Blocked drains, surely not my problem

Pushka,
All I was alluding to, was I do not think it is unreasonable to check if a tradesperson is required….

I agree, and in fact I ran another thread about Property Managers just a few weeks ago saying that instead of contacting the owner, or employing a tradesperson to check something, that maybe the PM could do a quick check first to see what the problem was before contacting either me, or a tradie. Slightly different tack but same principle.

But I draw the line at asking the tenant to do something potentially damaging to person or property, just because I as landlord didn't want to call in a tradie. And then if something did go wrong, accepting there may be legal consequences. And that has somehow been intrepreted by some :mad: as being victim mentality.

I will remember to say no if my tenant offers me a cup of tea whilst I am doing soe work...

Hate them to burn themsleves

For what it's worth - as a tenant, and a person with a decent degree of personal humility, I would be embarassed to call the PM about a blocked drain if I hadn't tried the plunger and draino first.

I concede that draino may be harmful, but I use it often at work for one of our drains, it's not that big a deal. Hold your breath for 10 seconds while you tip some down the drain and turn the water on. Not sure how you'd come into contact with it unless you were having draino play fights with everyone? :confused:

On the other hand, when the toilet backs up - I know to immediately call the PM. Why? Because I tried to fix it myself the first time, and I found out that I can't do anything about it inside the building.

I went to some townhouses one day to fix some public lighting there (i'm an electrical contractor).

Meantime, tenant (unrelated to job i was there for but she must've thought i was there for her place also) from unit 1, standing nearby asks me if i can adjust her sensor light (30 sec job).

OK i say, when i'm done here.

While there i found that i also needed a standard BC lightglobe, which very unusual for me not to have, but i didn't have one on board.

I politely ask tenant if she has a light globe and she flies into a speil of how it's not her responsibility blah blah blah.

I then drive all the way to the hardware store for a 50 cent globe, return to job, and install it and check it. OK, done.

I then get in my ute, which is parked near her front door, do my paperwork and start the engine. I go into drive and slowly start to move off.

She hears this and flies out the front door and runs after me yelling "hey, you forgot my sensor light".

I drive nice and slow so that she can almost catch me, and so that i can see the stupid look on her face. Then i drive away.

I still laugh when i think of that day.

And all over a stupid light globe:D

Cripes I had no idea this would set off such a caustic debate. I actually had a look down the hole and it is filled with pegs. The water actually slowly runs away if you just turn the tap on, its letting a tubful that overflows it. I havent had time yet (only use a tub once in ablue moon) but will get some rubber gloves and remove them and see if that works

I'm sure that's all the landlord meant for you to do and using the words "drano" etc were just what came to mind, you know "for example, maybe try this first" just like you did

Last edited:
For what it's worth - as a tenant, and a person with a decent degree of personal humility, I would be embarassed to call the PM about a blocked drain if I hadn't tried the plunger and draino first.

Same here. Not to mention the high % chance of sorting out the job out with 100x quicker with less stress and fuss.

If it doesn't work, then sure, call the PM.

and $10/20? on a plunger.

$2 from most $2 shops.

to many tenants assume the are renting a five star hotel. I guess they expect the landlord to fluff there pillows at night. What would you do if it was your house, would you attempt to unblock the drain or would you call a plumber ?

I always thought it's tenant's responsibility to unblock the drains if they are blocked due to usage, and landlords if it's due to roots etc...

So in my opinion in this case the agency should've called the plumber and taken the money from the previous tenant's bond. Or alternatively call previous tenants and ask them to come and plunge it.

We have had a drain blocked in a laundry tub, it's an oldish concrete type, with to basins sharing the common pipe which makes it twice as hard to plunge, because you need to keep one of the holes closed while you plunge through the other. I have spent probably an hour with a plunger ($10 from Bunnings) on it, trying to unblock it, but it never even crossed my mind to call the property manager.

Well found the time to tackle this problem yesterday. Rubber gloves and long handled bbq tongs pulled out, one rubber ball, dozen pegs, assorted decomposing black 'things' Drain now works. Considering I saved them a fortune for a plumber to pull these things out (which were from the previous tenant) I think they should replace the laundry taps, which I can hardly move, even with 2 hands on them. (that should send you all off into a tailspin):D

Well found the time to tackle this problem yesterday. Rubber gloves and long handled bbq tongs pulled out, one rubber ball, dozen pegs, assorted decomposing black 'things' Drain now works. Considering I saved them a fortune for a plumber to pull these things out (which were from the previous tenant) I think they should replace the laundry taps, which I can hardly move, even with 2 hands on them. (that should send you all off into a tailspin):D

Do you have this service in Victoria, when a plumber comes and for 20 bucks replaces tap washer, shower head to more efficient one and puts restrictors on taps? Or is it just the Queensland thing? We spoke to our property manager and they agreed to cover this service for us if we organize it.

Guess I should change my address, we moved to Qld 3 wks ago. The handyman has tried to fix them, but said they need new insides. My husband is at this moment fixing the side gate so it actually works as well so I will put it to the RE/owner should redo these taps when they get some money in, (they bought the house and then rented it straight away, but must have been rented previously too) as I cant turn them on or off now, and have to go inside to the kitchen

Back