"Breaking in" a new home - as tenants!

Hi all,

We've found ourselves in an interesting situation....we're renting a brand new house....and finding we're having to "break in" this house...it's actually an awful experience, quite a few things are going wrong, and we're not sure what to do....

We're on only a 9 month lease because the owners want to move in,they just need to organise their work/children school situation .. (we're literally the first ones to live here, the builder, who lives next door and built the 3 of them had to come over the first day we moved in and steal the gas ignitor from the place next door - they had not moved in yet -to get our gas working)....we've met the owner, she came over after we moved in and the security alarm went off and we had no code. She loves the builder next door, and so we've decided to take the issues to him rather than contacting the agent (which we know will take ages to get things fixed and result in huge costs to the owner) - this builder has already fixed several things for free....the unconnected gas, the incorrect phone lines, the plumbing in the downstairs toilet.......but now some more serious things are coming up - the "reverse cycle" upstairs (in our bedroom, the only one upstairs) isn't working - and one of the downlights in the kitchen is leaking!! The bath is over it, but Geoff swears, and I double checked, there was very little spillage from the bath - it appears the tiles, or whatever aren't "working".

Should we just keep letting the builder next door know of these issues and let him organise to fix it (all free) - or let the owner know what's really happening in her new house? I know there is a "break in" period will all new homes, but I've never had to experience it before (and I NEVER will again by the way!!). We're scared to contact the agent for fear of them trying to charge us for issues that are definitly not our fault. Because the builder is next door, it's been too easy - but I know if it was me, I would like to know if this was happening in a new home we just built or bought - they would have paid around $500k for the place (Newport, Melbourne)

So, should I contact the owner (she gave me her direct number) to let her know what's going on? Or just let the builder fix everything???

I can definitly say we will never live in a brand new house again!! Far too much pressure and things going wrong!

What to do??

Cheers,
Jen

I would make a list and pass it on to the real estate agent.
IMO the owner needs to know to make sure things are being repaired properly.
I would also pass a copy of the list to the builder to make sure things are done quickly .
Good luck.

Thanks BV - if you were the owner in the same situation - would you rather I pass the info into the agent (who will charge to get everything repaired) or onto the builder - who will repair it for free - and then contact the owner to let them know.

In this situation, the owner REALLY loves this builder and seems thrilled that he'll come over to fix everything (this is what we gathered when the day we moved in, the owner was there, things weren't working, she loved that the builder fixed them).

My other concern is that if we contact the RE agent, they may try and pin this on us ("the house was working when you moved in") - yes but it was brand new and untested!!

Should I just call the owner? She has called me already to come around to drop off "No Smoking" magnets for us to put up (yes, we found this hilarious :D ).

Brand new houses suck! :D :eek: :mad:

Cheers,
Jen

Gosh Jen....I'm now concerned about my big renoed Beach House....fortunately the builder is a gem and will fix stuff.

Guess if I was in your shoes, I'd be making the list and updating it regularly for the builder, with copy to the owner, including date items were fixed.

Hope this breaking in period doesn't last too long for you.

Jen
The RE agent will not get anything fixed.
What happens is the moment you report them to the agent
the property manager contacts the owner and he/she then organises these repairs.

It's common to get problems in the beginning so the builder and the owner rely on you to report them.
The builder would have used subcontractors for the construction,
so he just calls them back to do the job properly.

Since you know the owner you can contact him direct.
Don't worry, none is going to blame you and by making this list
you will also get brainy points with the owner for looking after his interests.

The thing to remember is this, landlords when they find a good tenant they look after him.
For example, if I find a good tenant I don't increase their rent often
so they always pay lower than market rent.

ps. And keep an eye on the repair work.
Being picky is probably going to annoy the subcontractors but don't worry
the builder and the owner would love you for it as they both want the jobs done properly.

Also, keep an eye on the doors.
often doors and door frames change size or shape when people move in
and the place starts to dry up and doors don't shut or lock properly.
If you see problems like this, just put them on your list.

When we moved into our new house Mrs BV made up a list 2 pages long.
We kept the builder busy for a while...

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Jen.

I'd contact the PM with any problems as that is who the rent is paid to.

The PM should then contact owner who no doubt will then contact builder.

You could consider calling the owner (since she gave you her number) AFTER calling the PM just to let her know that you have spoken to PM with a few issues. Might get things done quicker that way.

Regards
Marty

Hi Jen

Maybe have a talk to the owner and make them aware of the various problems you are having and ask them how they would like you to handle them.

As BV has suggested make a list and keep adding to it as new problems arise and also the actions taken and by whom.

As long as you keep a track of all the issues and that you reported all problems you will be in the clear. If the RE/owner tried to make an issue of any of these problems then you will have a full record of problems and actions (including the reporting of the same) which you will be able to rely on in a tribunal (if it went this far).

Put it back on the owner its really their problem not yours.

Cheers

Jen

Why not phone the PM and tell her/him of the many problems and how you have handled them to date. Then ASK whether they wish you to continue getting the builder to fix up the problems or do they want you to phone the PM each time. I would have a long list ready to let them know what has been done to date. PMs are busy people, my guess is that PM will say get the Builder then let me know. If its not costing anything then PM won't want to be involved, but will just want to know what has been fixed.

When I did my big reno of the townhouse I lived in it for a couple of weeks after it was finished, to make sure everything was working and discovered, the bathroom basin leaked, light did not work, etc., so was able to get everything fixed before I let it. The aerial slipped through, the plug had been put in place but the installer had not actually moved the antenae to connect it!!!

Chris

Back