrete?

Artificial turf anyone?

Being flat, guess Rixter's option with the stones should sort out basic drainage. No particular drainage issue that I am aware of. Having concrete might create a one though.

You need to put artificial turf over a hard surface like concrete - I suspect - so no saving there.

Concrete is permanent with no weeds although if pavers are correctly laid you shouldn't get weed issues. Pebbles can get weedy even if you lay plastic or weedmat under. (weed seeds can germinate in the gravel)
Polished concrete or exposed agg looks better than plain but you will pay more. All concrete products can get hot in summer so it would be handy to have some shading from vegetation or awning if there is space.
Access of 2m is plenty for barrowing materials in - as long as it's not steep.
I wouldn't be worried about drainage - just slope any hard surface away from the house. Is the house on a slab or stumps?
Is the yard exactly south facing or SE or SW? If it gets a few hours of winter sun the buffalo turf would be the best option with, perhaps, a smaller paved area for table and chairs?

Still confused about the dimensions as this doesn't make sense? :)

Feedback and photos have been very helpful and much appreciated.
Guess I have to look at more $$$ for most options though, except the gravel option.

Rockstar - The courtyard is an irregular shape so the fourth side of the quadrangle is longer than it's opposing side.
It faces more to the SW. Turf could work, but being a granny flat it's a bit of a grey area about who needs to maintain it. Found some info on synthetic grass and it can be laid down over crusher dust, but the costs are still up there with the other options.
House is on a slab.
Good point about the 'heat' of the concrete, and subsequent cost to improve it's appearance.

Seeka,
This is one of my rentals, marbau decking to bring level up to same as internally, inexpensive bamboo screening and low maintenance pot plants from Bunnings.

Ross :D

Attachments

• balcony.jpg
    balcony.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 208
Could try pale colored concrete stamped or patterned to create a better effect than plain concrete... or, if you have a patient tenant, could try to create a mowing-free mini mondo grass lawn. Only problem is that it will take a long time to fill in as it's slow growing.

Getting some good ideas.

I like the look of decking but want something that is even less maintenance. Ross, your decking looks as if it is a balcony of a unit, or is it at ground level?

Checked out the mini-mondo grass. Probably leave it this time as need something more immediate, but can see how it might work on some borders to improve the look of the courtyard at a later stage. Thanks.

Getting some good ideas.

I like the look of decking but want something that is even less maintenance. Ross, your decking looks as if it is a balcony of a unit, or is it at ground level?

Checked out the mini-mondo grass. Probably leave it this time as need something more immediate, but can see how it might work on some borders to improve the look of the courtyard at a later stage. Thanks.

In line with some of the posters above Seeka, maybe post some 'before' photos of the area for discussion?

Back