Budget Travel

all part of the experience

If they stuff up, Its their responsibility to look after its customers the more public you make the harder they'll try to save face. You can always look on the bright side of life and accept it as just another experience to add to the story board:)

If they stuff up, Its their responsibility to look after its customers the more public you make the harder they'll try to save face. You can always look on the bright side of life and accept it as just another experience to add to the story board:)

It doesnt work like that; Jetstar wont take on this responsibility to get you to where you paid for, SIA does or your money back. Not sure sleeping in an airport is a notch I want on the belt though:p

or you can buy travel insurance. I pay for travel insurance with my credit card which has travel insurance but have never used it.

I am happy that now I can afford to go home and see my family more often..$300 rtn to KL is such a bargain...an economy ticket on MAS and SIA is
$1k+.

Cougar - that's a good way to look at it...it's those times when nothing goes to plan that makes for great story telling!

Jetstar says, well, we dont guarantee to do anything for you even if THEY mess up?
No, that's not what they say. What they say sounds very similar to what Singapore Airlines says, but worded differently.

From Jetstar's terms and conditions of carriage, sections 9.1 and 9.2:

Jetstar said:
(c) If, after you pay for your Booking, we make a significant change to the scheduled departure time of your flight or the flight is cancelled (except where this is due to circumstances beyond our control) and:

* this change means you are unable to use your Booking for its intended purpose; and
* we or our Authorised Agents cannot book you on another flight which you are prepared to accept;

we will give you a fare refund. Unless otherwise required by law, we will not be responsible for paying any costs or expenses you may incur as a result of the changed time or cancellation.

9.2 Changes due to circumstances beyond our control

Where a delay or cancellation is caused by circumstances beyond our control, whether you have checked in or not, Jetstar will try to assist you to get to your destination, but will not be responsible for paying any costs or expenses you may incur as a result of the delay or cancellation, unless otherwise required by law.
Singapore Airlines have a bit more detail about trying to get you on other flights, or there by other methods, but still say they have no responsibility beyond that. From their terms and conditions of carriage:

Singapore Airlines said:
(a) If Carrier cancels, terminates, diverts, postpones or delays a flight, substitutes a different type of aircraft or different class of service, is unable to provide previously confirmed space, fails to stop at a passenger's stopover or destination point, or causes the passenger to miss a connecting flight on which he holds a reservation, Carrier shall, with due consideration to the passenger's reasonable interests, either:

1. carry the passenger on another of its scheduled passenger services on which space is available; or
2. re-route the passenger to the destination indicated on the ticket or applicable portion thereof by its own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the ticket or applicable portion thereof, Carrier shall require no additional fare or charge from the passenger, and shall refund the difference if the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower; or
3. make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 Paragraph 3.

(b) When circumstances so require, Carrier may without notice cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any flight, substitute a different type of aircraft, or omit a stopover or destination point. In any of these events, Carrier shall carry, re-route or make a refund in accordance with the preceding Subparagraph (a) and shall be under no further liability to the passenger.
Sounds like a different way of saying the same thing to me.

GP

OK thanks for clarifiying GP, the original explanation sounded different to that. Guess it doesn't really affect me though as the cheapies wont fly to Adelaide.

What do people here think of long haul travel on budget airlines?

We just booked flights with AirAsia from GC to KL for $909 rtn for 3 people! The special is valid from May to Oct. Will probably head to Langkawi and Hanoi for another $250! so cheap

yeah that's an awesome price Sue! I just booked some tickets going from GC-KL, KL-BKK, BKK-KL, KL-GC for about $760 (return) with Air Asia. Prices have recently gone up with taxes and fuel surcharges. This will be my first time flying "budget" long haul but it should be ok with the help of some xanax and Singha beer. I've flown Air Asia loads of times within Asia but only 2-3 hr flights. The cheapest return airfare for the same time (early March) was with Thai Air and they were still about $1,260 even though they had a sale on and it's still peak season.

When booking with Air Asia, meals are optional and cost $7 extra, choosing your own seat is an extra $7 ($35 for the emergency exit seats) and you can pay extra for a heavier luggage allowance. I think they're a good airline and they have the youngest fleet in the world out of all airlines.

hubby and I flew Jetstar to Hawaii in November. Our return fares cost $500 each. The flights there and back were on time. We got the food inclusive pack in both directions. It includes all non-alcoholic drinks too. I usually sleep OK on the plane but didn't this time, then I realised my sleep is usually due to the mini-wine bottle served with the first meal on the flight, which you don't get on Jetstar.

Back