Bundy beaches Matusiks next hotspot!

Hi all,

Are there any Bundy locals who happened to catch Matusik's property brekky today at Bargara?

I heard he marked the beachside areas as the next to boom, and grossly undervalued, anyone fill me in on the details?????

Regards,

Duane.

I have to agree with him and I also have my money where my mouth is. I have a large subdivision under contract, in partnership with another member of this forum, at Moore Park Beach. Both Bagara and Moore Park Beach have had supermarkets approved during the last 12 months. Jeststar are apparenly going to start flying into Bundaberg next year, the amalgamated council is going to put a break on further rezoning of land in the beach areas, I could easily go on about the place it has that much going for it.

Regards
Alistair

Put me down for one APerry.......
Oh, you already did !
It seems that the key to these places is that they have been sleepy hollows and are therefore undervalued for beachside property.

Imagine 1500 m2 and 1800 m2 green titled blocks within 800 m from the beach for $150k ! Only in Qld. You can't do that in WA anymore.

We were in Exmouth recently with the developer who had released some canal lots.
There is a 5 star Novotel Resort near the canal development, overlooking the ocean. Its quite spectacular for Exmouth, and seems a bit extravagant. The agent with us commented that if you build it, people will come. And he was right. Its like a bit of a phenomenon.
Look at 1170 Agnes Waters. Build it, and they come.

There are lots of hidden gems and sleepy hollows along the regional coastline ripe for revaluation. What tends to be missing is quality new houses and accomodation.
Organise the new housing and the whole market tends to revalue pretty rapidly.

We discovered another such place in Derby.
God forsaken run down town built on a mudflat, but so much potential, as well as demand for new and quality accomodation.
The place is bursting at the seams in winter with the grey nomads and their caravans lining up outside the caravan park as it overflows.
And then there is the gas .....
Build it and they will come, so we have also put our money where our mouths are.
And... another forum member has partnered with me in this as well !!

Kevin..

I have to agree with him and I also have my money where my mouth is. I have a large subdivision under contract, in partnership with another member of this forum, at Moore Park Beach. Both Bagara and Moore Park Beach have had supermarkets approved during the last 12 months. Jeststar are apparenly going to start flying into Bundaberg next year, the amalgamated council is going to put a break on further rezoning of land in the beach areas, I could easily go on about the place it has that much going for it.

Regards
Alistair

I bought into Bargara this year. I had a look at Moore Park, and could not find the attraction of investing there. Too far from Bundy I thought at the time. Mind you, with some shops, it will make it better. I have been up there about a dozen times in the last 3 years. Bargara just has this fantastic ambience about it. A Singaporean developer has plans to develop the foreshore from Elliot Heads back to Coral Cove, with a satellitie city planned, but taking a hammering from the Foreshore Preservation Group up there.

Hi Pendo,

I haven't been to Bargara so can't comment on it too much, but my understanding is that is down market compared to Moore Park, where there are already $1 million plus houses. It is only 20 minutes from Bundy, but I agree with you that the lack of a supermarket does mean its a long way to go shopping, however once the supermarket is built (next to the pub) I think there will be an influx of people from Bundy as the commute is not long and I can't see why anyone with money would want to live in Bundy when they could live by the beach, especially with the improvements in ammentities that are already in motion.

Regards
Alistair

Hi Pendo,

I haven't been to Bargara so can't comment on it too much, but my understanding is that is down market compared to Moore Park, where there are already $1 million plus houses. It is only 20 minutes from Bundy, but I agree with you that the lack of a supermarket does mean its a long way to go shopping, however once the supermarket is built (next to the pub) I think there will be an influx of people from Bundy as the commute is not long and I can't see why anyone with money would want to live in Bundy when they could live by the beach, especially with the improvements in ammentities that are already in motion.

Regards
Alistair

Hi Alistair

Bargara is throwing up some well designed Beachfront units as fast as Burnett Shire can approve them. Well across the road from the Beach. It has a great Motel, with the Pub behind it. Must say the Pub would be better across from the beach but anyways. There is a fantastic golf club, and the clubhouse is situated with sweeping views of the ocean. There are a about 6 or 7 cafes, with some nice street scaping thrown in. There are quite a lot of million plus houses fronting Kelly's Beach, and extending around Miller St and Woongarra Scenic Drive. Burt Bacharach has owned a holiday house along here since the 70's apparently. The shopping precinct was or is owned by one of our famous first class cricketers. Name escapes me. Woolworths should be just about to open up their new centre about now. IGA is right next door. There are a number of subdivisions underway, but all the prime coastal land is pretty much gone.
I'm keeping an eye on the Port, because there are some opportunites for riverfront land close to the entrance to the sea.

