Body Corp question

Firstly I would like to say hello. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and learning heaps but have finally decided to bite the bullet and join in.:)

I am hoping someone may have some experience they could share with me.

We are meeting with an agent tomorrow to make an offer on a unit we like at the Sunshine coast.

We are hoping to buy for a good price and then want to immediately do some renovations.

What I am wanting to know (and am too impatient to wait until Monday to find out :rolleyes:) is to put on security screen doors I am assuming you need body corp approval. How long can this approval potentially take, and what steps do we follow to actually get the approval ?

We are also wanting to install air con so I figured we may as well ask for it all at the same time.

Do we also need approval to rip out the kitchen and renovate ?

This is our first IP and to say I am excited and nervous is an understatement !

Please calm my nerves :D

thanks in advance

Louise

Hi there

you should probably check the by laws for the unit block to see what you can and can't do.

Anything that is a major matter - which might detract from the common property would require body corporate approval.

I note on one of our units - the by laws provide we can install a locking or safety device to protect the lot against intruders, or a screen to prevent entry of animals or insects - we just have to be consistent with the colour, style and materials of the building.

As for air conditioning - check to see if other units have air - as it may have come up before and there may be a resolution in minutes allowing air conditioning units so long as pipes etc are directed away from the base of the building and not too much noise occurs.

Anything inside the unit - does not require body corporate approval (unless it is somehow going to impact upon the other owners) so if you want to rip out the kitchen and renovate - go for it.

thanks

Thankyou Raddles

Other units already have the security screening and at least one has an air con. I thought it would be the case that you could follow what others have done.

I am so impatient :p I just want all the info yesterday !

I plan to call the body corp management company on Monday.

Thanks again

Back