Buying a car - how much to spend?

So many opinions. Secretly all of us lust cars.

Back on topic.

Presently we own Forester X 05. 170,000km and never missed a beat, cheap as to service if you find good mechanic and not Subaru. Ust did read brakes for $180.

Had a Subaru Impezza RX (not WRX) 1998. Still going with almost 200k. Sold it to Mum who sold it to Niece. Mum didn't drive it far.

In between had an Alfa Romeo 147:eek: Sold it before it ran out of warrant and start costing me $ as well as time in the shop. Shocking Car.

DON"T get a XT the turbo. Uses heaps more fue,l only Premium and you don't need it. It screams I wanted WRX but I have family.

For new the new Subaru XV is very good.

2000 is too old and 2008 ok but not turbo.

The only grip I have with Subaru's is the frameless windows can whistle at highway but the new model Forester has frames. The Yokohama Geolander Tyres squeal.

Subaru hold their values.

Peter 14.7

Back on topic.

Presently we own Forester X 05. 170,000km and never missed a beat, cheap as to service if you find good mechanic and not Subaru. Ust did read brakes for $180.

Had a Subaru Impezza RX (not WRX) 1998. Still going with almost 200k. Sold it to Mum who sold it to Niece. Mum didn't drive it far.

In between had an Alfa Romeo 147:eek: Sold it before it ran out of warrant and start costing me $ as well as time in the shop. Shocking Car.

DON"T get a XT the turbo. Uses heaps more fue,l only Premium and you don't need it. It screams I wanted WRX but I have family.

The only grip I have with Subaru's is the frameless windows can whistle at highway but the new model Forester has frames. The Yokohama Geolander Tyres squeal.

Peter 14.7

If you want a Forester XT turbo, DON'T test drive a WRX - you'll be smitten.

The WRX is not perfect, but it is seriously good fun.

As taken from their website:

What are DataDots?

DataDots are tiny microscopic discs (microdots), that contain unique information that's linked to your property and you. As small as a grain of sand, DataDots are recognised as being one of the most effective ways of preventing theft, and play a crucial role in the recovery and return of stolen goods. The unique etched code on the DataDot is stored on our worldwide verification database, DataBaseDNA.

DataDots can be brushed or sprayed onto assets, and stay there for the life of the asset. DataDot Technology Ltd has patented its own innovative spray process, which can now spray a complete car in less than 60 seconds. A car can be fitted with thousands of DataDots, most often applied at the place of assembly, importation facility, or in the aftermarket through dealers. DataDots can be detected with a UV light due to DataTraceDNA which is included in the adhesive as an invisible or ‘covert' marker, providing absolute proof of product, and supplying an additional layer of security. The unique code on the DataDot can be read with a simple magnifying device - no complicated forensic investigation necessary.

DataDots are most widely used to protect motor vehicles, motor cycles, trailers, marine craft, business and personal assets.

Essentially a brilliant idea, with Subaru an early adopter due to horrendous insurance premiums on WRX (like $2,500 per annum) being the ram raider car of choice in 1990's.

Even if the car is stripped and sold for parts the dots are everywhere and only one needs to be found to prove original supply.

Again, great idea.

Peter 14.7

As taken from their website:

What are DataDots?

DataDots are tiny microscopic discs (microdots), that contain unique information that's linked to your property and you. As small as a grain of sand, DataDots are recognised as being one of the most effective ways of preventing theft, and play a crucial role in the recovery and return of stolen goods. The unique etched code on the DataDot is stored on our worldwide verification database, DataBaseDNA.

DataDots can be brushed or sprayed onto assets, and stay there for the life of the asset. DataDot Technology Ltd has patented its own innovative spray process, which can now spray a complete car in less than 60 seconds. A car can be fitted with thousands of DataDots, most often applied at the place of assembly, importation facility, or in the aftermarket through dealers. DataDots can be detected with a UV light due to DataTraceDNA which is included in the adhesive as an invisible or ‘covert' marker, providing absolute proof of product, and supplying an additional layer of security. The unique code on the DataDot can be read with a simple magnifying device - no complicated forensic investigation necessary.

