Buying a property through a trust - FHO / stamp duty / CGT implications etc

Thanks all, I've just met with a broker & laid it all out and he seemed quite positive that we will find a loan (though like PT Bear said a few lenders won't consider us as an option)... but all good so far.

At this stage, we are going to go down the route of the property in my name only, though with a joint loan (as I can't afford in on just my salary). So asset protection wise, it probably helps a little bit, but not necessarily a lot - more like you say Terry in that the creditor would have to take us to court to get the court to determine that I hold it on trust for both of us, so they are unlikely to do that (well fingers crossed anyway!).

Thanks everyone for your help, its been much appreciated! :)

Anna

Hi Marty,

That's a good point - though just thinking this through, if he is a joint applicant on the loan, it probably doesn't make any difference (and may just become more complicated as we want an offset account so would prefer his pay to go directly into that account, rather than via me - though likely only a day or so's difference each time).

I DO think it would make a BIG difference if he wasn't on the loan in which case he would definitely need to be paying me rent effectively...

Will have a think about it, though it can't hurt :)

Do try to have yourself only make the payments. This may help, but can't hurt. Good tip from Marty

Also down the track it may be possible to get him off the loan too.

Back