Buying a property that its not for sale

If you wanted to but a particular property for an investment and you dont know the vendor (but he lives set the property)how would you go about it. Would you have an agent contact him and see if he wanted to sell, would you just walk up to the door and ask him yourself or what. Obviously you wouldn't want to come across as too keen that they ask for more than what its worth but you dont really have many shots at asking them without seeming too keen, so I need a good offer that would have him interested from the beginning. If he's not interested in selling because he doesnt want to move thats fine he could rent iut from me

I'd say you have two options: either write a letter or knock on the door. I think the latter is preferable. Apologise for the interruption, tell him you're not an agent but that you are looking for a house in the area. Tell him how much you like his house & ask if he would consider selling it to you. You will probably need to arrange a valuation so the vendor knows they're getting a fair price. Make sure it's a registered valuer & not a RE agent.

I agree with what Ms Jade said. Rock up to the front door and have a low key chat. But remember, your chances don't rate highly that the owner will want to sell - but always worth a chance.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, consider hiring a Buyers Agent who would do it for you. I would not be approaching a selling agent to do the same thing, as it will only increase the amount of commission the owner would need to pay.

FWIW, my sister was looking to move around her area (North Balwyn) and did a letter box drop for houses she liked. She got 3 calls, so you never know your luck until you try!

Back