Bill Zheng newsletter - lack of global credit to cause price crash.

Bill Zheng has just sent out a very interesting article on his take on the property market.

Here is an extract:

If you examine the first diagram carefully, you will see a strong correlation between residential property prices and finance:

* The money supply of Australia has gone up by average 10% a year, so has residential property prices growth in the same period;
* Finance (credit) for Australia (foreign debt) has gone up by an average 13% a year, so has the total return (growth + yield) of properties if you take away tax manipulation. (For those who care to dig deeper, this is because our foreign debt has to absorb the yield from properties because Australia has no cash flow as a country. All the cash flow generated within our economy is represented as debt at the country level). This also proves that a nation’s wealth is best represented by residential properties.

If you agree with me up to this point, then the key for property prices to continue to go up like before is whether we can continue to borrow money from overseas at the same pace we have been able to achieve in the past.

Imagine you are the person running the Australia family and you are forced to borrow more money from the international lending community each year. In your loan application you would have to write:

* Our family has had negative cash flow every year, because we consume more than we produce.
* Half of our family doesn't work and we have virtually no savings.
* We have been relying on borrowing new debt to pay old debt and living expenses for the last few decades.
* Oh by the way, our LVR is already above 60%, thanks to your generous lending over the last few decades, but if you continue to lend us money at the same pace, we will run out of equity very soon.
* While we have no idea how we can ever pay back your debt, we really can’t survive without more loans from you.
* Could you please not worry about it for now and just lend us the money one more year?”

I don’t know whether everyone would find this loan application amusing. But I can tell you that most sane finance professionals will find it very much so! ;-)

I know some of you think that we are only 65%LVR as a country, why wouldn’t the international lenders let us run our debt to 80%LVR like our residential property?

The short answer is that the larger the debt, the lower the LVR, this is just a general lending principle. For example, you will be hard to borrow 80% on a $5Million house, let alone a $1Trillion one. In my view, 65%LVR would be our limit as a country, and if we continue along our current trend we will reach 65% in 2009!

So the bad news is that the credit line Australia’s property growth so relies on is about to be drawn to its full limit. Australia will be forced to pay down its debt, and there will be less finance available to property buyers. At the very least, the pace of growth for finance will drop.

So if this happens, our property prices will be negatively affected at the national level. Obviously there are still better performers in different locations, while some may drop further than average, others may hold up quite well or even rise against the trend. (I will focus on finance and leave this to Residex to tell you more about this in our November seminar series. To find out more about these events click here).

We have been a lucky country, there are a few positive elements in our financial structure that US doesn’t have, and we have been given extra time to get ourselves prepared, but we shouldn’t take this for granted. We should make the most out of them ASAP.

* The foreign debt of Australia is mainly from the private sector, our government hasn’t borrowed much. When we reach 65%LVR as a country from a private sector’s perspective, international lenders may not want to lend us more money unless the government steps in to borrow. This is very similar to providing a personal guarantee from the government.
* If the government steps in to borrow, we may have more time to run our credit line as a country, and property prices may not need to fall immediately. But you have to remember the problem is still there, we are just given more time:
o The US is a sad example for Australia if we go down this path.
o The US has a huge foreign debt problem just like Australia; their government has also borrowed to the hilt, not just private sector.
o The US government and financial institutions are forced to take extra risk in obtaining debt from overseas to keep things going, they even put their worst borrowers (the sub-prime borrowers) on to help secure the country’s debt.
o The sub-prime borrowers in US are just the weakest link that got broken first, they are the victims of their foreign debt problem.
o The fact that we don’t have sub-prime issue here doesn’t change the fact that we have the same problem source as the US. So everyone be warned, somewhere someone will be the weakest link that may be broken here in Australia, if our foreign debt problem continues.
* Our interest rate still has a few percentage points to cut. This can hold our property prices for a little longer. We are in a much better position here than the US. They do not have much room left to move with their interest rates.
* Our big 4 banks are all AA rated. There are only 14 AA rated banks in the world and we have 4 in Australia.
* Our deposits are guaranteed by the government. This will hopefully avoid any unnecessary domestic pressure on our banking system.
* As a last resource, Australian government can always sell some assets such as natural resources to pay down our debt, or use our fiscal surplus to buy us a bit more time.

