brisbane cbd disability friendly 2 BR apartment - advisable to slef manage from syd?

Got an investment property - 2BR, 2 Bath, 2 car space fully furnished in Brisbane cbd. Currently in the short term hotel pool but because of high cleaning costs and higher than expected vacancies the return is less than a long term tenant, even allowing for real estate agency costs

I am thinking that because it is has disabled friendly features (larger doorway, open showers, railings etc) there may be companies wanting to rent long term. This means that I really don't need an agent as there won't be a high turnover of tenants.

The problem is that I am based in Sydney.

What do you guys think?

Currently in the short term hotel pool but because of high cleaning costs and higher than expected vacancies the return is less than a long term tenant, even allowing for real estate agency costs

I am thinking that because it is has disabled friendly features (larger doorway, open showers, railings etc) there may be companies wanting to rent long term. This means that I really don't need an agent as there won't be a high turnover of tenants.

What do you guys think?

Maybe have a Legal person to look over the contract you have will the Hotel,and see if you can set it up that way??,there is a big market for this type of inner city rental from government employed disabled workers,from what I'm told..imho..

Got an investment property - 2BR, 2 Bath, 2 car space fully furnished in Brisbane cbd. Currently in the short term hotel pool but because of high cleaning costs and higher than expected vacancies the return is less than a long term tenant, even allowing for real estate agency costs

What do you guys think?

It is important to initially assess legal situation as mentioned by another SS member. Likewise, there are multiple Not-for-profit agencies who are keen to access stock that is disability friendly - agencies such as Cerebral Palsy League, Spinal Injuries Australia to name a few. Marketing could target this sector as a complementary strategy to advertising on the usual RE websites.

thanks for the replies guys. Very sorry for the late response.

I am able to legally leave the hotel pool. The hotel agrees, and my lawyers have looked through the sale contract and the by-laws. Other owners in the lot also rent it out themselves.

I have found a very reasonably priced agent (purerentals.com.au) which charges a fixed fee of $1249+GST, so there is no point in my managing it myself as this fee is very reasonable.

My next questions are:

1. Should I let the agent market it themselves or can I try get a better rate by tenant willing to pay more for the disability facilities?

2. How much of a better rate can I expect? Very similar apartments are renting out at $650 per week. Mine has the disability facilities and has an extra car spot. If I rent out at market rates it would be say ~$700 pw because of the extra car spot. How much additional premium can I reasonbly ask for?

Disability acccessible property

thanks for the replies guys. Very sorry for the late response.

I am able to legally leave the hotel pool. The hotel agrees, and my lawyers have looked through the sale contract and the by-laws. Other owners in the lot also rent it out themselves.

I have found a very reasonably priced agent (purerentals.com.au) which charges a fixed fee of $1249+GST, so there is no point in my managing it myself as this fee is very reasonable.

My next questions are:

1. Should I let the agent market it themselves or can I try get a better rate by tenant willing to pay more for the disability facilities?

Discuss your questions with Russell Peter from PureRentals - he is very experienced and capable.

It is not appropriate to charge a tenant more for disability services as this constitutes discrimination- people with disability source and access housing on the same mediums as the general community - an advertisement can articulate that the accommodation is certified as accessible for people with disability which will attract a wider inquiry base

2. How much of a better rate can I expect? Very similar apartments are renting out at $650 per week. Mine has the disability facilities and has an extra car spot. If I rent out at market rates it would be say ~$700 pw because of the extra car spot. How much additional premium can I reasonbly ask for?

Discuss your questions with Russell Peter from PureRentals - he is very experienced and capable.

Likewise, request a current rental market appraisal of comparative properties currently for rent to identify appropriate rental asking price

It is not appropriate to charge a tenant more for disability services as this constitutes discrimination- people with disability source and access housing on the same mediums as the general community - an advertisement can articulate that the accommodation is certified as accessible for people with disability which will attract a wider inquiry base

Warm regards

Renee Chad

Back