The locals don't mind living in Bundaberg. The joke is some have never been crossed the bridge north. Bundy is full of backpacking hostels, so you get a real multi cultural guest worker thing happening all year round there. I bought a 3 bedroom towhouse in May, in South Bundy. It was been revalued in Oct at $265,000. Bought at $220,000. My tenant has been renting this place for 5 years, and does not intend to move any time soon.

Thanks for the run down Pendo. Bargara certainly sounds like its more developed than Moore Park. The locals may like living in Bundy, but everywhere else in Australia there is a movement towards the beach, it will be the same there once the beachside areas have improved their services.

Bundy must have some of the cheapest beach side land in Australia, and the opportunities there really excite me. Prices have risen strongly this year, but i think the pace will only increase in coming years.

Regards
Alistair

Some of the limiting factors in Bundaberg include the lack of school facilities in the coastal suburbs. The school buses from Coral Cove and Bargara into Bundaberg are chockablock. Bundaberg State High School has re-implemented a strict boundary system due to growing numbers.
There are no high schools in the coastal suburbs and the outer primary schools are still suffering from hillbilly stigma to some degree.
Bundaberg, to me, looks good value compared to other areas with comparable facilities.

I have been reading with interest on the topic of bargara, in particular the land estates including bargara breeze.
I am in discussions with an agent on some of the remaining lots in stage 2.

What type of people are purchasing? Owner occupier or investors? Is rental demand a concern?

I haven't been there for a visit but plan to do this if I take the next step in purchasing.

The agent also mentioned stage 3 will be released in the new year but the blocks are smaller and further from the coast.

Comments are appreciated :)

I have to agree with him and I also have my money where my mouth is. I have a large subdivision under contract, in partnership with another member of this forum, at Moore Park Beach.

Regards
Alistair

Hi Al,
The beach is great, 17km of sand, no rocks! unlike Bagara.
It's in a safe zone as well, with the stingers usually only getting down as far as Gladstone. Although they still wear rashies while surfing in Agnes.
But its swimming all year round at Moore Park Beach and it's a north facing beach too.

New Units have been popping up recently but fortunately there's an abundance of green belt areas. Interesting place with the divercity of land sizes; small blocks (closer to the bowls club), 1/4 , 1/3, one acre, including acre foreshore blocks, five acre blocks and all so close to the water.

We acquired a couple of blocks before they built the school. Since then the Tavern has been finished and there seems to be more people prepared to come from Bundy making that long 20 minute drive.(around the same time it takes to drive to Bagara)

A lot of building has been happening across the bridge from Bundy too, with a large supermarket and light industry edging it way right up to the turn off to Moore Park. In fact quite a bit of building in all the outer areas in Bundy in every direction from when we last visited.

Do you and Kevin intend to build?

Hi Tim,

The supermarket and shops are going to be built next to the Pub. I'm not sure of the time frame, but it will be soon as they have DA approval. Our development is abuts the school site, we intend to do mostly house and land packages, but will sell some vacant land also as I'm keen for the estate to have some diversity of housing.

I have been reading with interest on the topic of bargara, in particular the land estates including bargara breeze.
I am in discussions with an agent on some of the remaining lots in stage 2.

Have a look at Moore Park, you will get larger blocks at lower prices and I would predict you'll also get better growth, the beach near Bargara Breeze is awful.

Regards
Alistair

The locals don't mind living in Bundaberg. The joke is some have never been crossed the bridge north.

Hi Pendo,

Yep and some dont know where Moore Park is!
That's before and after the name change to Moore Park Beach.
It probably had a bit of sigma considering it had more to offer the southern tourist than the locals with its caravan park and sandy beach.

Things seem to be turning around lately...I guess a drinking hole will do that.
and it also serves good inexpensive meals.

The community seem to be evolving too since they relocated the primary school from Welcome Creek... before the change the local bus had over 90% of the students coming from Moore Park.

