Brick dust

We live in a 2-storey double-brick house that is about 25 years old. About a year ago I noticed that red brick dust on the furniture in one room on the first floor. Since then - it appears regularly. I wipe it out, it reappears in a couple of days. For a long time it was only one corner (southwest) of one room, but recently I noticed the same in the adjacent room, and again the southwest corner. The dust looks like orange powder produced when one drills a brick wall. The cornices above look a bit unstuck. I have no idea what it might be. I am afraid of brick-eating pests, but I've never heard of them. Any ideas?

Lotana

Hi Lotana

I would guess that you are experiencing slight movement in the house which has loosened the cornices.

On top of the cornices in all likelyhood is 25 years of accumulated dust which is now able to findits way down to your room.

I suggest that you use some no more gaps or even cornice cement and fix all the cracks. By so doing the dust will not be able to re enter the room (for a while)

You don't mention any other cracks in the house! I would do a thourough check of both the inside and outside of the house to ensure that you have not developed any settlement crakcs. If you find only hairline cracks, not a big concern anything bigger and you may need to seek professional advise.

Cheers

Hi Handyandy,

No recnet cracks anywhere, so I'll do what you suggested and hopefully forget about it for some time.

Thanks,
Lotana

Lotana,

Whilst I agree with Handy, and I think what he says is a good plan, however, if you are concerned, I would suggest that you may wish to look at having a builder come in and inspect the property.

It probably is just the cornices moving, but, gee, I'd hate it to possibly be a structural defect...

just a thought,

asy :D

Adding to LPlate's comments, ground movement could be caused by local construction activity such as a piling (driven piles for bridgeworks or high rise buildings), (road/rail) tunnel excavation, vibratory compaction of earthworks.

Back