Buyers market - no one is even LOOKING at my house!

neK - we bought from Elders, and their photos were magnificent, I will say. Also, DEC, I was really attracted to the colours of my place, but my dad, a painter, thinks that they are... a little overwhelming.

So. What is the verdict on getting professional photos done? I agree, the one of the pine table looks like the photographer (our real estate agent) was drunk!

Sunfish, how did you go at auction? I have always believed that house auctions are a last resort and not a particularly good way to achieve a good price for your property. What can anyone tell me about auctions?

YR

....(get rid of the green).

A second vote for "get rid of the green".

House looks good on the outside. Gardens are good. Views are good. Internally:
1. Get rid of the green
2. Get rid of those dark feature walls in the bredroom

Write some decent advertising copy (if the agent can't). It is all features & no benefits the way it is at the moment.
500+ hits and no lookers = maybe overpriced? (but personally I was instantly turned off by the green - not sure if I've mentioned that before :p).

Get a couple of agents out to give you a report on its market worth. They should do this for free - an RP Data CMA with 6 comparable sales.

YR,

As others have pointed out, the photos are unflattering. Either do better ones yourself, or pay somebody. The main photo especially, needs to be replaced. It looks like a decent house, but the photos and the text let you down.

I would also go to the trouble of getting rid of those dark colours. Some buyers can't see beyond colours that don't appeal. A bargain hunter will use that as an excuse to knock the price down, simply because they know others will be turned off by these cosmetics.

If you're desparate to sell, you might also have to lower the price to something closer to your bottom line.

Another thing, make your agent work harder for you. Ask him to report to you on a regular basis,and if he doesn't, you'll have to ring him.

As for changing agents, start looking at other agents now, so you'l have somebody lined up when the time comes ; however, I would be reluctant to go with somebody untried. Choose an agent with a good track record, who is part of a competent team.

RK

The above is my opinion; please do your own DD.

I am with your Dad and other posters - neutral colours inside and outside.

Get rid of 3 bedrooms and study from add either your house is 4 bedroom or it is not.

$529K is overpriced IMHO as I have been watching Tweed area for ages.

$489K and take anywhere from $460K upwards IMHO

Regards
Sheryn

A second vote for "get rid of the green".

House looks good on the outside. Gardens are good. Views are good. Internally:
1. Get rid of the green
2. Get rid of those dark feature walls in the bredroom

A third vote on that colour scheme. Paint it neutral and use your furnishings to provide some colour.

Hi, everyone.
Hubby and I have our house up for sale. It seems that the market is as flat as a tack here, just south of the QLD border in the Tweed shire, NSW. Our house is just lovely with great views, 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 verandah, 2 living areas, fully fenced, etc etc etc... but we can't seem to even get people through the door to look at it.

The real estate agent we have chosen has a capped commission (reason we chose him) and seems to be a nice and genuine guy. He is not recommending we drop our price, since all the other properties in the area are having the same kind of non-response. We put an ad in the paper when we did our first open house, and we are on realestate.com.au

The real estate agent has recommended that ads in the paper are not currently working (said a couple of weeks ago they had 52 open houses and only TWO people in total came). Being pro-active, I have put an ad on trading post online for one month (cost $50), and also on a couple of free internet sites, all referring to the agent as we signed a 3 month exclusive, which expires in one month.

Another idea I have had was to put small classified ads - just a few lines - in lots of the local papers (Sun, Bulletin, Echo etc) for the next open house. I remember when I was looking for my first house, that was where I looked a lot of the time, just the classifieds. I found the big ads too scary! I've not yet done these smaller ads.

Also, the real estate agent has done letter box drops with brochures, in the local area. We get four lots of brochures, apparently, as part of the exclusive. My husband and I requested another 100 of them and we letter boxed dropped them at night when we were walking the dog.

Basically, I am pro active and I want my house sold!!!!!! We have plans and our money is tied up in the property at the moment.

Does ANYONE have ANY ideas about how to get people actually through the door to LOOK at the house???!!!!!!
Any websites that are worth listing on, any anything? Should I dress up in a chicken suit and stand on the corner with a sign and point people in? lol. (now, just kidding with that one!)

Any suggestions are gratefully received.

thanks so much!
YR

p.s. How do I tell if he's a good real estate agent? I have requested new photos be taken, and that was a week and a half ago, and he still hasn't called to arrange a time. I provided him wtih a floor plan of the house, and he said he would use it on the next brochure but so far I've not seen it. I also asked him if he could put it on the realestate.com website.... nope. Also, he told us that each brochure that got printed and delivered, he would give us a copy. I have only seen the one that we actually dropped!

