Brisbane (QLD) Vs Melbourne (Vic)

Hi All,

If I have 300k and I'd like to buy a house with a good CG and good cashflow, where will be better against those 2 states? I don't think there will be a property that satisfies both good CG and cashflow, it should be one or the other right?

I thought of buying apartment in Melb CBD but it looks to me the price has gone nowhere

For me, melbourne will be better for capital gains.

I would say to get a unit/villa (rather than apartment in melb cbd).

IMO that's too broad of a question.

You said "between 2 states", so each state is massive and has a lot of regional spots that can EASILY get you good yield and/or good growth properties well under $300,000

If Metro Brisbane vs Metro Melbourne, still a bit broad of a question.

Based purely on comments I've seen around here, various threads, as well as various magazine articles, I'd be inclined to think Metro Brisbane would be a better spot for $300,000....

But way more active/knowledgeable people than me will be able to shed more light.

My 2 properties are in suburbs of Melbourne and Brisbane, but not what you'd call "inner ring" for either.

Hi All,

If I have 300k and I'd like to buy a house with a good CG and good cashflow, where will be better against those 2 states? I don't think there will be a property that satisfies both good CG and cashflow, it should be one or the other right?

I thought of buying apartment in Melb CBD but it looks to me the price has gone nowhere

As others have said, its tough to answer this becavse its such a broad base. You need to be more specific in terms of:
1. Asset type (apartment,townhouse, house)
2. Location within area ( cbd, inner ,mid, or outer)
4. Utility within asset type(eg 2 bed,1 bath, 1 carpark)
5. Most importanty , what is it that you are hoping to do from property(eg live im it, rent it out,??)
6. Financial objctive( yield or CG -these are usually inversely related)
7.lifestyle factors (eg party central or peace and quiet,etc etc only you can judge this)

Just some things to think about.....

Last edited by a moderator:
@eeew
1. Asset type - House (with potential to renovate)
2. Location - Mid
4. Utility within asset type - at least 3 bed
5. Rent the property out
6. CG
7. Doesn't really matter as it is an investment

@eeew
1. Asset type - House (with potential to renovate)
2. Location - Mid
4. Utility within asset type - at least 3 bed
5. Rent the property out
6. CG
7. Doesn't really matter as it is an investment

If you can find a house for 300k in a mid suburb of melbourne let me know
Otherwise I'm not really sure why your asking this question

Last edited by a moderator:
no I'm not sure I can find the property. The reason why I'm asking because I live in Sydney and I'm not sure about Brisbane/Melbourne suburbs and market.

For me, melbourne will be better for capital gains.

I would say to get a unit/villa (rather than apartment in melb cbd).

i reckon bris is better for CG then melb to be honest, at least with bris you are almost guaranteed immediate growth while with melbourne, its just starting

just my 2c

Hi

Check out post code 4114, there's a lot to be had for under 300k with over 7% returns.

I concur Brisbane over Melbourne in this stage of the property cycle.

Back