Bullies

We have this new team leader and she is a total control freak! She likes to make out like we are being naughty school kids and stuffing about/not doing our work. Always hovers around checking up on us.

If you happen to talk to a co-worker for more than 30 seconds she comes over & tells you off, tells you to get back to work. She doesn't tolerate you writing emails. Makes it look like you are mucking around & not doing your work.

Anyway over the past few weeks I bought these issues up at team meetings, but she still continued her behaviour and then a few days ago she wasn't happy with the fact a task took me half an hour to do. It didn't take me 30 minutes I had some other tasks I had to get done in that period of time as well.

The thing is. I'm a very good worker. Hard worker and the crap that comes out of her mouth is not true!

Anyway this latest incident time I just had enough of her ****. I totally snapped & pretty much without saying it in these words told her to **** off. Don't **** with me. Haha it felt so good to stand up to her. Guess what she has been lovely to me ever since!

Oh and I have some great news. I got another job for 3 months. It's with the same department in a different business unit. I'm so happy. I start soon. If I do well there there is a chance of extension of the contract.

Ps I told management about her behaviour but they are on her side & they say what she is doing is fine @&$)

lol I wonder how long she will last. I'm sure eventually she will clash with too many people & the manager & will end up leaving.

There is a young girl just out of school that is being badly bullied. She only showed up 1 time last week because of it. I reckon she will leave too

I'm trying to stay under the radar now as I'm trouble with management for making a stand. The top manager is the biggest bully of them all! Total psyhco!

Any advice for dealing with bullies? Anyone got any stories? I think I did the right thing by losing my temper. She is behaving differently to me now & treating me well! :)

haha. Update on this

I'm loving my new job and the people are really nice. We all get along so well. They have been really happy with my work! and have extended me for another 3 months :D I have been working hard to impress.

Oh and 6 months into the job my former (bully) team leader quit as the stress of the job got to her. I heard... she spent too much time trying to control everything her team was doing and therefore failed to have enough time to get her own work done. Everyone is really happy throughout the whole unit, not just her immediate team as she fought with everybody there. Everyone absolutely hated her. Yeah so it worked out for the best in the long run. I had a feeling she wouldn't last long.

haha. Update on this

I'm loving my new job and the people are really nice. We all get along so well. They have been really happy with my work! and have extended me for another 3 months :D I have been working hard to impress.

Oh and 6 months into the job my former (bully) team leader quit as the stress of the job got to her. I heard... she spent too much time trying to control everything her team was doing and therefore failed to have enough time to get her own work done. Everyone is really happy throughout the whole unit, not just her immediate team as she fought with everybody there. Everyone absolutely hated her. Yeah so it worked out for the best in the long run. I had a feeling she wouldn't last long.

If you think that is bullying, then you have lived a very sheltered life. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that your experience was stressful and unsettling however, put into perspective with other occupations/professions, that is kindergarten type stuff.... honestly.

I do not intend to belittle the situation but rather highlight that malice beyond some people's comprehension can exist in the workplace and when you have experienced that, everything else is mere child's play.

In the situation you detailed, I would have been firm on the first instance. If you don't stand up for yourself each and every day, then things reach boiling point.... this is when people "flip out". Such a situation is good for nobody.

Oh, and always "be calm".... emotion leads to irrational behavior which in turn is often viewed as incompetence or undesirable within the workplace. Emotion generally does not provide any tactical advantage, unless it is used to evoke empathy or sympathy. In saying that, emotion may win over a single confrontation but often has more damaging longer term affects.

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end and I hope the young girl found a strong workplace mentor to help her develop the skills to deal with incompetent management....because they exist everywhere!

:)

i've been spending a lot of time on the weight loss forums haha. i lurk here maybe once a week or fortnight now. lol guess i found a new obsession. :D I'm glad I have that kind of obsessive personality though in a way. Helps me achieve things. I'm still obsessed with property but atm taking a breather whilst i rebuild my savings.

i'll post my latest transformation pics soon. I just have to photoshop my head out. Its funny cos i lost just 2.5 kgs in 1 year but my body shape looks so different now. :eek:

---------

If you think that is bullying, then you have lived a very sheltered life. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that your experience was stressful and unsettling however, put into perspective with other occupations/professions, that is kindergarten type stuff.... honestly.

You did not live the situation! I only put some of what happened here. So you cannot make this judgement!! Was not kindgergarten stuff.

Having managed teams of consultants, I find you can generally group employees into two groups: those who Get Stuff Done and those who don't. I tend to encourage the people who Get Stuff Done, and try to limit the damage of those who don't.

You did not live the situation! I only put some of what happened here. So you cannot make this judgement!! Was not kindgergarten stuff.

I am sincerely sorry if I offended you... That was honestly not my intention.

But when you have had knives thrown at you, seen coworkers physically assaulted to the point they ended up in hospital, been assaulted & had to defend yourself from similar fate, seen human excrement thrown on coworkers and otherwise intimidated for fear of your personal safety.... Then, and only then, may the perspective I refer to be appreciated.

I'm not advocating or condoning this type of activity at all...quite the opposite. But when you have seen and endured some of the worst kind of human behavior in the workplace.... Well, let's just agree to disagree. I haven't even mentioned some of the worst stuff....

I can truly empathize with workplace abuse... More than most people could ever even imagine. :mad:

But when you have had knives thrown at you, seen coworkers physically assaulted to the point they ended up in hospital, been assaulted & had to defend yourself from similar fate, seen human excrement thrown on coworkers and otherwise intimidated for fear of your personal safety.... Then, and only then, may the perspective I refer to be appreciated.

This stuff would not be classed as "bullying" but as "assault". I am sure you would realise that you are seeing "bullying" through different eyes to 99% of the population, and probably not able to judge what is or is not "regular" workplace bullying because of the assaults you have witnessed and/or endured (and I mean no disrespect by that).

I'm not advocating or condoning this type of activity at all...quite the opposite. But when you have seen and endured some of the worst kind of human behavior in the workplace.... Well, let's just agree to disagree. I haven't even mentioned some of the worst stuff....

I can truly empathize with workplace abuse... More than most people could ever even imagine. :mad:

Do you work with old people (aged facility) or prison people?

Do you work with old people (aged facility) or prison people?

Neither... Although people in those two industries tend to have some horror stories of their own though. My profession is the tool of last resort... If we fail, then you will probably understand our perspective, if only briefly. :(

Neither... Although people in those two industries tend to have some horror stories of their own though. My profession is the tool of last resort... If we fail, then you will probably understand our perspective, if only briefly. :(

I'm guessing police or army?

I'm guessing police or army?

hmmm...Rob still talks about the time having urine thrown on him and his fellow soldiers, while in the army...by Australian protesters.

Rob's oldest brother is a cop too, in Victoria.

Sorry to hear that Indifference.
Many times you have a thankless job.

It's ok, maybe you could've worded it differently I guess, but I get you were wanting to put across your experiences. Wow that sounds horrible. Emotional and then on top of that physical abuse, scary stuff! it's hard sometimes on the net when we don't have body language, tone of voice etc when we communicate. :) thanks for the apology. 'twas bit of misunderstandings I think.

I think that emotional bullying can be just as scarring as physical. Not taking anything away from both the combo of physical and emotional impact of what your experiences and others have been.

Last edited:
Back