BIG PROBLEM : Neighbours Tree

Hi Everyone

I have a property in Redland Bay QLD and I live in WA.

Recently I found out that my property has mould growing over the walls and ceilings. Upon further investigation it has been discovered the problem is coming from the neighbours trees.

This tree is so massive, it is growing over the top of two roofs and because my gutters are constantly full and the property is getting no sunlight the house is damp.

The owners dont care and I have just had a quote from a tree lopper who said it will cost $3500 just to get the branches to the fence line but that it will need to be done annually.

Any ideas?? I dont know if I should take this legally further?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Y-Man

I cant pay $3500 every year to cut back someone else's tree.

That is a crazy expense. They are not interested in spending money or doing anything about the problem.

I believe you need to have the tree deemed as dangerous (and it will depend on the rules of your local council as well). Although not sure what type of public risk needs to be involved for the coucil and their mediation services get involved. An arboriculturalist or appropriately qualified person (check with your council) would need to do the work.

How big and what type of tree is it? Some councils have rules for significant trees (generally measured by the size of the tree circumference - see size does matter!), which means you may even need to have the council approval before cutting back the tree.

Tree lopping is not cheap, I recently had a quote for a propsective purchase to cut donw 3 bloody large pine trees. $10,000 thankyou very much. :eek:

I sympathise - I have a neighbour (of my PPR) who insists on growing enormous "weed" trees (ie declared environmental weeds) that drop %$#* all over our roof and in our swimming pool.

Sadly, the law in QLD is on their side (I've looked into it). You can cut the trees back to the fenceline, but no further, and there's no obligation on them to contribute a cent. And whilst the trees may be enormous right now and cost $3500 to trim back, there's no way that it should cost that much every year. I would be getting additional quotes, as I sense the lopper is aware that you're a distant owner and is taking advantage of you. We get our neighbours' trees trimmed about every 3 years and it costs us about $1000 each time, to trim back about 4 or 5 enormous trees.

If you get anything out of the neighbours, it will only be out of the goodness of their hearts, so definitely go for the friendly "let's be fair" approach rather than the legal approach, as they'll dig in and do nothing if it comes down to legalities.

Incidentally, if the trees are that big, I'd also be seeking an arborist's advice as to whether the roots could be doing any damage to your foundations or drains, as they're not responsible for that either :mad:

Sorry I couldn't give better news.

A portable drill with large diameter bit in it, and a bottle of concentrated roundup will provide the motivation for them to remove the now dead & dangerous tree;)

Y-Man

I cant pay $3500 every year to cut back someone else's tree.

That is a crazy expense. They are not interested in spending money or doing anything about the problem.

As Tracey mentioned - I'd say that's the cost for the first time since the tree is obviously hanging well over your property. Once that's done, the ongoing trim back to keep it at the fence line surely wouldn't be as much ie. how much can a trees branches grow in a year - a meter or so?

Thanks for all your help everyone... and S P your a funny person!!

OZPERP any chance I can get the contact details for your tree lopper please?

It is crazy, this tree is actually damaging the roof of my house and the neighbours house.

Thanks again

Sorry, I'm away at the moment and can't recall my tree lopper's name, and in any case, I'm on the extreme opposite end of Brisbane...

I'd do a search on www.truelocal.com.au under "tree lopping" and get 2 or 3 quotes. It's unbelievable how much they can vary.

Good luck!

Our tree is said to be damaging our next door neighbour's tiling. It is a significant native tree, and when asking the Council for permission to cut it down, they said that there is never any way to prove whose tree is responsible for any damage to anything where there is more than 1 tree (unless it falls on top of something) and that in any event, the developers should have built the properties in a manner that any tree roots wouldnt cause any damage.

Back