Books

I have plenty of books too and still buy a couple of year.

However, I have come to realise that you learn more by doing rather than reading. So now I definitely do and act more. I spend less time reading now and mostly read to maintain a continuation of mindset.

I can absolutely relate to your post - I re-read my books as well to sustain the wealth mindset as you simply cannot get that from family and friends who tend to wonder why you are putting yourself out like you do for financial independence

I think people will buy less "real" books, but that they will be more expensive ones. So, instead of being filled with trashy novels, our bookshelves will have lovely hardcover books and "display" books.

and of course, there will be people who never move across to e-books....

that is how our library has been filled with classics and books that look good, more display purposes. Something we have always wanted. I would like to have the sliding ladder as well one day.

There are still a lot, (a LOT!) of books I am unable to access/buy via my (Australian) kindle yet, disappointing in some respects.

Bookshelves in my office, it's a reasonably big old room, plus I share books with people. A friend might give me a 'real' book to read, and they might like to take one of mine. I will only be adding to my library, (electronically and 'real' book wise).

SO long as you get the books back. I get attached to books, bit of a collector and get frustrated when books don't come home.

What is the third way of adding to your library?

My mum has the equivalent of a small granny flat out the back, lined with shelves, that's probably where I get it from. I only have a couple of bookshelves worth though.
I would never see a book as a waste of money, as even a well written fictional piece can be educational.

What I regret spending thousands on, are CDs. I threw out hundreds the other weekend, and kept a small sleeve full of really good stuff.
I can fit all my previous collection on a thumb drive!

Actually I don't mind if I dd not have a book returned, having said that I can't recall anyone not returning one...but I figured a long time ago (just for me), if you are going to loan a book, it is with an openhearted thing of be prepared to not have the book returned. And sometimes I actually give books away too. (It's fun).

Secondhand bookshops are a treasure trove, there was one in Dunnolly Victoria recently, got some beauties, about 10 books, some hard cover, all in excellent condition for under $30. Also some a while ago High St/Chapel St area, (Melbourne), some preloved bookstore I wandered into, got some rippers for SFA, and one 2nd hand store in Warracknabeal Victoria...

eg, 'sample of some':

-Origin of the family, private property and the state (Engels)

-Great Australian Eulogies (Edited Richard Walsh)

-Anatomy of personality (DK Adams)

-Man the Unknown (Alxis Carrel)

-Gestalt Psychology (Wolfgang Kohler)

-Encyclopedia of Serial Killers (Lane and Gregg)

-Tools for Thought history/future of mind expanding technology (Rheingold)

-Flawd Architect Henry Kissinger (Hanhimaki)

So I purchase from Amazon a little, real books, purchase kindle when I possibly can, (Amazon again), 2nd hand bookshops/recycler shops-thingos, am card carrying membership of the National library of Australia, plus regional libraries, buy occasionally at 'new' bookshops, more so at airports, eg bought about 6 books I wanted (unable to get on kindle) at Tullamarine and Los Angeles bookshops while waiting to fly. Plus people give me books, you know that networky of likeminded friends, 'ya gotta read this'. We share stuff around like that.

Plus I commenced building up my own classic book collection as a kid.

I am a keen bookworm, but it does not mean I 'do not do'. That would be quite an incorrect assumption; 'If read widely, a lot, therefore must not be doing'. Incorrect.

Plus I love to research.

Also there are various site on the internet, eg Gutenberg that provide some incredible reading material, 'free ebooks' too.

http://gutenberg.net.au/

and:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

or/ (scroll down for freebies):

http://books.google.com.au/ebooks?utm_source=HA&utm_medium=SKWS&utm_campaign=launch

or, plain old google:

http://books.google.com.au/bkshp?hl=en&tab=wp

Plus I think there are other sites too, but I usually find what I want, there has only ever been one book I was unable to source, and that's because it was banned. Or something along those lines.

SO long as you get the books back. I get attached to books, bit of a collector and get frustrated when books don't come home.
?

I never loan anything (books included... and money!) if I will be upset if they are not returned... its one of those things that can really damage a relationship, and I dont think its worth it.
So, I either loan it, with the expectation of never seeing it again, or I dont loan it in the first place.

Thing about kindles is you can accept gifts.

I passed on child's email address to ex. Ex promptly bought her a dozen or two of classics ... Kurt Vonnegut, some George Orwell, Jules Verne collection, Jane Austen collection, Battlefield Earth, the complete philisophy collection, the complete Oscar Wilde collection, Dracula ... all perfectly good titles for someone who's about to turn 11 ... hmmmmmm ...

Not sure I want to know how much physical bookshelf that lot would take up on its own.

I don't know - there is something about books. The touch, feel, smell, kids' illustrations ... ability to read in the bath, at the beach, on your side in bed ...

I don't know - there is something about books. The touch, feel, smell, kids' illustrations ... ability to read in the bath, at the beach, on your side in bed ...

The weight and size of the Kindle was one of the reasons I like it.
I find I cant hold a book for any length of time... too heavy and bulky, even for paperbacks. Kindle is much easier to read in bed and when lying down.

The weight and size of the Kindle was one of the reasons I like it.
I find I cant hold a book for any length of time... too heavy and bulky, even for paperbacks. Kindle is much easier to read in bed and when lying down.

my kindle case even has a light.

I am reading some of dean koontz early books which we not re-released after original printing in 1970's and the books I could find were on ebay etc for about $100 each. Now I have them for free.

I work offshore and have to get helicopters and travel lots so it free's up heaps of space for me.

I was skeptical about liking it when I got it as an early xmas present but it is great.

I work offshore and have to get helicopters and travel lots so it free's up heaps of space for me.

I was skeptical about liking it when I got it as an early xmas present but it is great.

Totally agree it has a wonderful place and purpose if travelling or for school (can download all text books instead of lugging them around) etc ... but if there is an option, I prefer a real book when tucked in bed at night.

Ha ha ha - AND books don't snore. :D They can, however, keep you awake just as much at night. If I find a really good book I find it IMPOSSIBLE to put it down. I will read it from start to finish in one go. I may resemble a zombie in the morning but there's nothing better than a good read (leave it alone you blokes!)

I like biographies and other true stories - especially crime and war stories. I find reading about the lives of real people (everyone from Marilyn Monroe to Winston Churchill) fascinating.

I also love arranging the books in my book shelves according to the colour of their spine - looks good. But that's just my OCD coming out again...

AND they don't pester you for sex (unless it's a really saucy one). AND they don't claim they're hot then hog the covers. AND they don't wake you up at 6am noisily slamming bathroom drawers and cupboards.

I'm probably in the same boat but rather than books I used to buy magazines, I no longer purchase magazines now and have started investing into a couple of non-fiction books which relate to investments, you should always have some form of education to continually stimulate the brain :)

One word - Amazon.com. Fabulous books, on any subject, beautiful art books, delivered quickly and so cheap. As a lifetime insomniac I used to read through the night and at least once a month all night but have ruined my eyes so dont so that any more. First time I downsized I sold 5 boxes of art books to the 2nd hand store but have built up that collection again

Back