Business Idea - Feedback Encouraged

Thank You

Thanks,

I just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for all of their support and assistance a while ago when I first proposed my gutter cleaning business in Brisbane. Getting everyone's feedback was really invaluable in the way I marketed my business, from suggestions of gutter guard to post women delivering fridge magnets.

Since we have commenced in August, the response has been phenomenal, we have been booked out on average for three weeks and our gutter guard product is selling really well with 42% of our customers having gutter guard installed on top of the gutter cleaning.

I have increased from a sole trader to three employee's now, with recurrent bookings every three, six and twelve months from our customers, and roughly four to nine bookings a day.

So what have I learnt?

Being a Police Officer for many years (which I still am), the transition from my occupation to a new occupation has been interesting. Being a small business owner requires a person to be spread very thin, and when I now see small business enterprises I tip my hat to them. Between marketing, operations, administration, sales, business structures, and taxation, WOW its tough. In saying this though, its very liberating knowing that you are in control of your business, either good or bad.

Marketing - Each business is different and my comments only relate to gutter cleaning, but a snazzy website, a legitimate SEO consultant (not yodel) and adwords is your best friend. Paper based and yellow pages did absolutely nothing for us and after analysis did not improve our bottom line, for branding purposes it may be successful, but it did not assist a start up business. All of our customers typed in 'gutter cleaning brisbane' 'gutter cleaning sunshine coast' or 'gutter cleaning gold coast' to find us.

E-Myth - I read a book called E-Myth prior to commencing the business a while ago. Interesting reading, and although I dont believe in the complete franchise operations manual model, it made me make all of my business practices and set them at the most simplest level. Ironically, our streamlining of our invoice books has had the biggest effect on our business, never underestimate the power of simplicity.

Customer Service - What a shock... people have tolerated bad service for so long, it has almost become acceptable. I am not saying we are industry leaders at customer service, but a simple phone call when we are running behind as a result of another job, getting up on Mrs Smith roof and telling her that there is no debris in the gutter to clean and there is no charge, being honest in general and respecting peoples property, works wonder. You may not earn an income that day, but I guarantee your actions will earn you a greater reward in the future.

My apologies about the long email, but it was essentially to say thanks to everyone who contributed to my question. Thanks

as baby boomer as this seems, this can still work even for many gen y businesses

ta
rolf

I guess the older you get you tend to forget a whole new generation is out there seeing old ideas as new ;)

also kudos for Billy_Bokkie for the follow up post. Its a great read from concept to actual experience of doing it.

I think after seeing this little gem:

I'd say no... A name like aaaaaaaaaaaardvark is as old hat as the yellow pages themselves.

no no, you have the wrong idea with this...

example: car cleaning names for example.....kleenit, shinycar, autoshine, etc etc...id sooner have autoshine as in the text of the yellow pages it will come first.......thats my point.....it definitely makes a difference...you can use that poly with any name letter really..

no no, you have the wrong idea with this...

example: car cleaning names for example.....kleenit, shinycar, autoshine, etc etc...id sooner have autoshine as in the text of the yellow pages it will come first.......thats my point.....it definitely makes a difference...you can use that poly with any name letter really..

Your still not getting it.

Read the OP's latest post. He's clearly explained what has worked for him and what hasn't.

Great follow up post too Billy Bokkie. Appreciate you taking the time to come back and let us know what has worked and what hasn't.

Cheers

Rooster

Your still not getting it.

Read the OP's latest post. He's clearly explained what has worked for him and what hasn't.

Great follow up post too Billy Bokkie. Appreciate you taking the time to come back and let us know what has worked and what hasn't.

Cheers

Rooster

yeah whatever, to crook to even bother reading the thread today, ill just cancel my posts

Back