Brisbane Bayside: North (Sandgate, Shorncliffe) vs South (Manly, Wynnum)

Hello Everyone,

I have an IP in Sandgate and realize that southern bayside suburbs such as Manly, Wynnum are generally valued higher than the Northside bayside areas like Shornecliffe, Sandgate & Brighton.

On paper they seem very similar
- both serviced by train lines
- similar distances to the CBD
- both are adjacent to the bay/water

It seems the general sentiment is that Northern Brisbane suburbs are somewhat more desirable than South (similar to Sydney Northwest vs Southwest). So why is it the opposite when it comes to the Brisbane bayside?

I'm interested in some local opinions on why this price differential would exist as i'm from Sydney and don't really know Brisbane bayside intricacies too well.

Interested in your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Q

I have lived here for 55 years and I have no idea. I would gladly live at Sandgate or Shorncliffe. Hubby's family comes from Brighton.

Manly is considerd the blue chip bayside suburb , I understand shorncliffe has some pretty expensive suburbs .

We bought manly Wynnum . Looked at Brighton Sandgate , but SWMBO preferred manly Wynnum .

Cliff

Manly habour and yacht club and proximity to city?
Shorncliffe is upmarket and expensive as well though

Last edited:
It seems the general sentiment is that Northern Brisbane suburbs are somewhat more desirable than South (similar to Sydney Northwest vs Southwest).

Says who?

Not me.

Not me but I'm probably biased

I've never met anyone from one side that thinks the other is better. This automatically kills any reason to debate it right from the get go.

But there ARE objective ways to debate it, for example if you want to target the Asian demographic, it has to be south. If you want to invest near *good* train lines it has to be north. By certain measures there is no bias. But you rarely get this type of level headed discussion!

I'm interested in some local opinions on why this price differential would exist as i'm from Sydney and don't really know Brisbane bayside intricacies too well.

Bringing this back to the reason for the thread is the question above

Northside Medians
Shorncliffe - $731k
Sandgate - $535k
Brighton - $440k
Average across 3 suburbs $568k

South Bayside Medians
Manly - $710k
Wynnum - $593k
Lota - $569k
Average across 3 suburbs $624k

Obviously this is a very raw comparison and does not take into account volume of sales etc......

So the question is why this would be the case when most other things are equal in comparing these bayside suburbs.

Of course not. That person would (or should) simply move.

Obviously they would move. But I mean people that were originally from the other side. I've never met anyone from the south who moved north because they thought the north was better and vice vercer. That's my point.

Obviously they would move. But I mean people that were originally from the other side. I've never met anyone from the south who moved north because they thought the north was better and vice vercer. That's my point.

You are right, we both are. It's a weird phenomenon.

Just wondering, are the land sizes comparable for the same money? Do you have an opportunity to buy 6 or 800 Sqm cheaper in the south?
I reckon there's more coastline south (with many more train stations servicing the southern side, all he way to Cleveland) so there's more chance to buy at any price point (high, medium and low) in the south?

Whereas North, the coastline is limited so it's harder to buy there, you need more patience if you are trying to buy based on set criteria. And if the Sandgate/Shorncliffe area is too hard to buy, people will consider the Redcliffe Peninsula and the Manly/Wynnum area instead as alternatives, therefore lowering demand slightly. Whereas people considering Manly/Wynnum as their first choice mightn't bother considering Redcliffe Peninsula as it's just too far away?

Anyway, going forward, maybe the south side will hold its value better, idk, since the Redcliffe peninsula will have a train soon, it might make people considering Sandgate/Shorncliffe decide Redcliffe is not a bad alternative to buy in instead. Or it could increase demand for Sandgate and Shorncliffe, as people figure out they like being near the water, but not to the extent where a huge price differential will exist between the Redcliffe area and the Sandgate/Shorncliffe area.

Note this is all just my speculating and I've only considered these areas with any sort of meaningful thought for a few hours at most. I didn't know about them at all up until 2 or 3 days ago to be completely honest!

Last edited:
No the south is a joke when it comes to trains. There's only one line that goes to the outer south so 90% of suburbs aren't even serviced, and because there's only one line it's slow as hell. AND due to the volume of commuters from the GC it's awful to ride during peak hours...I've heard of it referred to as the Mumbai Express.

It's like comparing north Sydney where there's only one train line with the western suburbs where there are up to 4 parallel lines running. When there's any problems on the northern lines it creates all sorts of congestion. As someone who prefers the south I would say if you're looking to invest near train lines, go north.

In the south, you'd want to buy near the busways. The south is all about the busways.

Bringing this back to the reason for the thread is the question above

Northside Medians
Shorncliffe - $731k
Sandgate - $535k
Brighton - $440k
Average across 3 suburbs $568k

South Bayside Medians
Manly - $710k
Wynnum - $593k
Lota - $569k
Average across 3 suburbs $624k

Obviously this is a very raw comparison and does not take into account volume of sales etc......

So the question is why this would be the case when most other things are equal in comparing these bayside suburbs.

Take all the post war houses on smaller blocks of land in Brighton out of the equation and then see if the "average" is more closely aligned.

No the south is a joke when it comes to trains. There's only one line that goes to the outer south so 90% of suburbs aren't even serviced, and because there's only one line it's slow as hell. AND due to the volume of commuters from the GC it's awful to ride during peak hours...I've heard of it referred to as the Mumbai Express.

It's like comparing north Sydney where there's only one train line with the western suburbs where there are up to 4 parallel lines running. When there's any problems on the northern lines it creates all sorts of congestion. As someone who prefers the south I would say if you're looking to invest near train lines, go north.

In the south, you'd want to buy near the busways. The south is all about the busways.

Jerrybee, just clarifying. Are you talking about the South coastal Brisbane or just southern Brisbane in general? Because they are different kettles of fish...

Jerrybee, just clarifying. Are you talking about the South coastal Brisbane or just southern Brisbane in general? Because they are different kettles of fish...

South, about 20 mins from the CBD. I used to have to walk like 2k's to catch the nearest train (when I was lucky enough to live near one, as I said there's only one line). And in the old days they only ran every 60 mins. I learned to hate them so much...!

As I mentioned if you're looking south and your strategy is to buy around transport hubs, look to buy near the major bus ways like the one in Springwood and Coorparoo. There are around 10 of them peppered around the south.

South, about 20 mins from the CBD. I used to have to walk like 2k's to catch the nearest train (when I was lucky enough to live near one, as I said there's only one line). And in the old days they only ran every 60 mins. I learned to hate them so much...!

As I mentioned if you're looking south and your strategy is to buy around transport hubs, look to buy near the major bus ways like the one in Springwood and Coorparoo. There are around 10 of them peppered around the south.

Jerry I think your forgetting about the Cleveland line which runs through Redlands and bayside ??
Trains are pretty frequent , I know because you can watch em from the front yard of our ip in birkdale

Back