Building inspection comment

Hello,

Just having a look at a building report for a property that I like. Not sure if the below should be investigated further?

"We are not plumbers, however, it is our opinion that sub floor drainage is generally adequate. It appears that there has been significant water in the sub floor, we advise the moisture levels are monitored to ensure the subfloor stays dry, if there is significant moisture after rain it is advised you consult a drainage expert."

This was the only thing that really stood out.

This is building inspector code for:

"Under the house is all dry, but we can see that at one time there was a lot of water under there. Seems OK now. Keep an eye on it after a lot of rain. If it gets wet again, put some drainage in to stop water going under the house."

"Visible evidence of borer damage was sighted in some bearers and joints, no treatment required. The species of borer is believed to be lyctus brunneus. While we are not builders, the damage appears to be slight."

Is this similar to termites? Seems a bit risky

"At the time of inspection, leaks were found to be present in the subfloor under the bathroom"

"High moisture readings were found to the toilet wall adjacent to the bathroom"

"Hot water system needs to be piped away from building"

"The degree of risk of subterranean termite infestation is moderate to high"

Would I be right in giving this a miss?

"Visible evidence of borer damage was sighted in some bearers and joints, no treatment required. The species of borer is believed to be lyctus brunneus. While we are not builders, the damage appears to be slight."

Is this similar to termites? Seems a bit risky

Borer damage can be as bad as termites however it is likely that it occurred when the timber was still part of the tree. I have only seen 2 cases of active borer damage - one in a floor/subfloor and the flooring was turned to dust, the other in 30 year old furniture where ornate table legs were eaten out.

"At the time of inspection, leaks were found to be present in the subfloor under the bathroom"

"High moisture readings were found to the toilet wall adjacent to the bathroom"

Sounds like the shower tray has failed.

A pipe from the pressure relief valve to allow the hws to drain externally will solve this one.

"The degree of risk of subterranean termite infestation is moderate to high"

Would I be right in giving this a miss?

This may be a locality factor only ie the house is in the bush, near some big trees etc (Sydney is a high risk location).

Thanks for your reply. As I don't have much experience in this kind of thing, it makes me a bit uncertain as to where to draw the line

Thanks for your reply. As I don't have much experience in this kind of thing, it makes me a bit uncertain as to where to draw the line

Stuff breaks. Stuff needs fixing. Any house will have problems and none will ever have a perfect inspection report. At least now you have a reasonably exhaustive list and can plan ahead.

((((Please read my signature when considering anything I write, ever.))))

When I read this I thought it meant that the pipes to the HWS must be held off the wall a few centimetres (with brackets). We recently moved a HWS from inside the laundry to the outside because regulations are that it could no longer be in the laundry. We could have left it there but if it failed, new one would have to be moved.

I seemed sensible to move it outside now whilst the plumber was plumbing the new kitchen, laundry and bathroom. The new pipe has a black rubber/foam sleeve and is held off the wall by 5cm or so. Looks stupid, but that is the rule.

I would think this work would not have to be "fixed" until some plumbing work was required that would mean having to bring the current plumbing up to code?

Typically hws drainage comes up on pest report as hws discharge can cause retained moisture close to the building which can attract termites

Back