The best thing is that most of the infastructure is all new, with exception to the area which is near the bowls club which has smaller blocks.

Hi Alex,
I imagine it will still take a while for the population to filter in compared to Bagara's area. Bagara's been popular for yonks with added advantage of sewerage. Personally I prefer Moore Park beach because it is nice and quite, and I like to 'use' the beach instead of just looking at a it.
So subseqently bought there a few years ago.

Incidently to other readers, just to clarify, in case someone was thinking I was selling or part of Al's subdivision:
I bought independantly to any other forum members with Mrs B&M back in 2002. Bought a house, and two blocks of land. One now has a three bedder and the other is sitting domant for future development/sale. All a lot lot cheaper than the current market ;)

The thing with beachside real estate is that they seem to cylces on their own
They go in and out of popularity, sometimes they sell like hot cakes and other times can sit quiet for multiple months before they sell.

But Queensland seems to be the growth hub and people all love the water.
So I'm guessing it wont take long. Hope it doesn't change too much as I enjoy this sleepy hollow.
Still can't get used to the sunrise instead of a sunset on the beach.

there seems to be quite a lot of land available for sale, looking at re.com.
how much of it would be subdividable ?
Tim if you check the ariel views of some of the properties for sale, you would get an idea of the land. Most of Moore Park Beach is surrounded by cane/macadamia farms.

As far as I know they are not available for subdivision. Things may change in the future, especially with amalgimations and change of state governments (as the current full stop on future canal development in Queensland at present)

Hi Mitch.Mia,
I didn't get time to visit Bagara on the last trip up North so cant help on the Bagara Breeze. I can help a little on the Moore Park end.... there is mixture with people who retired to the location, locals and southern investors.

A lot of the Mexicans got a bit burned a few years back expecting high rentals, after they bought in but unfortunately the rentals are low and lower than Bundy. Things are starting to improve and there is actally a demand for rentals at present. So thing may be starting to move again.

As far as I know they are not available for subdivision. Things may change in the future, especially with amalgimations and change of state governments (as the current full stop on future canal development in Queensland at present)

There are a few large lots of land around Moore Park that have potential for future subdivision, its all in the hands of three parties (Bundy sugar and 2 loacal land owners). I can tell you categorically that there will be nothing happening with any of this land for some time, the owners have no short term plans and the council amalgamation is going to slow any further approvals for some time. I can also tell you that the land that myself and my partners control (150 Blocks) will not be released rapidly into the market, as I am interested in driving prices up, not down.

Regards
Alistair

apparantly there is quite a rental shortage. cheap beachside land, restricted future supply, plenty of industry along with nearby infrastructure improvements... sounds good to me, I grabbed a few.

A quick update for those who are interested in this area. We have sold 20 blocks (including a few to Ausprop and family), as a mix of vacant blocks and a smaller number of H&L packages in the last week, including 4 to Japanese buyers. There is quite a lot of interest from Japan in areas such as this that are not too built up, I've also allowed one of the Japanese to option a further 10 blocks while she seeks funding. I expect we'll sell quite a few to Japanese buyers.

Regards
Alistair

A lot of the Mexicans got a bit burned a few years back expecting high rentals, after they bought in but unfortunately the rentals are low and lower than Bundy. Things are starting to improve and there is actally a demand for rentals at present. So thing may be starting to move again.

Just to clarify Tim's post, I thought I should share some figures with you-
3br b/v home in great condition with small family room, todays value $300K rents at $185, - purchased for $110K, VALUE AT the PEAK $335k PLUMMETED to $220k a few years ago (that's if we could of found a buyer, we know of many people who couldn't).

3 yr old, 3 bedder FORESHORE property rents at $240. OOUCH!

We purchased back in 2002 before the boom went thru & so the rental return has never been an issue. Lots of people bought in when it was at it's peak & were left holding properties with unrealistic rental expectations - most properties sat vacant or for sale for months. Great times for investers - FIRE SALES PRICES EVERYWHERE.

We do have a vested interest, it is a really beautiful sleepy spot, we want Moore Park Beach development & certainly want those rents to go up, hell turn it into a mini Noosa! Hope this is the start of it!!
Just don't tell my relatives that live there I said that!

Mrs B & M

Back