building defects and buyers agents

Talked to consumer affairs Vic and they recommend sending email so that I have a record of 1) builder was contacted and made aware of the faults and 2) attempts to resolve issues. They also told me that for new buildings, non structural defects were covered for 2 years and was transferable to new owners, contract or not.
So I wrote a nice letter about the minor defects and was going to send it myself but BA tells me to send it through conveyancer. Should I send it myself or via the conveyancer? Would it be viewed negatively by the builder if I send it via the conveyancer?

Why take legal advice from the buyers agent that gave you the wrong advice before? What is the idea to send it thru a conveyancer?

I would send it myself, it will be you who they communicate to arrange inspection and carry out the work so I see no need to use the conveyancer

thanks Terry and West.
I rang them. All 3 numbers and the email that was provided on their website. Nothing. Guess they are busy? But I will keep at it. Every day, every hour if I have to. I might even visit their head office. Does persistence work? I have 2 years!

thanks Terry and West.
I rang them. All 3 numbers and the email that was provided on their website. Nothing. Guess they are busy? But I will keep at it. Every day, every hour if I have to. I might even visit their head office. Does persistence work? I have 2 years!

Give them a few days then follow up. They may need to speak with you vendor, the building supervisor and find the practical completion reports that your vendor would have signed.
When is settlement?

You say there are no structual issues. I'd get the builder to fix only the more major problems you've mentioned, and fix the rest myself.

Use email where possible for correspondence with the builder.

Building reports can often make minor issues appear like they're major, especially if you've not come across too many of these before to realise this - a bit like a car inspection report.

Most importantly take note where you went wrong in this case. The BA and P and B inspector did what was expected of them.

You are in this situation (which doesn't sound dire, btw) because of you.

west, I only found out by looking carefully through the contract for the completion report.
web, thanks for the advice. it could have been worse and I will persist to sort things out
thanks everyone! have a great week!

Back