Bugdet Aircon

ok, so I have a IP in a pretty rough area, cost me $100k,
I agreed to get an aircon for the tenant,

I got a quote for $1000, tradie now tells me shop has sold out, and new one is $1400 installed, also found out that tradie overcharges

anyway, its a small 3bdr, and I did discuss on getting one that would cool 1-2 rooms only,

I was looking at split systems ,but tradie is now telling me I need a wall mount

I dont know much about aircons at all, whats the cheapest one to get or what type???

after I questioned him about the price etc. he said he would install one for me for 3 hours labour if I supplied him the unit,

can anybody tell me which one I need, I just had a look at ebay, and there seems to be on split systems for sale, unless I typed incorrectly

Air con for beginners

There is not much point buying the cheapest air conditioner in Australia if it burns out after two years and you have to replace it. If you are buying a second hand one, that is different I guess.

We own a tiny three bedroom townhouse. We bought a mid-sized air con to mount in the lounge room, pointing down the hallway towards the bedrooms. It cost us $2500 including installation but most of the install cost was the pipes running across the ceiling from the outside unit (in the courtyard) as it was not able to be mounted close to where the inside unit was positioned.

We measured the internal area of the lounge room plus hall (area = length x width) and went to the nearest big appliance store. The salesman was able to advise what size machine to get to cool that area. It cost about $1400 and we took it away so no delivery. I then got our rental manager to arrange an install with their electrician.

The typical units sold these days are all split systems - they heat in winter and cool in summer. You mount them to the wall, not in the window. The outside unit, the main motor, usually sits on the ground, but can also be mounted to the outside of an upstairs room. I would not have one at the front of the house in case it makes a tempting target for excited youth. If you want to get a tiny window-mounted machine, that is outside my experience. The kind you get will also be determined by location - do you want it to be used mostly in winter or summer? The salesman will advise.

ok

I was looking at split systems ,but tradie is now telling me I need a wall mount

I find this strange Split systems are the way to go and not to expensive these days (I guess it depends on wether you are trying to cool the room or the a few rooms)

I'm going out on a limb and going to assume the tradesman you speak of is a Sparkie or a builder

Split systems usually require 2 trades a Sparkie and a Fridge Mech (Usually Plumber)
In some states sparkie can and sometimes have got the Endorsement to install Split systems
(Very few in Vic because of the Plumbing Industry Boards silly requirements)

So I can possibly assume your tradie doesn't want the hassle of arranging another trade "Maybe"

IMO its better to install one thats an overkill (bigger than you require) then theres no problems with it not keeping up on a really hot day

Around here (Country Eastern Vic) one would expect to pay around $800 just for the installation (Sparkie $400 Plumber $400) if its just a back to back Installation then most plumbers would charge per metre is its not

Then theres the cost of the unit itself
$1500 would be a ball park figure I would pull out of the air

You can still buy the hole in the wall mount type and that is possibly all you need but as I said IMO split systems are the way to go

BTW I'm a sparkie

Maybe have a read here

Agree with Nev.

We installed LG 7kw split system in a unit.

Install $800
AC $1350

Agree cheap will only fan. Why not put in fans at $200 each supply and install per room. Cheaper to run and in dry hot weather just as good.

FYI Peter

Hi,
Just thought i'd add my 2c. I have a business installing air cons.

We do a lot of apartments and flats and IP's.

I always tell people install good quality systems. The reason being is that their is so much of the cost in actually putting the system in it just isn't worth putting in something cheap watching it tick past it's warranty and s*it it self costing you a lot more.

Lots of people believe that all air cons come from the same factory and their all pretty much of a muchness. Thats pretty much crapola. Like anything the more expensive systems are much better quality and worth the extra.

We install a lot of Mitsubishi heavy Industries. Their similar quality to the Daikens but a bit cheaper. Our prices start from about $750.00 including the electrical on a separate circuit. if your getting charged around that, Thats a fair price. I can tell you knowing the figures you need at least that to make decent profits.

ps I'm talking about splits. I would only personally put in splits. Their a bit more expensive to install. You also mentioned it was a rough area. With wall units 3 screws and the tenants can just take the AC with them when they leave.

Their also pretty easy for someone to break in and steal.

Back