Right now, the biggest threat to Australian property prices is not our domestic economy, which I believe is reasonably healthy. The biggest threat is actually coming from the global financial market; it may be too much for our government to handle if the following deadly combination happens too quickly.

This deadly combination is that:

* international lenders pull money away from our market because of their own problems (similar to your lenders recalling your mortgages to meet their own commitment), and
* the slow down of global demand for our exports which we rely heavily on paying our foreign debt (similar to loss of income).

If this happens, I am very much certain that property prices won’t hold up well in many areas of Australia.

Link to the full article together with some great graphs - http://info.investorsdirect.com.au/...90277&Token=22C7F6FA04E711D7F179C33A2B178E98E (I understand this has my 'EmailId' in it, although I don't know how to link to it any other way).

Would love to hear peoples views on this.

I also just received it David,

I heard him speak a couple of months ago and his words about sensible LVR's still echo in my ears.

A very conservative stance from someone who has a Mortgage Broking business and was offering cashflow loans (IMO quite aggressive) a few years ago to capitalise the first few years interest also to enhance servicibility.

David, that is a very important analysis, and a nice analogy.....one I have been trying to get to the bottom of myself for 3 years........I have attempted to work out how much additional debt serviceability Australian households have had since property prices began their rapid rise in the late 90s. Unfortunately, I don't have the economics background to have got very far with it, but did spot some RBA commentary some time ago that alluded AUssie households could absorb even more debt.

Thanks for posting it. It is very illumining to me.

I cant even get past the first paragraph:

(For those who care to dig deeper, this is because our foreign debt has to absorb the yield from properties because Australia has no cash flow as a country. All the cash flow generated within our economy is represented as debt at the country level). This also proves that a nation’s wealth is best represented by residential properties.

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Someone care to have a go translating that?

Hi BT,

I'm with you, I would like that reworded to make sense.

To follow that up with this....

If you agree with me up to this point,

well no sorry, I cannot agree with him up to that point, after that paragraph..:rolleyes:

bye

Hi

Isn't this the guy that was in with Ed Chan and Co. Mortgages are your friend get yourself into debt up to your eyeballs debt is good brigade.

Gee i would hate to be at he level of debt they were suggesting it seems not that long ago.

How quickly the tune changes.

What solutions are these people offering absolutely none they are incontrol so it seems with the debt rising and now it is out of their control.

If you followed their model your fate lies in
Financial Markets
Govt Borrowings
Credit expansion
Values being maintained
LVRs not being decimated

Gee alot of variables there in my books.

If you lose your job its curtains.

Again the seminar brigade walk away with the cash and the followers are left holding the baby.

At least Bill has signalled some warnings but the others haven't seen much in the way of What to do? if you are in this so called Wealth Creation Model they created.

A famous person once said:
May God save the Queen because nothing will save the Governor General.

Well this may change
May the Tax payers save the banks because nothing will save the Mortgagees.

cheers
BC

I'll have a go. I think what he's saying is that a LOT of cashflow (personal i suppose) is used to pay debt.

Most of that debt is used to pay mortgages so Australia wealth is mostly tied up in residential property.

Something like that. Any other takers?

Glad you are all enjoying it. Make sure to check out the full version as it has a good set of graphs. I thought it was very interesting too.

It was John Fitzgerald that first introduced to me that the ones who control property prices are banks through the amount of lending they provide. This was in his book '7 Steps to Wealth'. Many people decide how much 'house' they are going to buy based on how much a bank will lend them. The situation in the US has showed us that this amount is not necessarily as much as they can afford at least at the individual level.

