Tiger Airways

I'm sorry, but I just have to have a whinge to get it out of my system. I'm curious as to what other peoples experiences have been with Tiger Airways. We flew from Melbourne to Perth on Friday, arrived at airport at 3.00pm for a 5.30pm departure, only to find out 10 minutes after we arrived that it was delayed until 10.40pm!!!

Now, I know it's a low budget airline and I'm happy to accept some delay. I don't expect to have my cake and eat it too, but I really don't think 5 hours is acceptable. Is this a one off or is this common for Tiger? This was my first time flying with them, but I'm starting to hear that their reputation isn't all that great. My experience with the low budget airlines has so far been Jetstar - sometimes expect some delay but the most I've had is around 1-2 hours which I am happy to accept. Virgin Blue, not that I've flown them much, but they seem to have their act together. However Tiger... :mad: They'd have to be MUCH MUCH cheaper than the others for me to consider them in future (which from memory they were only a little bit cheaper than Virgin Blue on this flight).

I've had a Qantas flight from Perth to Melb delayed 6 hours.... so it can happen to any company really....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Flew them once from Melbourne to Tassie and return and they were all right for what we expected, similar to jetstar I guess. At least our flight was on time. I am guessing the 5 hours delay is very rare and yeah it can happen to any airline!

Back in August a whole group of us went to Melbourne for a Poker Tournament.

I flew Qantas, a mate and his girlfriend flew Tiger....

There flight was delayed by about 2 hours, he had to pay an extra $15 as his luggage was over weight by less that 1kg (way under Qantas limits), no food or refreshments were served during the flight, when they landed they had to disembark via stairs onto the tarmac, there terminal in at Melbourne airport is a tin shed which is located a 15-20 minute walk from the main terminals - which they had to walk to get transport to the city.

The difference between Tiger and Qantas was $9.90 each way

I've always had good experiences with virgin blue. The only thing i could complain about is that i've had a few hard bumps from not so smooth landings, but sometimes i've a had super smooth landings where you couldn't feel absolutely anything upon contacting the ground :eek:
The only clue we'd have that we had touched down, is when the plane would reach about halfway down the runway and had slowed down significantly :eek: So we'd be like "Holy crap that was smooth!"
The other gripe is some of the male hostesses that seem to have a big chip on their shoulder, as if someone just stole their handbag.

Maybe I'll put it down to bad luck then - I only fly once or twice a year, so not like I'm flying every week so chances of delay is greater. Qantas have always been on time for me as with Virgin, and Jetstar have had some delay but nothing like 5 hours. I appreciate unscheduled maintenance can occur, but was just wondering if Tiger were worse than others or not... maybe not.

I forgot to give them credit for giving us the option of getting a refund on our ticket (and then paying last minute prices of about $600 one way with another airline) and an $8 meal voucher, which didn't even get me a full meal. :rolleyes:

HI I have flown Tiger from Malaysia to Vietnam and also from Vietnam to Thailand.

They are very strict regarding booking in times...one minute late and its too late. You can pick up fantastic fares at times with them. Generally though, its really a case of you get what you pay for.

All of the low cost carriers seem to have more delays and issues than the more expensive airlines, Im thinking its because they have less money budgeted to staffing, so that when something goes wrong they have less people on the roster to try and fix it.

Still, I love them. I dont mind the odd delay when I travel, because the low prices mean that I can travel ! For example I recently flew on Air Asia from Gold coast to Malaysia (kuala lumpur) for $450 return. A great holiday and no delays/problems.

Im keeping an eye out for specials at the moment. Jetstar, Tiger, Air Asia...they have great sales.

Just my opinion
shopgirl

Still, I love them. I dont mind the odd delay when I travel, because the low prices mean that I can travel ! For example I recently flew on Air Asia from Gold coast to Malaysia (kuala lumpur) for $450 return. A great holiday and no delays/problems.

I absolutely agree! I'm not one of these people who expect airfares for almost nothing and then ***** about a bit of a delay. I just thought 5 hours was a bit much without warning (and if it's common), and in future I would be prepared to pay an extra $50 or so to fly Qantas. However if it means huge discounts like you mentioned above then it's definatley worth it, just not sure it is for domestic where price variances aren't THAT big.

