Biotech

Im looking at putting around 10k into the biotech sector, anyone have any tips for companies to investigate?

It can be a risky area, so I had a quick look on the net and came up with BTC, but dont know enough about it to comment really.

Regards
Chomp

geezus!!! biotech?

you wanna watch their progress daily and make sure you know what the results from FDA tests are before they're published.

i can't think of ANYTHING more suited to a 2/5MMA (minute moving average) than biotech.

no offence mate, but in biotech there's no such thing as "reward". it's pain, pain, pain, pain, waiting, pain, pain, pain, waiting, pain, payday (doesn't make up for the pain and waiting).

Yeah, that road is familiar, but I still got the payday and it was worth the wait although came close to selling first.

I just feel with things going the way they are discovery wise etc.. it will be a good performing sector.

Chomp

Yes I hear you minimise the risk hence BTC, but hoping someone might post who has been following the sector closely. I dont mind holding for a year or two.

Chomp

I agree with Aaron.

You don't minimise risk by investing in a fund like BTC. Go on the ASX website, put BTC in the search bar and look at the graph which comes up.

Not pretty.

It depends on what you are hoping to achieve. Are you wanting to trade them or invest in the long term hoping for the new CSL?

1-2 years is nothing, just a blip in the life of a biotech. Even if they have a good product and it's given the green light by the US FDA they still face struggles with funding and marketing. Many of them just hope to get to a certain point and try to be bought out by larger American companies.

With individual stocks in the biotech sector you are at great risk of the volatility caused by pump-and-dumps. This means that there is a flurry of news reports, whizz bang stock pickers writing in glossy magazines, and internet forums full of adolescent ning nongs all going ballistic over impending good news; the price starts to skyrocket and you think - wow! I was a genius to pick that stock and than whoosh! it gets all sold off in 10 minutes flat and you are left holding the dirty socks.

Unfortunately it's not the quality of the product or research which is driving the company in the early days - it's the behind-the-scenes funders who desperately try to get their money out before it all goes under. The games they play leave the small punters way out of the picture.

If you have the talent to trade in a really disciplined way (buying after a large drop and selling when it hits a predetermined target) you can do well, but it requires a large amount of time and dedication.

I have a little bit of play money in VLA. It spends months and months doing sfa then a report comes out and it spikes for a few days then it's back to flat for a few more months.
* disclaimer: do your own research as I have already dropped a ton on trading so maybe I'm not worth listening to......:D

Ive done well with BTA (Biota) over the years. Dont know how they're doing now.

If you have an appetite for risk (with some great reward) biotechs are not bad.

Branching from this to speculative small caps in general, what are peoples views on other small cap species which aren't miners or mining sector related.

I for the life of me cannot think of a viable small cap outside of this sector which isn't 100X more risky than miners.

I have also traded TOE which is nuclear energy but sometimes it doesn't get the volume to trade well.

disclaimer blah blah blah

we putting money into these type of stocks you have to use the term "investing" loosely..

more like trading and speculating.

but hey if you want to get a 1000% return you have to take a risk or 2!

Got lucky with a punt once, made 1000% over 2 days with ADO about a year ago. Still not a bad play now IMO. But don't put down any money that you can't afford to lose, I'm sure those that bought near the top of those 2 days would not have been happy.

Back