DataDots are most widely used to protect motor vehicles, motor cycles, trailers, marine craft, business and personal assets.

Essentially a brilliant idea, with Subaru an early adopter due to horrendous insurance premiums on WRX (like $2,500 per annum) being the ram raider car of choice in 1990's.

Even if the car is stripped and sold for parts the dots are everywhere and only one needs to be found to prove original supply.

Again, great idea.

Peter 14.7

Righteo, Nice & simple :confused:

Data dots can be bought and sprayed on any vehicle as far as I am aware.

I recall discussing this at a Neighbourhood Watch meeting years ago, and at that time, the police were not that interested in the product. From memory it was due to not having the equipment to "read" the dots at each station.

I cannot remember the details, but my memory is that you order your own Data dots and spray it from a can onto whatever surface or item you wish to, including televisions, computers, vehicles etc.

Data dots can be bought and sprayed on any vehicle as far as I am aware.

I recall discussing this at a Neighbourhood Watch meeting years ago, and at that time, the police were not that interested in the product. From memory it was due to not having the equipment to "read" the dots at each station.

I cannot remember the details, but my memory is that you order your own Data dots and spray it from a can onto whatever surface or item you wish to, including televisions, computers, vehicles etc.

If it doesn't reduce insurance policies / get used by police then it's still good for.......................................................................................?

If you want a Forester XT turbo, DON'T test drive a WRX - you'll be smitten.

The WRX is not perfect, but it is seriously good fun.

Bought an MY11 Forester XT last year. Two of my kids have Subarus, and love them. One is an older Outback, and the other is a modified Liberty wagon he calls a 'sleeper'.
I knew when I bought this car, that it would be a bit more expensive all round to operate, but was my first new car in 28 years, so I took the plunge.
Don't regret it one bit. It is a real fun car to drive, and whilst it ain't a WRX, I can fit more grandkids in this one. And it's no slouch, either.:D
Love it.

Amy

If it doesn't reduce insurance policies / get used by police then it's still good for.......................................................................................?

Data dots do significantly reduced premiums on cars. You don't have to worry about applying them as Subaru does them in the factory. It sthe home market that the Police don't care about.

A 2004 report by the National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council advises;

BMW and Holden Special Vehicles reported a 60 percent reduction in thefts. Subaru has experienced a 95 percent drop in vehicles stolen by professional car thieves after putting DataDots on all its new vehicles.

I know the day after we got our 1998 Imprezza RX, which looks to untrained eye like a WRX, we parked in the Kings Cross for brekkie. Came back and found 2 Cops viewing it because it had a flat tyre. I panicked and said "what's up", and they relaxed. They thought someone had stolen it and dumped when they got the flat.

Only the upmarket high end brands use them like Audi, HSV, VW, Porsche. Subaru is an anomaly because they were such a theft magnet.

Anyhow the XT Forester will be covered. They go very fast with 170kw as opposed to 110kw in non turbo version. You made a wise choice,

Peter

Getting your car back...

Data dots do significantly reduced premiums on cars. You don't have to worry about applying them as Subaru does them in the factory. It sthe home market that the Police don't care about.

This could be the problem. The person who asked a cop at our meeting was asking about it because she wanted to get into the business (I think).

What you are saying Peter (I think) is that thieves KNOW which cars have the Data Dots sprayed on in the factory, whereas Dada Dots sprayed by the vehicle owner is hit and miss. I guess if you order them though, that you would also get some type of sticker warning would be thieves that "this car is protected by Data Dots" or similar wording.

I don't know if the Police have the equipment to "read" the Data Dots that are bought and sprayed on by Joe Public. The meeting I am talking about was probably at least five years ago. A lot can change in five years.

Back then, engraving your TVs and other valuables was the favoured method, and then registering that. Spraying Data Dots seemed a fantastic idea and much less clunky than borrowing an engraver, engraving stuff and then recording and registering it to a website.

Does anybody know whether the idea of Data Dots is up and running. I think I might google and find out. I'll report back.