We got denied boarding passes because we were 1 MINUTE late.

Tiger can delay their flights by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 hours or even cancel them altogether, yet when you are late by 1 minute, they smile and tell you to buzz off!

I HATE TIGER AIRWAYS and WILL NEVER FLY them AGAIN!

I recently flew from Melbourne to Perth on a full price Qantas ticket. At the airport I see that the flight is a code share with Jetstar, so no matter how much we each paid for our tickets we got the same service on the same plane.

I have no issue with budget airlines, but if Qantas want to sell themselves as a premium product it's a slap in the face to find that we are all on the same plane anyway.

Also the severity of the landing is up to the pilot, not the airline. On the same flight the pilot slammed it into the runway and then came to stand at the door with a smile to say cheerio to us all. After a few choice comments from the passengers on his landing he retreated back to the flight deck.

I have never flown with Tiger, but I have read and heard a lot of bad things about Tiger in the news - similar to stories in this thread.

We were in Africa recently and we got an sms from Qantas to our mobile phone advising that our flight would be a few hours late. It was good to know so we were not worried about missing connecting flight. Am not sure if other airlines have ways of contacting pax by sms like Qantas?

We were in Africa recently and we got an sms from Qantas to our mobile phone advising that our flight would be a few hours late. It was good to know so we were not worried about missing connecting flight. Am not sure if other airlines have ways of contacting pax by sms like Qantas?

Now this I would have accepted! The girl in the queue behind us asked one of the staff about the delay and was told they were aware of it from 12pm (but put it on their board about 3.15pm so we found out once we were there). So an SMS notifying us of the delay would have been appreciated and I would have accepted that. Just not turning up to the airport already 2 hours early (to allow for traffic etc. and knowing Tiger are so strict with their closure times) and then find out it was 5 hours delay, leaving us in that crappy little "tin shed" terminal for 7 hours.

can happen to any airline. last year flew with jetstar from sydney to brisbane. rocked up and an hour before departure found that the flight wasn't delayed, it was CANCELLED because not enough passengers I think.

Try this.
JetStar flight out of Hobart scheduled to leave at 0830 - we eventually departed 1700!
I have had a policy of never flying Jetstar and I am sticking to it now.

Had a another experience of paying $96 in cab fares because I did not want to pay another $50 for a later fare!!!
Aussie Feng Shui

Id have to say not unique to any airline

Many moons ago when virgin had 3 aircraft it wasnt unusual that if you had an engineering problem that youd be cancelled.

Thems the breaks with supporting a fledgeling business

ta
rolf

We fly frequently and would never fly Tiger again. Have had flights cancelled altogether, leave early and only been notified by email or sms which we didnt open in time, leave hours later. Repeat, Would never fly with them again

I'd rather a delay and a safe journey any day over someone trying to keep to a time table.

We had a 6 hour delay just this weekend on a flight to the US with Qantas. I'd rather a 6 hour delay and a safe plane, then an "oops this is your pilot speeking, we need to find a petrol station quickly......" The issue was a faulty fuel pump that couldn't be repaired, during replacement they couldn't fix it quickly enough and with the window closing on crew log book times, they prepped a new plane.

I must admit I was very impressed that the pilot came into Qantas Club, called the passangers together and explained the issue.

Cheers
Buddybee

There is always so much going on behind the scenes that the general public is blissfully unaware of.

Just be thankful there are such cheap airfares and you have options.

(Thats all i'm going to say as this subject is very close to home.)

I love flying with low cost carriers. But you have to make sure you know the rules. I always get to the airport nice and early and read my paper.

It means I can go on holiday 3-4 times per year. I get some great fares like over last Easter, I went to the GoldCoast from Melb for 130 bucks return.

Going to Cairns in a couple of weeks flying Jetstar, again another bargain bought on sale, and currently looking for my next trip in Feb, maybe queensland, maybe even SE Asia depending on what prices I can get.

Back