Bricks

Will do so in about a week Pinkboy :) Just making sure finance is airtight first.

Given the house is in a HC area - I am not too worried about look. Just as long as its durable. Given the price estimations I am aiming for when revaluing the look doesn't need to be A1 either. Although I think the look will still be there as long as I can get the bricks similar colours/types.

Wylie - very serious about saving as much as possible. I know its unorthodox but I read a chapter in Ordinary Millionaires about a guy who built everything second hand and thought it was a good way to go - but I will be not be sacrificing quality for price. Just no point spending $150k if I can spend $80-100k (though obviously spending a lot of time DIY'ing and chasing bargains - but I am young so my time isn't as valuable as most of yours.)

Why are you feeding this guy who is obviously trolling? You honestly dont believe some guy wants to save by money by using second hand bricks to build an entire house and reckons he can lay them himself by watching some youtube tutorials. Isnt this the same guy who also had a thread about taking a ladder on an airplane to save money and everyone also got sucked in by that one. Too funny.

Poor boy has probably never had so many people give him so much attention... so the stories get more outrageous and drawn out.

Yep, we're creating him ;).

I remember seeing an episode of grand designs where they had to reuse the old bricks for heritage reasons rather than new bricks. It took the guys weeks to knock all the mortar off the old bricks to prepare them for relaying, and cost far more in labour than was saved in materials.

(though obviously spending a lot of time DIY'ing and chasing bargains - but I am young so my time isn't as valuable as most of yours.)

This is the difference of maturity and mentality in investing, but even wider scope; life! Why dont you think your time is as valuable? Why are you in the PI game? Why are you letting outside influences affect what you think?

The only place you have to worry about is your own square metre. No-one else, nothing else matters. Your own square metre is the only place that you can control. The earlier you realize this, and embrace it, then you will become successful.

Im not much older than you, and there are plenty of others in their 20's on this forum who are there or well on their way, making their square metre worth more and more, all built off quality, crunching numbers and listening to those around them - not squabbling about 2nd hand blocks, working off impossible numbers and rediculous off the page suggestions (outside of the box is one thing, but you really are out of depth).

Making quality desicions in the beginning should be your priority, to build a base to work off. You really are setting yourself up on a disaster path here. Too much risk, in all honesty, very little return in the whole scheme of things.

pinkboy

JWR no offence but i had similar ideas when i was 10y old.
Have you ever worked 1 day on a building site? I think you should stop playing xbox and go and do some labouring work, just to see how everything is put together.
I have seen proffesional bricklayers demolishing bricks from 2 brand new houses because inspector wouldnt pass the wall ties.
I have seen a house which couldn't get certificate of occupancy because bricklayers didnt install 10$ flashing correctly, the owner builder couldn't afford repairs, bank took it and now he is bankrupt.
You want to save money?
Hire project builder to build you a house. You will not build it for cheaper.

JWR have you looked at buying a house and having it trucked to the new land? Fairly common, a known technology.

What he said^^^Alternatively look for a free house someone wants removed.Eg:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOUSE-REMOVAL-/280901404230?pt=AU_Real_Estate&hash=item4167074646

JWR no offence but i had similar ideas when i was 10y old.

Like this one?Maybe JWR could go down this road:Eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC1nTGje0pw&feature=fvwrel

Heres another link JWR to listen to while your laying bricks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1j5UGl-1s

Will keep you all updated as I go :)

Thanks for all the help and perils I may experience.

- esp Pinkboy (I'm talking from a commercial perspective my time being less valuable - being still at uni = lower wage - so instead of paying a brickie $50/h if its not too hard I think I can DIY)

Tilt up is no good for residential. You don't have a double wall cavity for services. I think the regulations stipulate you need that in residential dwelling. And if you could use it, you'd have exposed electrical/comms conduits, water pipes etc....ok for a tilt up factory, no good for a home.

JWR, just build a cheap brick house. No one wants to live in a tilt up, colorbond or whatever house. If building a normal house doesn't fit financially, then move on, its doesn't work.

Why do you come up with all these ridiculous money saving schemes. If they were viable, people would be doing them before you. But they're not and no one is, for a good reason.

Is a double wall cavity a requirement in Oz building codes? or just an good idea?
Coz if you built a tilt panel concrete house, you could lay the conduit for electrical when you pour the panel, then box in the services like plumbing?
Isnt that what they do in units where the concrete is someones roof as well as someones floor? run conduit for the lights etc when they pour, and box in the services?
It would require some exact planning- but is there anything legally wrong with this method? Ive considered it myself, sick of my timber queenslander, maintenance, hot in summer, cold in winter...... long for a good concrete wall.

Back