Buying a car - how much to spend?

Ideo - they're a nice set of wheels. I had the GTI 6 years ago - one of the best cars to drive. The R would be something else. Enjoy and have fun with it.

Cheers. Loving it. I had a previous model Audi S3 before it and the Golf is just in another league.

I've done some 1000km days in it and stepped out without a hint of back pain or anything like that. Sits on the road in the wet very well :D

Yes, you're right DEC. I lead an extremely sheltered life. I really need to get out more. Travel a bit. Live and work in a few different countries. Invest more and make a few million. That type of thing. PM me for advice.

I wouldn't bother.

When you are into cars you sometimes don't make the best financial decisions. But damn it, life is for living. I work hard, invest hard and like to reward myself from time to time, be it a new artwork, a nice meal out (went to Ormeggio at The Spit last Friday. Stunning. 6 course degustation with matching wines. mmmmm so good) or going on holidays.

I don't get the whole live like a pauper so you can have even more money for when you retire. I'm setting myself up for a comfortable life. But that doesn't mean I'm going to restrict my life now.

It's all about balance to me.

Jeeze you must have a hard time buying property :p

As I said, if you do a lot of business driving, doing a fully serviced lease may work out a lot more cost effective for you.

As you know property or business drving is tax deductible or appreciates in value.

No tax deduction + depreciating asset = pay cash.

Good stuff ideo. I agree no sense in living like a pauper. This is supposed to be an investors forum but sometimes I wonder.

I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek on my last post. I have indeed lived and worked overseas and made bucket loads of money as I mentioned. I also enjoy spending and living. I might die a pauper but I wont live like one.

Have fun in the "R".....

Yes, you're right DEC. I lead an extremely sheltered life. I really need to get out more. Travel a bit. Live and work in a few different countries. Invest more and make a few million. That type of thing. PM me for advice.
Hey, you are the one who said
nothing beats the smell of a new car.
That was you right?

Personally, I can think of countless things that beat it.
If you can't, my point stands.

If buying a new car is what gets you off great for you but to claim that nothing beats it, especially when you also claim to be well travelled and well off seems a little sad in my eyes, after all, its an inanimate chunk of metal and plastic with no other purpose but to get from A to B.

Hey, you are the one who said

That was you right?

Personally, I can think of countless things that beat it.
If you can't, my point stands.

If buying a new car is what gets you off great for you but to claim that nothing beats it, especially when you also claim to be well travelled and well off seems a little sad in my eyes, after all, its an inanimate chunk of metal and plastic with no other purpose but to get from A to B.

You don't get it. For me a car is a whole lot more than that just a hunk of metal. It's like saying a Picasso is just some canvas with some coloured pigment dumped on it.

For me hitting the apex of a corner perfectly, just getting the tail to wag a little bit as you hit the power and nailing a better lap time gives me an adrenalin rush like nothing else. Even just flowing the car smoothly and quickly through a set of sweeping bends at a sensible speed on the road gives me a bigger rush than making money. Actually, I enjoy property, but really, it's a tool to let me do the things I want to do. And driving is so very close to the top of the list.

The feel of the turbo spooling up as I power up the main straight of Wakefield Park is like nothing else. It's a simply sublime experience.

You don't get it. For me a car is a whole lot more than that just a hunk of metal.
Sure I do, but the rest of you comment is irrelevant when the laws don't allow you to use your overpriced chunk of metal to anywhere near its full potential.
They dont even let me use my current $4000 commodore to its full potential.
PS, I was a previous Porsche owner but really, it was all a bit of a wa*k.

Last edited:
Sure I do, but the rest of you comment is irrelevant when the laws don't allow you to use your overpriced chunk of metal to anywhere near its full potential.
They dont even let me use my current $4000 commodore to its full potential.
PS, I was a previous Porsche owner but really, it was really it was all a bit of a wa*k.

Notice I said track?

As for full potential, I bet you that if a kid was to run out into the road and we were beside each other I would pull up in a minimum of 5m less than you would. It's not just about going fast. It's about stopping fast as well. And, if heaven forbid, a car came through that red light I would be the one walking away.

Once I get some more cash I am getting a dedicated track car. It's what I enjoy. It's a release from the stresses of day to day life.

You can buy "New Car Scent" airfreshener and hang it your old car for about $6. I know, it's not quite the same. :D

I heard about that - some company was developing a spray for second hand car dealers so that the car would have the "new car smell".

I discovered a lot of the smell is actually from the exhaust system (not the actual exhaust) when I replaced the headers etc.