I'm wondering if he is slack because the market is slack, or if the market actually isn't that bad and we would be better off with another real estate agent? I truly don't want to sell it myself - I'd rather use an agent.

Another agent approached me and she has now opened her own real estate office and wants to list our property when the exclusive runs out. She said she could match our agent's commision now that she is working for herself. She just wants to get houses on her books (fair enough!). What do you recommend about having more than one agent on your property? How does that all work?

I know that area quite well and areas like yours unfortunately are going to hurt for awhile now .
But I have to wonder , how much are you asking . Woops , back again , saw price , no wonder I'm sorry . Many people put a top range price on their place and then wonder why they don't get takers in quieter times and areas . Those areas have been in la la land for 8-10 yrs don't forget , they'll return to reality now and a lot will have to suck it up.
I've sold all four places I've ever sold , myself . The last three have been via Internet .
You do have to be realistic , it doesn't matter how great you think the place is , it only matters on how it compares to others in that area and then only those others that are selling , forget the places that look great and have a price to match but that aren't selling , just forget them .
Look at what is selling , look at yours , and then create a tempting package !.

Jmo
Cheers

Last edited:
Hmmmmm so I guess it's a big NO on the current colour scheme! I'll have to consider that. Also, the REA did not put the floor plan on realestate.com, not the house. He did put the house on, but seems to be very ...... unresponsive? when we first listed with him I asked him to call me and let me know what was going on. I think I have had one phone call from him the entire two months! i have called him all the other times... and will call him again tomorrow!

So - anyone's opinions on auctions or open houses etc?

YR

Truly, Random, I'm starting to wonder if the house is a little overpriced. My husband has a figure in his head ($507 000) that we need to get or we will have lost money. I know losing money is not a good thing, but i think he's trying to recoup an expense we had elsewhere at some stage. I think i will try talk him down to $499 as that is a better price bracket, and then we will just have to not budge too much on it if (be positive! WHEN) we get offers.
YR

Truly, Random, I'm starting to wonder if the house is a little overpriced. My husband has a figure in his head ($507 000) that we need to get or we will have lost money. I know losing money is not a good thing, but i think he's trying to recoup an expense we had elsewhere at some stage. I think i will try talk him down to $499 as that is a better price bracket, and then we will just have to not budge too much on it if (be positive! WHEN) we get offers.
YR

If the market is down and you buy back in that area at the same time you sell you shouldn't really be losing money

Thanks for that, Sheryn. I really have not been keeping that close an eye on the real estate market (silly of me, I know, I should have) so was not sure where it was. The agent said that he thought that was a reasonable enough price, and looking at other properties in the area it seemed to be okay.

Jrc, we will be selling up here and moving to Berridale (the Southern Highlands) which is a very small town where we will buy a block of land and put a kit house on it. That way we will almost have our financial freedom and be able to start a family. It is a small town, but very near Jindabyne, Thredbo, Cooma and a couple of hours from Canberra, so quite a central location with the benefits of a small town (which I love). so, no, we won't be buying in the same area. I'm just itching to get a move on with it all! I shall show my husband all your advice(s?) when he gets home from work tonight.

:) YR

I agree with the comments about the colours. The dark bedroom needs to be changed, and the green. (Our dining/evening living room is deep brown, and we like it for night usage, but if we ever sell, we would think very carefully about changing this.)

Professional photos should only cost you around $150 (from memory) and you should get rid of any clutter (bedroom shot has a rubbish bin with a blue shopping bag liner in the shot and the things on the dresser need to be gone and something simple placed on it, without the runner).

De-personalise for the photos, turn every light and side lamp on.

If you have ever seen "Selling Houses Australia", think how they would dress the rooms.

I think there are strong positives, but just a better eye for detail by a professional photographer would make a huge difference, plus the recommendations on having text that makes it stand out.

Hi, Wylie,
I just spent an hour and a half on skype with my sister. She has helped me outline a letter to the real estate agent being firm and friendly, but telling him what we expect and when we want it done by!

The photos - I was moving stuff out of all the shots when the agent was taking the pics, but obviously missed the bin, and I moved quite a bit off the tall boy, but obviously not enough. :) Thanks for the advice. I have a friend who is a professional photographer and is just getting started so she might be after a few bucks to do some good photos.

