Buying a house next to a park

What do people think about buying a house next to a park?

I ran a search for the same question and came up with one thread from about 4 years ago.

The particular park I am talking about, has no toilets, no play equipment and only has a concrete path through it with a picnic table, which I don't believe anyone uses. From what I can gather by talking to people in the area is the park is only really used as a thoroughfare for people doing afternoon exercise and there isn't that many people using it. The park size is 1.2 acres and doesn't have many trees in it. There are a lot of other much larger parks in the area which I gather people use to kick a football around or other mucking around in. In fact there is a 5 acre park across the road from the one I describe.

The downsides I can think of are thiefs possibly getting easy access to the property, but it is a very open park, so the chance of being seen would be high, except at night of course. Another negative might be that it would limit potential buyers for the same reasons that people classically think of about living next to a park.

One positive I know of is you will never have to worry about neighbour problems on that side.

Can anyone think of any other issues good or bad that could be encountered by buying next to a park?

Talk to the local council and see what activities are planned throughout the year for its use, how often is it maintained and what is Council's long term prospect for the area.

Look out for any night time lighting that may affect the property that you are looking at.

Generally I would take a look at the area at different times and days that you would normally be at home and see what activity there is.

I personally live a few houses away from a large park and love it.

Saying that, I would not want to live right next to it due to:

- the noise and after hours activity
- lack of parking during events
- having to pay 100% of the common fence
- having people look over into your yard
etc

However, take note that some council green corridors are not parks but:

- fire trails
- water drainage areas
- vacant land awaiting rezoning
etc

- vacant land awaiting rezoning
etc

Good point. Happened to someone I knew ages ago. They bought next to a park and it became a block of flays when the council sold off the land. There wasn't a peep from residents as there were plenty of better parks nearby.

Good point. Happened to someone I knew ages ago. They bought next to a park and it became a block of flays when the council sold off the land. There wasn't a peep from residents as there were plenty of better parks nearby.

I am pretty sure the NIMBYs were out in full force when the Council was considering rezoning...you can't exactly complain once the permit has been issued.

We back onto a park with a walkway, kiddies' playground and a couple of seats.

Occassionally we have excited teens running around late at night. Having said that, the police arrive within two minutes of the first phonecall from residents and those teens never do it again. By occassionally, i mean once every two years or so.

What can be annoying is the residents' dogs who decide to bark at every single dog-walker who uses our park. That would be the same if we all walked our dogs along the footpaths.

Overall this park is definitely an asset. We have lived here for more than twenty years.

The downsides I can think of are thiefs possibly getting easy access to the property, but it is a very open park, so the chance of being seen would be high, except at night of course. Another negative might be that it would limit potential buyers for the same reasons that people classically think of about living next to a park.

Can anyone think of any other issues good or bad that could be encountered by buying next to a park?[/QUOTE]

parkland

only issue i have is easy access for a thief, good security is a must.
a big dog is the go.
ive a friend that's had his house robbed 4 times, it back's onto parkland.

I bought next to a park in July of last year - actually - I side and back to the park so 2/3 of the back fence is park-side. Its a reserve with some swings and some minimal equipment which is rarely used ... In summer I get games of volley ball played at the back in the late afternoons - of the occassional game of footy. I don't mind. I'd rather live next to a reserve than a child care centre or have a loud neighbour!

I do sometimes get teens during the day and people do sometimes sit in the park and drink late at night in the summer - but not so much in the winter - having said that - I like sitting on my patio and being surrounded by gum trees - the birds roost and its just lovely. I have one direct neighbor and they are lovely and quiet. I have NEVER regreted my decision.

When I went to the open for inspection that was planned for my place that went ahead just after I signed on the dotted line - there were 6 groups who went through - and 3 of them were highly interested in it - so I dont see it as a negative. There were also 3 parties in negotiations for the property - and I got 'lucky' because I had a relationship with my agent by this point and the owner wanted it sold and I was willing to sign ASAP. I'd spent 7 months looking for a house and I knew what I wanted.

My house is close to primary and high schools, minutes away from the bus stop, sports facilities, fast food outlets, three shopping centres with a train station not so far. So I think all things considered - some noisy kids every now and then isnt an issue for me.

As for safety - I get grafitti on the fence every now and then - but council takes care of it pretty quickly. The house already has bars on the back windows (kitchen/bathroom/toilet) and for further peace of mind being a chick in a house - I got myself a compact 3.5 year old staffy cross from the Animal Welfare League and he has been the most awesome home safety investment ever - He used to be out at night and he would bark a bit -until I told him to shut it - but since its getting chilly - I've moved him inside next to my bed so that's probably the safer option for me :) ... He's selective about what he barks at - not children or people with children - yes, people with dogs but only if they walk along the fence line, and people that he feels are up to no good. Other than that he doesnt bark. ALL the neighbours have dogs - rotties, chihuahuas, staffys ... and you know when they are barking - there are people up to no good. Oh and he HATES it when council whippersnippers the fenceline ... He goes off. So I know he's a good investment! Oh and I live in a bit of a 'questionable' area that has a repuation :D

Go stalk the park one Friday or Saturday night if you want to see what happens there ...

So, I would say, if the house is a good one, and it has great things going for it in terms of an investment (yes I live in my house, but I won't forever and one day will convert it into an investment when I move on) then I wouldnt be too concerned. Rescue a dog.

Just looking to renew some home and contents insurance, and one question they asked me was if the property was next to a park or not.

So housing next to parks must statistically be more of a risk. Have no idea how much it effects premiums though. Why don't you ring up an insurer and ask. The one that asked me this question lately was youi insurance.

I always thought of parks as positives if you have a family or a pet. One massive extra backyard. Plus a leafy outlook that can't be built out.

What do people think about buying a house next to a park?

I ran a search for the same question and came up with one thread from about 4 years ago.

The particular park I am talking about, has no toilets, no play equipment and only has a concrete path through it with a picnic table, which I don't believe anyone uses. From what I can gather by talking to people in the area is the park is only really used as a thoroughfare for people doing afternoon exercise and there isn't that many people using it. The park size is 1.2 acres and doesn't have many trees in it. There are a lot of other much larger parks in the area which I gather people use to kick a football around or other mucking around in. In fact there is a 5 acre park across the road from the one I describe.

One positive I know of is you will never have to worry about neighbour problems on that side.

Can anyone think of any other issues good or bad that could be encountered by buying next to a park?
We have one next too a inner city park,it's done very well over the past 18 years,the only problem was a large toilet block right next too a car park,but the BCC locks the block up early each night and floodlit the carpark so not many people hang around there now,and the funny part about that park is it has been
on title as all building blocks but they never sold them off from 50 years ago..

Back