The Y-man

Notice I said track?
I also notice you said road

As for full potential, I bet you that if a kid was to run out into the road and we were beside each other I would pull up in a minimum of 5m less than you would. It's not just about going fast. It's about stopping fast as well. And, if heaven forbid, a car came through that red light I would be the one walking away.
What if's' buts and maybe's.
What if a B Double was up your clacker as you slammed on those brakes?

Once I get some more cash I am getting a dedicated track car. It's what I enjoy. It's a release from the stresses of day to day life.
Good for you.
For average Australian a new performance car is nothing more than a pose, a wa*k, like having a big 4wd that never sees offroad, but if you actually intend to use it then it is quite justified

My WRX got a nice coat of mud from some unsealed roads over the weekend...:D:D I like being able to turn the traction control off...:D:D:D

A car should serve your purpose, and you should also be aware of what it costs (both financially and in opportunity cost). I'm happy to spend about 20% of one year's income once every 5-6 years to buy a new car.

It will be short. That knew car smell is toxic it is toxins being released from plastics. Maybe you need to get a life if such a small mundane thing gives you a thrill.

I swear if he had posted about driving around in 20 yr old piece of crap., people would have posted telling him he's a knob for not buying a luxury car :rolleyes:

You don't get it. For me a car is a whole lot more than that just a hunk of metal. It's like saying a Picasso is just some canvas with some coloured pigment dumped on it.

For me hitting the apex of a corner perfectly, just getting the tail to wag a little bit as you hit the power and nailing a better lap time gives me an adrenalin rush like nothing else. Even just flowing the car smoothly and quickly through a set of sweeping bends at a sensible speed on the road gives me a bigger rush than making money. Actually, I enjoy property, but really, it's a tool to let me do the things I want to do. And driving is so very close to the top of the list.

The feel of the turbo spooling up as I power up the main straight of Wakefield Park is like nothing else. It's a simply sublime experience.

Agreed! Same here....

I "own" 3 cars & a Ducati personally (yes I actually own them). Plus Mrs Indi has her own car. Excessive? Not at all.... I can afford them & I really enjoy them!

My 2005 Mustang is my daily driver :D
My 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo is my "toy"
My 1969 SS396 Chevrolet Chevelle is my pride & joy muscle car
My Ducati is because I can & for track days (like Phillip Island) which I utterly enjoy.

The wife's car is for family haulin', shopping & all that boring stuff ;)

I know it may seem excessive & a waste of $ to many here, but I can actually afford to own and run all my vehicles whilst still investing. Heck, I can already retire on a passive income well above the average retiree & I'm not even 40!

Life is for living & I don't wonder what if.... I don't say "one day I will go on that holiday" or "one day I would like to live overseas"... I actually do it. On that note, I have a 10 day ski trip to Colorado to get ready for..... :D

My Ducati is because I can & for track days (like Phillip Island) which I utterly enjoy.

I'm jealous. What lap times are you getting at the Island?

You're a legend mate. Kudos.

I'd love to get my hands on the S4 when I'm back in Oz...

Agreed! Same here....

I "own" 3 cars & a Ducati personally (yes I actually own them). Plus Mrs Indi has her own car. Excessive? Not at all.... I can afford them & I really enjoy them!

The wife's car is for family haulin', shopping & all that boring stuff ;)

I know it may seem excessive & a waste of $ to many here, but I can actually afford to own and run all my vehicles whilst still investing. Heck, I can already retire on a passive income well above the average retiree & I'm not even 40!

Life is for living & I don't wonder what if.... I don't say "one day I will go on that holiday" or "one day I would like to live overseas"... I actually do it. On that note, I have a 10 day ski trip to Colorado to get ready for..... :D

Ohhhhh tasty. That Chevelle sounds a bit of alright. Lovely things.

The next car for me will be a toy for trackdays only - thinking of building up a Clubman style thing which will be owned. I don't own my daily because it is more effective to run it as a business vehicle and lease it - but I could own it if I wanted.

I guess that's the thing. If you don't get it, you don't understand that something that brings such enjoyment gives you the incentive to work hard and invest hard. It's something to look forward to and plan for.

I am not one of those only buying marked down food and only allowing myself a treat when chocolate bards are on sale. I'm in this to have a comfortable life for myself and reward myself when I can afford it.

I was going to go to Spain and the UK for a couple of months later this year, but decided to bring my partners parents over the Australia from the UK instead. They don't have much cash and have never been so I figured that was a nicer gesture.

Cliche New vs Old arguments!

We all have different passions. If car is your passion splurge on it, if not save on cars and splurge on something else. Some people keep $6000 cars but splurge on travel. I wouldn't call them a pauper. Some people love art, for others it's a waste. All personal preference.

The Original poster asked opinion on what would be minimum financial cost to spend on a car which is not a false economy. This also indicates to me that a car is not much more than a vehicle to travel from A to B for him (like most people).

Back