Builder's handover

I Have employed a builder to construct some units and it is now coming up to the point of handover. What checks do I need to make before I make the final payment? I have done a walkthrough and checked lights, paintwork etc but any advice appreciated.

I would suggest you get a building inspector to come through and do a report to tell you that everything is upto the current BCA. If there is any defects you can hold payment until the work is rectified. If you hand over the final progress payment and there is something wrong you might have a hard time getting it fixed because they already have the money. If you have the money you have the upper hand.

some defects can appear much later. Ensure there is a builders warrantee so they can fix things for the next few months as they appear.

Ie - water pressure, locks not working, appliances being faulty, doors, cupboards falling down....

Check everything that switches on and off does so correctly (lights, power points, appliances, hws etc).
Check the paint carefully. Biggest one is the tops of the doorframes and behind the shelf rails.
Run all the taps in the sinks for a few minutes, then put your hand underneath in the cabinets to make sure no leaking.
Run the showers for a couple of minutes, ensure it doesn't leak out of the shower/floor anywhere.
All locks/handles working, doors not rattling when closed.
All windows open their full width (big one, since sometimes they wont if they were bricked in out of square).
Open every single cabinet door and close. Make sure you are happy and they are spotlessly clean.
Garage door (if applicable) up and down.
Get in the roof, make sure the insulation is installed neatly (often thrown around by the electrician if he has been back since) and it sits clear of any lights without shrouds.
Windows clean, flyscreens installed.

I think that should cover most items you can check, but there will normally be a couple of things due at 3/6 months maintenance with the builder.

Back