Broker Selling my Private Details

I'm really quite mad at the moment as only a few minutes ago I got a phone call from some bloke asking if I would be interested in making extra income etc and if he could send out some information and come and meet me. He told me he had my email address which I have only given out to very few people but then I asked him where he got that and my details and he told me they pay brokers for this. He said he was from Global Investment ventures or something like that.

So there you go, this is exactly the sort of thing I feared and specifically asked my EX broker to not do. I told them to delete or destroy all my private details now I don't want anything to do with them and I wrote all about the horrible experience I had with this outfit here. They said they would and only keep what is required by law, bs so now they are not happy with the money they have already made and still are from the commissions and now want to start selling my private information which is very important to me and I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this just to annoy me as you will see in that thread some of the nasty things they done like backstab to my solicitor about me.

grrrr

Are you sure he meant mortgage broker and not a list broker (sells potential leads)?

Cheers,

The Y-man

I'm not 100% sure he said mortgage broker and it might have been just broker but not many people and especially businesses have my phone number, my email address and know I work at home. I'm pretty sure my gut instinct is right but I guess I will never know.

I also don't remember giving any of these details out to anyone else for long time, especially including my email address.

I'm just going to be very cautious in the future and I doubt I will ever use a broker again now after this as they will always have my personal details forever now, they know how much money I make, they know who pays me and what banks I'm with, they know how much money I have in each bank, they have copies of my birth certificates, my passport, my drivers license and basally know everything about me except what time I go to the toilet and they will have this for the rest of my life. So I will never use individuals or small businesses again after this.

Hiya Monsoon

I suspect youd better look for other causes here.

pretty much agaisnt the law for a MB to onsell that sort of info UNLESS there is direct disclosure in the agreement that says they do .

The basic principle of need to know applies to the information that one provides to a MB.

How we got from email address to a phone call is odd though ?

Let me know how the Multi Level Marketing Presentation goes :)

ta
rolf

I very seriously doubt your broker would have onsold your information, particularly given that they sound like a small outfit.

Much more likely, when you lodged a mortgage application you ended up on a database, and I bet somewhere in the volumes of paperwork you even agreed to it. Your broker would have nowhere near enough contacts for "selling" your information to be worthwhile, and the lender or mortgage aggregator or whoever has sold your details, is large enough that they know the rules and can't afford to violate them.

No chance most mortgage brokers would ever give away their database willingly. The last think brokers want is their client lists outside of their control.

You might want to contact your mortgage broker and verify this. If they have passed on your details without your permission there are legal and compliance avenues to pursue.

Ok thanks, yes I had a good think about this today and I thought they would have to be pretty stupid to sell my details since they are quite small so I'm going to be fair and say I doubt it would be them and even though we had a few issues I'm not sure they are that bad. I guess when I heard the word Broker it made me just think of Mortgage Broker.

I guess this is why brokers need to really look after clients and never lose their trust and stand by them as they have all our private details.

Sounds like you are quick at jumping to conclusions without thinking them through.
Yes I can be a little like that I admit but most of the time I'm right. Maybe this time I was not but who knows, I can't think who would give out all my details and sell them. Obviously someone or a company interested in maximizing profits from their clients.

Sounds like you had better get a new gut. Your instincts on this one seem way off.
My instincts are fine thanks and my gut actually had a funny feeling about that broker originally as I found out they had given me misleading information on their experience and although I will give them the benefit of the doubt I'm not going to rule it out either. Anyway. your expertise is over whelming even though you just registered a few hours ago!:rolleyes: I have every right to think it was my ex broker especially after my experience with them and that the salesman specifically said they paid Brokers for this information.

I guess this is why brokers need to really look after clients and never lose their trust and stand by them as they have all our private details.

Brokers would need degrees in psychology to build trust with clients who are paranoid, though. Knowing that you'll hear 'broker' and think 'mortgage broker' and teaching you about the existence of 'information brokers' wouldn't be 'looking after you'. That would be reading your mind and seeing where the gaps are. And THAT would be far scarier than having all your financials.

Trust could mean just not going to the clients solicitor and lying about the client, even the solicitor was appalled.

So let's say you were reasonably happy with the mortgage broker's services, and this cold call happened. Would you still have assumed it was your mortgage broker leaking the info, since you only know of one type of 'broker'?

So let's say you were reasonably happy with the mortgage broker's services, and this cold call happened. Would you still have assumed it was your mortgage broker leaking the info,....
Ok let's start with the first part of the trick questions being thrown around here.... I have dealt with another broker in the past and they did a great job, they had everything organised within 2 weeks with no issues. Had no concerns for my private details as they were very professional & the same with the bank agents I have dealt with.

I also know there are good brokers out there but I would always be hesitant to use one again now. I guess you guys/girls are also brokers and the reason why your getting worked up over this even though I came back and wanted to give the broker the benefit of the doubt in this case earlier. :rolleyes:

....since you only know of one type of 'broker'?
As above, I have found a good one too in the past.
I don't doubt that. That's what's scary. And makes it so hard for accountants, lawyers, mortgage brokers, etc.
Yes, it's too bad that when someone doesn't act professionally it can effect others in the trade in some way. But I also will give just a good a review of someone who does a good job.

Last edited:
As above, I have found a good one too in the past.

I mean, you clearly don't know there are other types of 'brokers' other than mortgage brokers.

Yes, it's too bad that when someone doesn't act professionally it can effect others in the trade in some way. But I also will give just a good a review of someone who does a good job.

Actually, I was more thinking about how YOU are not acting rationally. It must make the job of a broker, lawyer, accountant, etc extra hard when the person you deal with isn't rational. How do you do a 'good job' when your client has unrealistic expectations?

Yes, because I think you're irrational, simply because you hear the word 'broker' and immediately think 'mortgage broker', I must be a broker trying to defend my position. Makes perfect sense.

Look, IF your mortgage broker sold your details, that's clearly unethical. But how rational is it for you to immediately assume it's your MB selling you out when you get a cold call?

Back