Businesses that use Gmail instead of their own domain

I advertised on gumtree (probably Australia's dodgiest site LOL) for VA/Freelance assistant services.

I was emailed by someone from Sydney at 3 in the morning (this was the time stamp) saying he was a private recruiter with 20 over years of experience. This was his number and his mobile and how I should send him my CV as he could get me hired. He also said I was proactive and he liked my ad etc.
So his business name was X and his "recruitment arm" was called Y.
Both of these are not listed in ABR's site. And he uses a Gmail account. I use a Gmail account as a central place to store all my POP in another business but the reply address and sent from address is always [email protected]

So I did more digging as one does and he advertises roles such as Techie roles, accounting etc on gumtree.

What do you think? Dodge? Do not bother to call?
Or call and suss him out?

he's probably trying to build a cv database so he can then sell your resume to recruiters (so in essence he is a private recruiter)

Regardless, you won't need to pay him a cent. If he's legit, he will never ask for any credit card details from candidates. If he gets you a job, his clients (i.e. the business that you get a job with) will be the ones that will be paying him, NOT you.

S

Just adding my 2 cents :)

I am rather wary of sending my CV to what seems to be an unregistered home-based operator. A CV contains some amount of personal information, and possibly could be used for identity theft.

Rather send my CV to a registered recruitment agency with an established network of clients.

possibly spam

or just as possible, someone that doesnt see there is a substantive problem with a hotmail or a gmail or @ISP email.

I have clients and providers worth in the many millions who dont recognise this chink , and it doesnt bother them.

ta
rolf

gmail is quite reliable, but just looks so cheap and scammy. I'd have trouble trusting any business that contacted me via one. Domain names are very affordable and give a method of searching info on you, increasing your legitimacy.

What email server are you using Aaron? Something i can have a look at for you?

In my business I am not allowed to use the company name as a part o my own domain name.

I had to set up belconnen-subs.com.au for my website but that is meaningless for emails.

Seeing how cheap and easy domain names are these days, I can't take any 'business' seriously that has an @gmail or @yahoo etc address. Looks very tacky and unprofessional. Takes you all of 20 mins (if that) to set up a domain and mail server, even if you don't get around to organising the website until later.

Just one of my pet peeves I guess.

Mazda - Agreed, I don't want my CV floating about to lord knows who.

Like a lot of the posters I was really suss about the scammy gmail account. Especially for a recruiter. Agree that Gmail is very reliable and great for checking pop mail with. I do this in my assistant role so that multiple people can access the emails and they are stored in a central location.
You can have folders, mark things off and star them etc.

I might give him a call and suss him out.

I like Gmail myself,because when I cancel my current internet provider,I still get to keep my email address.
I also have a business website and email address's attached to this site,but I still prefer Gmail,

However if I have a large potential customer I will use my business email,

Just my two cents worth :D

It's still interesting though the number of people on the other end- the jobseekers. I'd be suss of one having their own domain name. But many should not be applying for jobs using email addresses which are best suited to their own close circle of friends. An address like [email protected] does not impress a potential employer. (A made up addy but not too far off some I've seen).

Back