That was quick - http://www.datadotdna.com/au/

Last edited:
That's right. As part of my answer I came across this:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_104...heft-Resistant-car-on-Market/newsarticle.html

Went from one of the worst to one of the best. I know this as, yes , I really wanted a WRX when we got the RX but parked in the inner City Street it would have lasted 3 days.

Having a sticker does not work becasue the theft does not read it.

Of course data dots don't stop joy riders but professional rebirth set ups and parts.

Wife has the Forester now. Loves it.

I have my Farm Ute. A Hilux workmate 03 running on gas. Love it. No on e steals it. Too plain.

Back on topic.

Peter 14.7

Do you really think so ?

I think a lot of people... ok, I'll be more honest, I think I like NICE STUFF... included in that is cars / houses / food / holidays / clothes / boats / jewellery
but not specifically cars, I wonder how many other people are the same... I can get enthusiastic about them when talking about them, but just the same as other things. If I could afford more, I'd buy more but it wouldn't necessarily be a car at something else's expense

Do you really think so ?

I think a lot of people... ok, I'll be more honest, I think I like NICE STUFF... included in that is cars / houses / food / holidays / clothes / boats / jewellery
but not specifically cars, I wonder how many other people are the same... I can get enthusiastic about them when talking about them, but just the same as other things. If I could afford more, I'd buy more but it wouldn't necessarily be a car at something else's expense

Yes, whenever there is car thread on SS it gets a lot of responses. Once there was Ferrari thread and it went on for weeks.

At the risk of being branded sexist, men like cars, and tools.

Women like handbags, shoes, jewellery.

Maybe is some latent "white stallion" thing.

Personally, I like cars and fine food and industrial antiques, but only indulge the second two.

Peter

Shamelessly stolen:

If you truly love motor vehicles (no matter how many wheels), sooner or later you’re going to run into a car (truck, motorcycle, whatever) that absolutely gives you wood just thinking about it. It’s for sale, it looks good and you can afford it.

At which point you forget the naysayers, the cheap *******s that won’t own a car unless it’s a virtual pre-housing bubble Fortune 500 investment, those cringing folks that are worried about the cost of a rubber hose to the point that the buffalo screamed loudly the last time they had to take a nickle out to buy a replacement part. AKA, those people who claim to be motor vehicle lovers, but won’t back it up by being willing to take the risk once in a while to face a large repair bill in exchange for the glories of downshifting into a decreasing radius curve at 20mph above the posted speed limit (much less the recommended limit on that little yellow sign just before the curve).

So you take a chance, buy a magnificent car, and every once in a while it prangs you for four figures? So what? Weigh that against all those good days, the days when life is completely in the toilet and everything is going wrong – but you don’t notice, ten miles down the road in that ‘you should have known better’ expense.

I’ve done it. One of the great fascinations of my life was to own a Triumph T150V (for the uninitiated, the original 69-74 Triumph Trident). My best friend, who was the Triumph dealer in my home town when they were new warned me against it. Gave me a complete list of everything that’s going to go wrong if I was stupid enough to buy one.

I bought one, anyway. And a bitsa, to boot. And in seven years of ownership, every one of those predicted things went wrong. And I’m still overjoyed I owned that bike, if for no other reason than adding that third cylinder to your basic 500cc British vertical twin turns it into something completely different. And, as a British motorcycle lover, my life would have been a lot poorer if I hadn’t experienced it. Even having to go thru a $2400 complete engine rebuild halfway through its life (my fault, due to a bit of arcane knowledge that I didn’t discover until after I blew the mill – never use the reserve petcock as reserve) didn’t hurt the enjoyment of that bike one bit.

That’s not the only time. I’ve always felt that the Ducati Paso was one of the most gorgeous motorcycles ever made. And halfway thru my tenure as the parts manager at Ducati Richmond, I had a chance to get a 906, and a 1 of 100 blue and white one, no less. Yeah, those old Cagiva parts gave me fits until we (myself and the shop mechanics one winter) gave it a complete go-over and replaced a lot of the bike with later-built replacement parts. The end result? The only sport bike I’ve ever been completely comfortable in riding, one of the best rides of my life, and one of the most gorgeous motorcycles I will ever see. I cried the day I had to sell it (due to my wife’s health care costs, I’m caring for an invalid).

