Boronia Dodgy?

During my house hunting, I kind of went sidetracked for one day and decided to visit Boronia. Im been mainly focussing on Rowville, but then was enticed by cheaper prices and close train station in Boronia. Visited a property on the east side of the train tracks within kind of forrest area... Seemed like good bang for buck for a already reno'ed place in a nice natural environment.

I don't know much about Boronia but friends kind of comment its a dodgy area, just wondered what other peoples takes are on this suburb?

Seems like if people prefer this area then Ferntree Gully is more desirable area ? well thats my gutt feeling.

Any comments are well appreciated.

Walk around the area yourself and talk to a few locals.
Find someone gardening, they are usually a mine of information.
You will soon get an impression of the area.
Marg

I was told the same thing about bayswater before i moved in.

I have had no problems with the people in the area and its quiet, I wouldnt have a problem buying in boronia

But my van got broken into and cleaned out, the police showed up one of them said that bayswater and boronia where dodgy areas. While the other one said they where alright.

Dave

I believe ppl who have never lived in the suburb would tend to say its rough and a bit dodgy. My friend that lives in borderline Baywater North / Kilsyth says Boronia is rough along with a friend that lives in Rowville. Also my sister says Boronia is rough haha apparently with gangs and my coworker that was a ex-taxi driver would say younger taxi drivers would avoid fares to that area and take it as a no go zone to get out of trouble.

For myself I would believe its a bit rough but if you live in a nice street then you probably wouldn't notice as long as its was one of those hidden pocket areas on the east side with wonderful forrest area or on the safer Knox side West of the trainstation. Perhaps its not so safe to walk the streets at night time along especially near the station, but yeah depends on ppls perception so Im not surprised 50 / 50.

Id much prefer to live in Boronia then Rowville. Boronia getting heaps better - lots of nice older style weather boards and having the mountains so close it does have a village feel. There is also a train station, supermarkets etc etc

More and more younger well educated couples moving there.

Good joint for the price!

My wife came from Boronia, and we call it "BOSNIA"!

However, it is slowly cleaning itself up, especially since the gun shop closed.

Just have to get the scummy people to move out - probably into FTG!!!

If I had a choice between investing in Borina or Roville I know which I would choose. Borina. I don't understand the appeal of Roville. Transport is crap. It's not near anything special (IE. beach) and it's a far way out from the city. In my opinion it has to be one of the worst suburbs in Melbourne to invest in due to cost of property and it's potential. I just don't see potential At least Borina has a train station.

When making an investment decision on property, I don't really put a high value on whether an area is dodgy. That can change over time. There are many other issues to consider over dodigness. If an area is dodgy but has potential (ie. good transport near the beach etc) then I'll consider investing in the area.

If the property is a PPOR, then you do need to consider dodgy issues. However in my experience, from an investment point of view, dodigness mainly offers me opportunities. In my experience every area is dodgy. I come from what most people would consider an affulent backgrounf and I can say where I live has dodginess.

Boronia

I lived in Boronia and didn't have too many problems. You do see some 'unattractive' people hanging around the shops and at the station sometimes but that's common to many suburbs.

I wouldn't have thought Boronia had a bad rep, at least no worse than surrounding areas and definitely no worse than Bayswater. Assuming that most of the people renting around there have lived around the outer east previously (maybe my assumption is incorrect), I wouldn't think that they would have a particularly negative attitude towards Boronia.

We now have an IP there with good tenants in. The yield there is comparatively good. Not sure why, as it has had good CG. Perhaps someone else can comment here.

Boronia has a few positives: Knox Shopping Centre, train station, buses, good access to south east suburbs, eastlink and Mt Dandenong. Not too bad for an outer suburb.

I know people in Boronia, Bayswater and The Basin - don't seem to be anything wrong with them and they don't seem to mind the neighbourhood - although one of them did comment on visiting the car park at the bottleshop on a friday night as "absolutely sensational if you wanted to see the local fauna with the missing front teeth".... (hey his words, not mine!! :eek:)

... and I did get asked for money at Bayswater Station once - but then I've been approached in the City too - and unlike his CBD counterparts, when I replied I had no money on me, he smiled and said, "Well that's ok, not many people in Bayswater do!" :eek:

The Y-man

Haha! Yeah actually for myself I think Boronia is okay, just best to have a slight forest feeling block would be good and fun in a way.

I think that area is more of a Aussie Aussie area though, maybe thats adds to the slight stigma of the area. Should slowly bring itself up though I guess.

Yeah I've been asked around any train station for change in good or bad areas. Doesn't really matter.. Haha! When I visited Vancouver at the bus stop I was given the exact line as here "Do you have any change, I need to buy a ticket to get back home" just given in another accent. for a moment there I forgot I was in Canada was just like back home :eek:

Im pretty sure some young ppl see asking for money as some sort of low level on the side business venture :confused:

Back