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to help me out here. It is so great that you are willing and able to offer advice! I'm feeling a lot more positive about everything now after hearing from all you folks, and talking to my sister. She has asked me to ask my dad to change some of the wall colours... which I might just suck it up and do. My dad..... is...... a hard person to deal with, but i'm sure he will do it. If it means a sale, that would be worth it.

:)

YR

if I where browsing the internet and looked at your house, I would immediately move on, because of the colour scheme, it needs a neutral tone repaint and remove all clutter.
the garden also needs to be really tidy.
We just sold our house and had to drop our price , our home was probably the best presented house in the whole area.
We kept it spotless every time a prospective purchaser came through.
We even did some repainting, that made a huge difference.

I would take off the market. Paint the whole interior in Dulux Hog Bristle 1/2 strenth. Ceilings and cornices white. Have a picture of either picture 2 or picture 7 as first photo.

Hiya
Just to keep in mind, it will cost about $2000 to repaint, but would be worth it to sell.

Before you make a decision ask every one of your friends who has been round for a BBQ or party whether THEY would live with these colours! And think about other people's houses you have been in, what is the most common way to decorate? You want to aim to please the vast majority, not the few quirky cool people who have taste like yours (or who are insomnic and like a dark bedroom). I know the colours look better in real life than on the pictures, but the first point of contact for the strangers thinking of buying your home is the pictures they are seeing!!!

But seriously, do survey your friends about the decs and consider the cost of the paint versus the cost of not selling (unless dad has enough up the shed - hahah)

Love you

That last post was from my sis, by the way (if you were wondering about the love you bit.. haha) anyway, this is what she has come up with. who thinks this copy is an improvement? Do you all think that a paragraph or bullet points is better?.....

YR

Light and Spacious

This open plan airy, brick home is situated on a raised block in a lovely friendly cul de sac and would suit any family or couple starting out wanting to move into the prestigious suburb of Terranora.

The current owners say their favourite thing about living here is hosting BBQs on one of the verandas while enjoying the amazing panoramic mountain views.

Merino Place is very near to schools and there is a park with a childrens' playground at the end of the street. There are good transport links with easy access to local buses and motorways, and you are only 10 mins from beaches at Fingal, Coolangatta and Kingscliff.

Benefits of this house include:
4 large bedrooms all with built in wardrobes
2 living areas
2 bathrooms
double lock up garage with remote controls, and extra parking in the drive
large block 699sqm
Fully fenced garden
water tank
ducted a/c and ceiling fans upstairs
This is a comfortable, low maintenance, modern home, with no work to be done, in an ideal area close to shops and amenities.

View now, and this idyllic lifestyle could be yours!

That last post was from my sis, by the way (if you were wondering about the love you bit.. haha) anyway, this is what she has come up with. who thinks this copy is an improvement? Do you all think that a paragraph or bullet points is better?.....

YR

Light and Spacious

This open plan airy, brick home is situated on a raised block in a lovely friendly cul de sac and would suit any family or couple starting out wanting to move into the prestigious suburb of Terranora.

The current owners say their favourite thing about living here is hosting BBQs on one of the verandas while enjoying the amazing panoramic mountain views.

Merino Place is very near to schools and there is a park with a childrens' playground at the end of the street. There are good transport links with easy access to local buses and motorways, and you are only 10 mins from beaches at Fingal, Coolangatta and Kingscliff.

Benefits of this house include:
4 large bedrooms all with built in wardrobes
2 living areas
2 bathrooms
double lock up garage with remote controls, and extra parking in the drive
large block 699sqm
Fully fenced garden
water tank
ducted a/c and ceiling fans upstairs
This is a comfortable, low maintenance, modern home, with no work to be done, in an ideal area close to shops and amenities.

View now, and this idyllic lifestyle could be yours!

Yep, much better. And I agree to get rid of the green in the living room - it's very offputting! Also, the picture of the outside of your house is nice if you want a good picture of your garage, not so great if you want to show off your house though. I would also repaint the black bedroom to a more neutral colour just even to make it look bigger and more inviting.

This bit needs more work.
Is 'airy' something you want to be advertising in the middle of winter?
What does 'lovely' actually mean?...consider revising.
"couple starting out" sounds like it would suit a FHB but then you go on to say that it is a "prestigious" suburb.....does a normal FHB afford "prestigious" when they are starting out?
It is sounding a bit confused.

Back