Blow up pool on deck, will the deck hold the weight?

nice photo! although it's a little strange that a flat pitched roof would be built in Canada isn't it? I reckon home owners shouldn't be expected to get up on the roof to shovel snow. As you probably know pitched roofs are built in order to limit how much snow can settle on top.. problem with a flat pitched roof is there's no limit to how much snow could settle from consecutive snow storms.

Having a look at wiki, snow density varies from 8% of the density of water for fresh snow, up to 50% of water for late spring snow. Assuming you have nearly 2m of snow with a density of 30% of water, that's about 6kPa.. a very high load.. but I'd find it hard to believe that a house would be built not being able to carry this load, or come with a caveat that you must get up there with your shovel when it gets to a certain height.

Only way to confirm would be getting an engineer to check the capacity by assessing the beam/joist size and spacings, grade of timber, seasoned/unseasoned etc.

even engineered roofs, misbehave outside of the engineered limits
the wonder of global warming,(not) winters are the coldest with the most snow since 1790
roofs get creaky after there is twice as much snow between melts than normal, for longer, that pic is a steel roof, tht usually sheds snow,
major shopping center has 45 degree pitch steel roof, collapsed the snow drifted high against the building up the roof, and couldn't slide off, and the melting grid couldnt melt all of it quickly enough,
Southern neighbours have been snowed into mush already this season, more snow storms in December than a whole normal winter, and there are 4 months to go
Canada weather: winter; 6 months, spring; 3 months, summer; usually on a wednesday, autumn; 3 months.
one of our houses has a steel roof at 55degree pitch and it still has snow buildup after the snow drifts fill the gap between the roof and the ground (pretty pearl coloured light from the covered windows)
Our flat roof building has huge structure, beams triple what I expect, but you can see bow in the steel on a thick snowcake

Pool is 3.6m in diameter and 760mm high. One of you smart ones can work out hoiw much water it will hold.

Its a hardwood deck, bearers are about 500mm apart.

Any thoughts?

GG
Just have a look and see how the Ledger is set into the wall,you may have to put double bearers,and double joists,in the area to take the load,but that would also depend on how the posts are set on stirrups or in the ground, i have seen pools set-up on large high deck spans they just double all the underfloor timber area and brace every post..imho..willair..

Back