Building Brokers - 28sq home

I'm looking at building a double-story property in the 26 to 28 sq range on a relatively small block. It's in a good location close to shops / transport / schools. I'm trying to optimise potential resale value by building a quality but not overly-speced home.

In order to make most effective use of available funds, I'm considering using a building broker to source build quotes as an alternative to using a project home builder.

I may be able to use existing DA approved plans for the home (DA is around 2 years old), to which I would get minor modifications done by the original architect and resubmit to council (will need to confirm permission to use as these are not my plans).

I'm looking for a reasonable quality of fit out typical of most new project homes. I'm actually planning to use typical project home "inclusion" lists as an example of the spec I am looking for.

Have any of you gone down this type of route for a single dwelling. How well did the quotes compare from a broker or a general builder when stacked up against quotes from typical project homes builders? Is it realistic to expect a significant reduction (say 20% lower than project home builders).

Anticipated build cost is $300 to $330k if I go through project-home builders.

NB: the land is Sydney so there should be plenty of builders to choose from.

Hi Wombat,

Our pricing in Perth is different to Sydney, but i can tell you the Perth figures;

Single storey homes under $250k and 2 storey homes under $350,000 - 5% or less savings using a Broker.

For prices to be 20% cheaper you need to be spending up around $700k+

Hi Wombat,

Our pricing in Perth is different to Sydney, but i can tell you the Perth figures;

Single storey homes under $250k and 2 storey homes under $350,000 - 5% or less savings using a Broker.

For prices to be 20% cheaper you need to be spending up around $700k+

Thanks for answering. Given the budget I am working with I may just run the DA plans by some smaller building contractors directly and see what they come back with.

A long time since I have visited here.

I eventually went down the custom build route for my project-style home using a medium-size builder in western sydney. I'd guess they do at least 50 homes per year.

I was very happy with the end result and the build cost was around 10%-15% better than project home pricing. Build time was only 6 months too.

Back