BIS Shrapnel see Victoria Flat for 5 years..

wealth moves to the strong hands from the weak hands.

i have a feeling we're seeing a depression in prices thats unwarranted when you look at the macro picture.

dont be surprised if we see a very strong bounce back nationwide in about 5 years.

Indifference,

Did you mean you're anticipating a flat market out until the 'start of 2015', or the 'end of 2015'? And by 'flat for 5 years', did you mean 'the last 2 years plus 3 more', or 'another 5 years from now'?

I mean that in mid-2010, I thought that the Melbourne market had peaked.... so much so that this influenced my decision to sell my PPOR at that time (as did a job opportunity abroad). But rather than roll it into an IP, I took advantage of the property cycle even though in early-mid 2010 many thought my timing was way off.... well it wasn't.

I have stated before that an extended correction was due and that is what we are experiencing right now. Back in 2010 & during 2011, many refuted vehemently that such a correction was ensuing.... actually, that resistance was so bad that I stopped posting in SS for a period of time as the animosity was not worth the effort of trying to have an adult discussion.

Today, nothing in the macro markets has improved and I proffer that the general economic climate has continually soured. I'm not a D&G'er but rather a realist. I look at what is driving economic conditions and all I see is monetization of government deficit spending.... everywhere. Well, this has an effect that takes time to filter into the economy & as this phenomenon continues unabated.... well, you can infer the rest. More of the same to come.

Since it takes so long to unwind central bank intervention, I don't see a new peak prior to 2015 unless something rather dramatic happens in the macro-economic climate. Ie. solve the debt & deficit spending issues. ;) Oh, and many will ponder how this is linked to the property market...*sigh*... just follow the economic cause & effect trail. Eventually the penny should drop.

Utter crap as far as I can see looking at their history, they appear to have been far too optimistic with regards to housing in general

Property forecasters miss mark

11 September 2013

Why don?t we look at some of the company?s predictions over the years that I?ve identified from the tables and charts of publicly available past reports across a number of regions before we make up our minds.

In 2005, BIS Shrapnel predicted the median price for the Melbourne *market in June 2008 would be $360,000 (or thereabouts ? it?s difficult to tell the precise figures from their charts). It benchmarks its predictions against the Real Estate Institute of *Australia?s median price outcomes, which actually showed the median price in Melbourne reached $450,000 in June 2008, a 25 per cent difference.

In that same year BIS Shrapnel said that the median price in Sydney would fall from $500,000 to around $460,000 in 2008. It in fact rose to $546,000, a 19 per cent difference.

Going back to 2002, the median price in Brisbane was predicted to reach $230,000 in 2005. It instead soared to $315,000, 37 per cent higher than BIS Shrapnel?s prediction.

BIS Shrapnel?s forecast for Adelaide was even poorer. They were predicting that prices would rise from $170,000 to $180,000 ? just $10,000 over three years. In fact in Adelaide the median price in 2005 turned out to be $275,000, more than 50 per cent higher than BIS Shrapnel?s prediction.

Since the millennium, BIS Shrapnel has consistently under-projected prices across our capital cities ? at least until around 2010, that is. About then, they became more bullish ? too bullish in fact ? resulting in over-optimism about most of the country?s property markets.

Of course, BIS Shrapnel is not alone when it comes to making incorrect predictions.

Let's just say. If you had bought when this thread started, in inner city Melbourne or inner east Melbourne, you would've made a bucket load.

Back