Building Granny Flat as Dual Occ option

Has anyone used a granny flat to create a dual occ?

I'm researching options for dual occupancy as as way to increase yield and flexibility. If anyone could assist with advice, anecdotes or spreadsheets on the feasibility and pitfalls t'would be much appreciated.

Specifically any recommendations on firms, costings, etc. I've found these options and would appreciate opinions:

http://www.vgc.com.au/default/granny_cottages
and also
http://www.surelockhomes.com.au/granny_flats__onsite__transportable.html

I've looked through the forums and opinions on how a dual occ such as a granny flat affects resale seems to indicate fewer potential buyers and the issue of over capitalising hovers.

Thoughts?

Hi Julie,

I can't help with the costings but as a town planner a red flag went up when I read granny flat for dual occ! I just wanted to check that you knew that a granny flat is for a dependent person only as far as the local council is concerned. If you want to put one on your property for any other reason it just becomes a second house that needs a planning permit. Would hate for you to get in a costly mess! Good luck with it. Let me know if I can help further. Melanie

Thanks Melanie. I was aware of that but I thought you could use a granny flat as the actual dwelling you use for the second residence. Is this not so?
I've been told by a person experienced with this that Frankston council won't have a problem for this - but getting the permissions anyway. Do you have alternative recommendations?

I'm not aware of any victorian councils not allowing specific types of houses for unit developments even a granny flat. The main issue would be the look of it, some councils may want high quality architecture but if it was going in at the rear that is probably not going to be a problem. I can't comment on Frankston specifically. The thing to keep in mind that whatever dwelling you choose for your application you will need full scaled plans for. In my experience the plans that sometimes get submitted with these types of houses are not sufficient for the application process for a dual occupancy.

As for what Council I work for the answer is that I have worked for several around Melbourne but I am currently independent.

Back