Bullnose verandah ideas?

Does anyone have any pictures on a renovated property with a built in bullnose verandah?

Can they look good/stylish on a well done Reno?

Last edited:
Only if they suit the style of house ie no point putting one on a modern house unless it is an interpretation of a previous style of house which would have had bullnosed verandas.

Doesn't anyone have any pictures on a renovated property with a built in bullnose verandah?

I was wondering that myself a while ago and did some googling. http://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...-nYigff-IGgDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=320&bih=356

Some of these look horrible!

My friend did a major Reno on approx 1940's house. Architect talked them out if using Bullnose as closed veranda in too much. They did pitched roof instead and it looked great.

Doesn't anyone have any pictures on a renovated property with a built in bullnose verandah?

Do you mean an old bullnose verandah on a property that was built as an open verandah and subsequently enclosed using windows? And are you asking if this can look good?

We've got an IP with a built-in verandah (not bullnose style) and it looks pretty horrible. I'd love to open it back up again, but we lose two "rooms" by doing that, one of which is a small bedroom, which equates to higher rent than a prettier two bedroom house.

Bullnose_verandah.jpg

Do you mean an old bullnose verandah on a property that was built as an open verandah and subsequently enclosed using windows? And are you asking if this can look good?

We've got an IP with a built-in verandah (not bullnose style) and it looks pretty horrible. I'd love to open it back up again, but we lose two "rooms" by doing that, one of which is a small bedroom, which equates to higher rent than a prettier two bedroom house.

Sorry, I should elaborate. It is an early 1900's house that has already been enclosed. It would definitely look better opened back up but the extra internal space is useful. Was trying to see if I can make it work..

Maybe post a picture? I know ours could be made to look better than it does if we made the effort but we wouldn't get any more rent, so we'll wait until we can add a deck/kitchen at the back, turn the existing kitchen into a bedroom and then we will still have three bedrooms if we open the verandah up as it was built.

Three bedrooms and a deck will get us more rent than three bedrooms and no deck, so the money spent for the deck will pay for itself. But simply making the house prettier will not get us more rent, but it could make it easier to get potential tenants through the door. The house is nice inside, just really ugly outside.

It is about 1930 built with sash windows. The verandah is enclosed with large aluminium sliders and they'll never win a beauty contest. Whoever did that also put in metal stringer stairs and 60s railings and replaced the battens with asbestos sheeting... nice!

I've just heard today that our tenant is agreeable to us adding a deck to our ugly enclosed front verandah house. We put it to her three years ago, but she wasn't interested in paying more rent for it back then. But she is keen now.

So... our big question is do we open up the whole front verandah to a pretty, but rather useless narrow verandah that nobody will sit on (or unlikely anyway) or do we open up half the verandah for the "pretty" and rip out the sliders to close the other half but do it with a bit of class and make this half an ensuite?

I'm planning on spending tomorrow drawing all the different ways we could do it, and I think I may need a bex and a lie down when I'm done :D.

(We will only do the deck for now, but I want to plan ahead for when this tenant leaves and we continue the plan and add a second bathroom...)

Whatever we do, we will definitely not lose the third bedroom. Off to the drawing board...

Back