Build Costs for a 4 Unit construction - Regional VIC

hi mate,

cant help too much with specifics because each job is different but here are some rules of thumb i use for unit developments:

1. Total developable area would be between 75-80% of land size. So on your 650sqm block expect common areas to take up 130-160sqm.

2. As above build coverage is 60% of site size. on 650 you take off 140 for common areas = 510sqm left. over 4 units thats an average of 127sqm. means you can build on 77sqm of that.

3. Typical build sizes are total 9-12sq for a 2 bed and 11-14sq for a 3 bed. These are small unit builds.

So looking at your build size of 77sqm this is about 8.3sq which would be a small 2 bedroom unit - rather than a 3 bedroom. If you do some quick maths you can see how it adds up:

Bedrooms: 3.2 x 3.4 = 10.88 * 3 = 32.64sqm
Garage: 3.5 x 6 = 21sqm
Bathroom: 2.4 x 3.2 = 7.68sqm
European Laundry: 0.8 * 1.6 = 1.28sqm

Subtotal: 62.6sqm

That only leaves about 15sqm for kitchen, living area, dining, hallways, portico, and anything else.

Hope this helps.

Ben

I think a few on here are a little confused by site coverage. Provided that there are no schedules to the zone and it is standard res 1. Site coverage of 60% is for the entire site and is only any area covered by buildings. ie. on a 650 sqm site you can build on 390 square metres of the site. You dont have to deduct the accessways from the 650.

If everyone followed those strict guidelines there would be no renovations to speak of.
Your point is?

The OP is trying to build 4 units on a block, you can't do that as an OB.

You might have to be very careful here that you don't end up with four buildings that the original builder has no desire or obligation to complete past what he contracted to do.

Very few tradies want to come in and finnish anothers job, unless of course it's very worth their while.

I think a few on here are a little confused by site coverage. Provided that there are no schedules to the zone and it is standard res 1. Site coverage of 60% is for the entire site and is only any area covered by buildings. ie. on a 650 sqm site you can build on 390 square metres of the site. You dont have to deduct the accessways from the 650.

I was under the impression if you are subdividing the block, and therefore the new sites are going to be smaller, it is the built form on those blocks, not the larger one as the larger one will cease to exist?

Would like to hear your opinions (especially from people who have ventured into Constructions themselves, however big or small) on the following:

Your opinions are welcome!
Gentle Chief, I would look at the rent rates differences between building four small units as compared to two or maybe three 3 bed places.

You might find that you will produce more rent and have less vacancies with more bedrooms, which will save on build costs and produce a better return overall.

Where others built rows of one and two bedders on a block, I only built two three bed houses on a block.

Mine are always rented where the multiple places are keeping the rent down competing with everyone else to get tenants to take them on.

Country folk are different to City folk, they like a little room around them.

I was under the impression if you are subdividing the block, and therefore the new sites are going to be smaller, it is the built form on those blocks, not the larger one as the larger one will cease to exist?

I can see what you mean, but your not subdividing. The 60% is a rescode requirement under Clause 55 of the scheme, and is for building more than one dwelling on a lot. The subdivision comes after the development permit (generally) and is usually more of a formality process, which ensures the subdivision is inline with the development approved. The land does not have to subdivided in the future anyway it can just be four separate tenanted dwellings.

So in short under clause 56 it states that buildings must not cover more than 60% of the total site.

Back