Advice on my future plans

Hi guys, need some opinions on my future plans on knocking down my investment and build my home.

Land size is about 960m2 and frontage of 13.6m.

Situation is that: dual occupancy 2 small families is a must.

Which one would have more value

Plan a) My plans are to knockdown and to build a 2 storey house at the front and also fit a granny flat at the back, however funding may mean the granny flat will be built years after.

Plan b) Build a large enough 2 storey home at the front that could be split as dual occupancy.

My questions with the build of the granny flat are:

1. Is this option viable as after the front premies is built (2 storey with double garage) there will be restricted building access to get to the rear when the time comes to build the granny flat or can they work around this? or have a common driveway accessing the back and have the garage situated there.

2. Ive been looking at some granny flat designs and they look a bit dull. Are there recommendations on who can assist in building one that looks modern like a second mini home rather than just a box with windows and doors?

Im only doing this once so i want to get this done right the first time.

Any feedback is appreciated

Last edited:
Is this is Sydney? If so what area? The max floor size of a GF is 60sqm so there isn't much that can be done with that.

Why are you not considering build 2 (or more) detached or attached dwellings on the site?

That will possibly get more bang for your money no?

Regards

Shahin

Yes Inner West of Sydney.

I have had a look at the local council rules and because the frontage doesnt meet the 15m mark, im unable to consider building 2 dwellings.

I understand the 60m2 floor space limitation, however this can still be spacious if designed right with open floor plan with a big back outdoor decking area due to the length of the land.

In the right area I daresay you'd get more value out of a larger home than a smaller one with a GF. As has been discussed quite extensively here, GFs tend to add less value than what they cost or, at the very best, only add what they cost. Building a big home on an expensive plot of land should do better as it is more suited to a wider range of buyers.

Sure? because the current house on it has a approved granny flat at the back?

Need to speak to a town planner but I think Dave is right. You have the DA on the existing house but I don;t think you will be able to get it on a new dual occupancy development with a GF in the bank.

Regards

Shahin

Back