building shed on side of house

Im looking at building a shed against the house to the boundary but unclear on whether its allowed depending on how its worded?

im just after an interpretation of this
its from my council website

CAN I BUILD ON THE BOUNDARY IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA?

Class 10 buildings (garages, carports, verandahs) can be located on the boundary provided they do not link the dwelling with the boundary.
Dwellings can be built on the boundary provided they satisfy the requirements of the national construction code.
No part of a building may extend past the boundary including gutters, and storm water must not enter the neighboring property

so its saying i can:
build a shed on the boundary
build the house on the boundary
but cant link the two?

would i then be able to "extend the house to the boundary" ?

how do you define
they do not link the dwelling with the boundary
? as in touching or able to walk through from one another?

there are a few houses in the area that appear to have carports or garages on the boundary and touching the house so ill see how i go

Your shed is a 10a-classification;
10a = shed, garage etc
10b = fence, mast, retaining wall etc
10c = private bushfire shelter

Your 10a have to be 900mm away from the boundary. Otherwise, you need firewall

"they do not link the dwelling with the boundary" eg is a carport or deck (open structure), but build a certain way.

Hope that helps

thanks so by putting a firewall in i can go to the boundary (as guttering will be on the other ends)

how do i get my idea of what i want into a council application? can a builder do it or do i need someone to draw up some plans for me?

so by putting a firewall in i can go to the boundary

Sorry, I should have said "fire issue" :)

It all depend on what material you use to build your shed. A metal shed is not much of an issue. Otherwise you need a fire-rated wall/barrier.

Ps: You also need "elbow room". Its usually 450 from the fence. (all depend on what you build. And the builder tolerant :p)

how do i get my idea of what i want into a council application? can a builder do it or do i need someone to draw up some plans for me?y

Go to your council website. Look for their DA guidance or their development-section

can a builder do it or do i need someone to draw up some plans for me?y

A draft-person can do this. I alway prefer a design-and-build package

Hopes this help

Your 10a have to be 900mm away from the boundary. Otherwise, you need firewall

Sorry, this is wrong.

As far as the BCA goes, a Class 10A structure can be built right up to the boundary as long as:

1. If is is an enclosed structure (garage, shed), it is 900 mm or more from the main dwelling

2. If it is an open structure (carport, awning, pergola) it is 500 mm or more from the main dwelling.

To be considered an 'open structure', it must have 2/3 of the perimeter open. Any face within 500 mm of a boundary or other structure is considered closed.

Any structure on a boundary abutting a public reserve does not need a fire-rated-wall. A public reserve includes parks, laneways and road reserves.

This is all from Part 3.7.1 of the BCA.

Back