I’m on my third “you gotta be out of your mind” vehicle right now. A 1987 Porsche 924S with 126k on the clock. Was originally looking for a first generation Miata when I stumbled across it. Always loved the front engine Porsche’s way more than the rear engined cars (fifteen years earlier almost bought a 928, got the ‘spreadsheet the repair costs’ willies and didn’t – still regret that decision). And the way it handled cut the couple of Miata’s, I’d previously driven, dead. And when the seller suggest we go back out an re-run the route I’d just driven, but a good bit faster, I was sold.

I’m doing OK. Having no service records, I immediately budgeted for the $2k timing belt, water pump, etc., etc., etc. and had it done within a week of purchase. It annually pings me to the tune of about $500-700 for a repair. Fuel pump was the latest back in April. And since my wife is no longer capable of riding pillion with me on the bikes, I thank God that I spent the money. It still gives us a Saturday like we used to have, just with four wheels instead of two.

Live. Its only money, and as long as there’s a roof over your head, food on the table, and something put aside to insure those two will be covered in the future, then live to enjoy. If you’re going to get like those on this forum who have to spreadsheet every repair and agonize over resale value, then just buy a damned Corolla and shut the ‘ef up. You’re not a car enthusiast, you’re an accountant who can only afford reliable appliances.

And, I hope you never ‘get it out of your system’. Yeah, that M5 will someday lose it’s luster (maybe – it could turn out of be a lifelong keeper, no matter what the expense). At which point, follow another dream, and damned be the cost.

Myself? I’m 61, and someday, before I die, I’m going to own a Ferrari. Nothing valuable or collectable as I can’t afford the purchase price (fortunately I’ve always like the 400i), but I’m going to have a genuine, ruinously expensive to maintenance Ferrari. And life as I see it will be better for the experience. I’ve got no kids to leave my estate to. Better I whittle it down a bit at a time supporting some good Ferrari mechanic, and have the joy of listening to the V-12 bellow down the straights."

At which point you forget the naysayers, the cheap *******s that won’t own a car unless it’s a virtual pre-housing bubble Fortune 500 investment, those cringing folks that are worried about the cost of a rubber hose to the point that the buffalo screamed loudly the last time they had to take a nickle out to buy a replacement part. AKA, those people who claim to be motor vehicle lovers, but won’t back it up by being willing to take the risk once in a while to face a large repair bill in exchange for the glories of downshifting into a decreasing radius curve at 20mph above the posted speed limit (much less the recommended limit on that little yellow sign just before the curve).
Lost me after this ridiculous and emotional rant.:rolleyes:

Lost me after this ridiculous and emotional rant.:rolleyes:

Nope. It's about having a passion in life. And it's not directed at those who don't have an interest in driving. It's to those who claim to be car enthusiasts but who don't take a plunge.

It's not a rational purchase from an economic sense. But neither are some of the most enjoyable things in life. A meal of chickpeas will fill you up as effectively as a 6 course degustation menu. But one you will remember. A 1997 Ford Festiva will get me to the shops and back, but won't give me any frisson of excitement when I get to that stretch of corkscrewing road leading south out of Brooklyn climbing towards Cowan.

It's why I make money. So I can enjoy the fruits of my labour.

Nope. It's about having a passion in life. And it's not directed at those who don't have an interest in driving. It's to those who claim to be car enthusiasts but who don't take a plunge.

Its ridiculous in the fact that a $4000 commodore with FE2 suspension (what I drive now) will allow me just as easily to break the law by
downshifting into a decreasing radius curve at 20mph above the posted speed limit (much less the recommended limit on that little yellow sign just before the curve).
I dont need to have a sports car to do that
I dont need to inflate my ego either.

Like I said, I have had a Porsche before and while it was a nice car to drive it was next to useless for anything else and if honest with oneself, it was about inflating ego, proof of my success, more than anything else.

Now that I am a bit older I have no need to prove anything to anyone.
Perhaps that will change if I start suffering a mid life crisis.:D

Back