Thanks for posting the article, certainly it's food for thought when such a strong property advocate starts talking the market down like that.

The full newsletter makes it a bit clearer that the message is delivered in the context of selling spots in a seminar. It's sort of, "the bad news is property is overall going down, the good news is this is a great opportunity to make money so come to my seminar to find out how". How much that influenced the bad news message I don't know.

I'm trying to reconcile the overall debt stats with what my little brain thought was reality: 30% own their home outright, 40% have a mortgage, 30% rent. If the average LVRs of those with a mortgage and investors is 60% (I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near that high though), then the overall LVR is still only 42%.

What's the rest? Credit cards, car Leases? Could unsecured debt really be that high?

Aussie Cash Flow...

I'll have a go. I think what he's saying is that a LOT of cashflow (personal i suppose) is used to pay debt.

Most of that debt is used to pay mortgages so Australia wealth is mostly tied up in residential property.

Something like that. Any other takers?

I think Bill was saying (and I am only voicing my opinion)....that Australia's Exports dont bring in enough Dollars compared to what we spend ....

Dollars coming in via - Commodities and exports to India and China..
Dollars going out - To ASEAN countries for Foodstuff...luxury cars to Europe and Japan....

AND...
Money being not available to Banks....from abroad...so that they can OFFER this to Home Buyers as a Mortgage!!

That means we, Australia, has a negative cash flow....

Eventually, when money "dries" up....there will be no more lending, which will then have a downward spiralling effect on Home prices!!

:)

My take...so pls dont crucify me !! I did watch a Bill Zheng DVD...and was wondering why he would want to do so much damage to his business...after all, he is a Mortgage Broker....but I can see why...he is "speaking" his way into the the ordinary Aussie Confidence...and then unleash his business..

KW

My argument to Bills statement is that banks are in the business of lending money, and given Australia has a good track record that this would continue to happen for at least a for a while. I haven't done the maths but I thought it would be more than a year.

I think Bill was saying (and I am only voicing my opinion)....that Australia's Exports dont bring in enough Dollars compared to what we spend ....

Dollars coming in via - Commodities and exports to India and China..
Dollars going out - To ASEAN countries for Foodstuff...luxury cars to Europe and Japan....

AND...
Money being not available to Banks....from abroad...so that they can OFFER this to Home Buyers as a Mortgage!!

That means we, Australia, has a negative cash flow....

this was the reason we floated the dollar though

It was John Fitzgerald that first introduced to me that the ones who control property prices are banks through the amount of lending they provide.

Reached the same conclusion a long time ago. Lenders control property prices.

- back in 2003, prices in Brisbane could go up 5-10k a week. How does that happen if a lender doesn't agree to elevate finance at that rate. There's no way a valuer could progress values that quickly.

- lenders loosened eligibility criteria, LVRs and interest rates; and now lenders are tightening same.

I got the email too. Interesting that the email is titled "It's time to get ready for the perfect storm approaching our property market".

Does he mean that in the positive ( as most do when they say perfect storm) or negative? The content suggests its in the negative.

But then he talks about the 'Production Era'. Anyone know what he means by that? I'm assuming he means prices will fall but people will need to live somewhere so more emphasis on hi yield IPs close to CBDs. He was also previously espousing getting rid of his outer ring portfolio so that must be it...unless he implies staying out of property altogether.

I reckon he THINKS too much!

Since when has property investing become so hard and complicated. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd rather look at my proposed 2 lot subdivision then read through his newsletter.

Reached the same conclusion a long time ago. Lenders control property prices.

- back in 2003, prices in Brisbane could go up 5-10k a week. How does that happen if a lender doesn't agree to elevate finance at that rate. There's no way a valuer could progress values that quickly.

- lenders loosened eligibility criteria, LVRs and interest rates; and now lenders are tightening same.

precisely. Supply and demand of properties have little to contribute to price.
International credit market (as Australia as a country relies on borrowing) and unemployment rate have the major contribution to property price.

Back