Building 1-2 dwellings on back yards

We have had decent experience in the buy/reno/rent field but we are currently embarking on our first buy, split, build.

Currently we have 2 corner blocks in city of darabin.
Block 1.
Nice flat block, i think we can fit 2x2bedroom units on the back leaving existing 3 bed ex dept housing concrete on it.

Block 2
On a decent slope, i think we can fit a 1x3 bedroom unit on th eback leaving the existing or 3x2bedrooms if it wasn't there. Again the existing is a 3 bed concrete job.

we have had a very initial chat for 45 minutes with the council at the planning desk to discuss options and driveways look to be our biggest issue so far. I have fired off a note to our managing agent to get there sales department to provide there opinion on value of existing and new 2 or 3 bedroom places.

Next move is to decide if we are getting a plan drawn and pushing it through ourselves or engaging someone end to end to get approval. - Thoughts for a first timer on this, i specifically spend my time avoiding speaking to council but my girlfriend is organised enough and can be the point person to push/deal with objections/etc...

Also debating if we go a draftie/building designer or architect. I don't think we are lucky enough to be able to take a 'project' home template for duplex (there are a few out there i noticed) as most of them seem to pitch for 3x2x2 duplexs. Thoughts on this?

Money is a bit of an issue, i can probably scrape together deposit for build on either block but not both at once, we also would like some cash for another project so I am half considering getting plans for both then selling the more difficult slopping block to realiase some instant cash. Has anyone sold with plans? i have seen a few places in the area sell for a premium with it on, but would be intersted to hear if anyone made cash out of it.

Any comments on the poorly worded question/thoughts or anything else anyone wants to offer?

Selling with plans will get you a higher price as long as the developer you're selling to is going to use them. This means that the scheme has to be a profitable one for the new purchaser so getting the design and marketing right is essential.

Just be wary that the City of Darebin isn't exactly the most development-friendly either. Perhaps not as bad as some Councils but the residents are also a pain particularly in the inner-city ring. I don't know what your chances are of getting something like that built but for a simple job like this a chat with a private town planner would be a good start. They deal with proposals like this all the time and would know the ins and outs of it. Upon working out if your proposal is feasible then engage a draftsman to design the driveways and layouts. I would personally avoid the spec-home builders as I can envisage your new build to require a very customised design that spec-homes do not offer, and asking for modifications would be very expensive.

yer this build will be custom, i looked at a few spec plan layouts and the changes required probably would have been rejected for them to even quote up.

Its in reservoir area, specifically the ex housing one area tucked under plenty road behind the coles/ww. Plenty of development but not so much that the streets are packed out.

Best of luck with it. It isn't an easy game but I would get the plans done on the assumption that you will be building it yourself. Don't wait for that developer to come by and pay a ridiculous price for the land because that isn't happening in Victoria anymore.

Would recommend speaking with a private town planner to get a full assessment done before you start spending the dollars. A few people I've worked with can give the whole development feasibility study and work out which is the best option that would suit you (not necessarily what you'd expect).

Also might help out on my website (link below) there's a flowchart I made for basic residential subdivision in Vic that's a free download that will help you through the steps anyway.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any!

Cheers,

Back