Brisbane City Council Site Cover and Floor Space Ratio

Hi guys.
Any one with knowledge of Brisbane City Council site cover exclusions/inclusions please get in touch.
I am also looking for information on floor space ratio. This is the so called (1st floor area + ground floor area)/block size. This is a NSW terminology, but I guess there is one such ratio for BCC.

Can someone please elaborate?

Hi guys.
Any one with knowledge of Brisbane City Council site cover exclusions/inclusions please get in touch.
I am also looking for information on floor space ratio. This is the so called (1st floor area + ground floor area)/block size. This is a NSW terminology, but I guess there is one such ratio for BCC.

Can someone please elaborate?

Btw, I am looking at build on a very small block of size 400sqm.

If you provide further informaiton I am sure someone on here will be able to shed some light and likely answer your questions.

I suspect the relevant information you are after relates to gross floor area (GFA), site coverage and setbacks. The following is a good tool to help you identify the relevant overlays for your lot http://cityplan2014maps.brisbane.qld.gov.au/CityPlan/.

It depends on if you are in a pure site cover location or your neighbourhood plan has some GFA overhang.

Sitecover is 45% for most multi residential uses on a site that size. provide more info and I can point you in the right direction.

is the 45% cover refer to the downstairs part of the construction, or for the total building size? I've just signed a tender for a 29sq 2 storey in Chermside on a 400sq block but now wondering if it will exceed the FSR.

Thanks for the reply guys. It seems that BCC only has site cover ratio, and beuilding height ratio...and NO Floor Space Ratio for normal residential blocks.

So if you do no exceed the site cover and height restrictions, you can potentially build 2X the site cover if you are building a 2 story.
I.e. block size: 400sqm.
Say site cover allowance is 0.5.

Then slab can be 200sqm....making a 400sqm 2 story house possible.

Any problem with my interpretation?

I asked this question as in Sydney there are restrictions on site cover ratio AND floor space ratio and it is much less than 2X the site cover ratio.

Careful. I am pretty sure there are floor space ratios in some specific areas. My brother had to contend with a floor space ratio in Paddington, for example.

Just to clarify for everyone...

In Brisbane it is defined as 'site cover' which is the % of land you are building on. If I copy and paste the exact requirements of Brisbane:

Development results in a maximum site cover of:
(a) 50% where the lot is 400m2 or more; or
(b) 60% where the lot is 300m2 or more and less than 400m2; or
(c) 70% where the lot is 200m2 or more and less than 300m2; or
(d) 80% where the lot is less than 200m2.

So if the lot is 400sqm, you can have a 200sqm single storey house. If you went 2 storey it could be both 200sqm downstairs and 200sqm upstairs, as it has the same building footprint and site cover. There are no maximum floor area restrictions for houses in Brisbane, just site cover. You are also restricted by the height and boundary setbacks and in some cases (lots under 450sqm) you can only have a max 25m long building. But yes building up tends to make it easier to comply.

Back