Buy Big

=DavidMc;542142Not saying the yield has to get back to 7.9%, but for the current scenario's figures to match the last pre-boom scenario that's what has to happen.

How so? Why does it?

Why does it need to match the last boom scenario!

or what about sitting on the fence till the boom is on its way. Since booms don't hit every suburb at once and acts more like a ripple in a pond, you will be able to identify when a boom hits then target suburbs soon to be hit by the ripple that have not yet shown any substantial price increases.

How do you determine when the "boom is on its way"?

Based on my own limted experience (9 years investing) - this is what a pre-boom looks like:

Who knows. My spidey sense just says 'not now, David'. Maybe wait till things are CF+ again then it doesn't matter if I get any growth, at least I'll be getting some income. Buying a property that's negative $10k per year during year 1 of a 7 year flat (for example) will cost you big time before it's CF+ again.

Dude, i concur,

or if not CF+ at least neutral so its not costing over the flat period; i too reckon we are due a flat period for a couple of years at least.

How do you know if it will be cheaper tomorrow?
I don't :).... but the balance of probabilities suggests to me that we're not going to have a boom in the next 6 months.

Property is a v. slow moving target.... there'll be signs of property moving up a little before the majority realise & it gains momentum. Maybe sales volumes will show an increase along with increased prices for a couple of consecutive quarters.

And even before prices/volume do start to move, I'd expect there to be be non-property related signs of an improving willingness to pay more for property - consumer confidence will be above average, car sales will be increasing, lending will be stronger, CPI may be starting to rise, ASX will be less volatile & a fair bit higher than today, fixed rates may be a little higher, investor housing credit will be starting to rise, unemployment will be falling, business profits will be increasing, GDP will be increasing (we won't be in a recession). ATM few of the above indicators are pointing towards strong housing growth. IMO the growth in the bottom quartile is temporary & artificial and is both unlikely to be sustained, and also unlikely to spread to the rest of the market.

Do you make an educated guess and then hope like hell it will be?

Do you say..........I like that property, the numbers are good but I will wait til tomorrow it will be $20 grand cheaper?

or wait til next year when its $50K cheaper but interest rates are now at 8% but you could have locked in 5% previously?
If I see a property with good numbers & the deal makes sense & the above indicators are mostly pointing to a strong economy and a consumer confident enough to spend their excess discretionary income on housing then I'll do it. Whether the property gets cheaper, or was previously cheaper isn't the issue, the issue is does the deal work for me today.

Back