Buying block and building

Hello all

Just a newbie to the forum - thanks for the wealth of information that everyone has shared. Great forum - these are first wobbly steps for me.

I am buying a block for a construction IP. The block is with vendor A and the building to be built with vendor B.

B has just come back to me to say survey pegs are missing. Should this be the responsibility of vendor A to get it in place or should I get an independent surveyor. It will cost me $700.

Advance thanks and appreciation..

pelican3

Pegs

Hi Pelican,

the builder will normally have it written into the contract that if all services/pegs are not present they will require you to carry it out.

You may want to check with your chosen builder as some may differ. They should be able to organise it for you and then put it down as a variation on the building contract. Again - depends on the builder.

Good luck

buying land and building

I have just bought a block of land and am going to build on it.

This is what is written in the contract for the house build.

"If the Building Contract or Building Schedule so indicates, the Owner shall, at the Owner's expense obtain a certified survey of the site. If no survey is required, the Owner hereby certifies that the placement of the existing survey pegs or fences on the site is correct."

That pretty much says if the survey pegs are still there then I can choose to accept that they are correct (at my risk) or obtain a survey at my cost. If they are missing it is my responsibility to organise a survey.

However I do understand your thoughts that the vendor of the land may be responsible. I guess you need to check the contract for the sale of the land and see if it is covered.
My guess is that you will wear the cost.

Years ago people used to contact the local TAFE and get the students to do their surveys as practice (cheap cash rate). Obviously they are not qualified yet but it's not rocket science (especially with GPS these days) and they should be quite competent at marking out boundaries.

bob is right - get a survey regardless - you'd be amazed at the number of times the survey pegs are not in the right spot. people move them all the time - even in new subdivisions.

whenever i buy, i always, always make it subject to survey - and get one done prior to settlement - so that i can rest assured that the property i am viewing is the one i am buying.

at the end of the day, when you're making many 10's of thousands of dollars (hopefully 100's of thousands) on the property - a mere $700 is worth any potential future hassle.

Now to the next stage

Land finally settled and they are putting down the slab.

As the land/building is in SA (north addy), I am looking for someone to remove the soil/clear the site before the frames are delivered.

As I am not available to run spot checks, would it be a good idea to have assistance onsite. Any guidance or links to firms that do such work? or pm me if you/ your firm/ your friends are in this line of work.

The package is with World Concepts Homes and they are prepared to do the clear the site at a much higher cost than if I can do it myself.

Silversands

What a creative approach - win-win all round. I am not onsite - need someone to negotiate for me - are u willing? Or know someone ? Site is in Davoren Park..

Hi, if you're from out of state, I'll suggest just pay the builders to do the stuff. Tradesmen you don't know will charge an arm & a leg & the delay will cost far more than you realise at this point.

I know, World Concept Homes will charge more than you want to pay but they are quite organised.

They're also regulated by law.

My houses were built by them.

I'd advise just add 20% to what they quoted you & you'll be home & dry soon.

If you could get a house built for around $250000 inclusive of everything, you'd have done well.

Good luck,
KY

hey pelican,

sorry, if I was closer I would drop in on them for you and ask, but as I am a full time business proprietor and small time developer I'm time poor and would have no way of getting back to them to make sure they had fulfilled their end of the bargain, after sinking the beers. :rolleyes:
I'm way down Adelaide's deep south. Maybe Mike F is closer??? :eek: -

Personally I hate pale ale, but in builders speak it's gold!
Sure hope world concept build faster for you than they did for me. Contracted to build two houses for me in early april 02. Didn't get finished til Sept 03. Had been advised we should be in by xmas 02. ( Our family of four were living with the inlaws in their lounge room while waiting :( )
On a positive note though they built a couple of pretty good houses for the money though. I just sure hope they build faster for you.

Regards Jodie

unfortunately I have heard nothing good about World Concept...

Nothing wrong with a few paley's....drinking one right now !

The Government fixes Guideline value for properties for the purpose of fixing the stamp duty or (registration charges) to be paid for registering the transfer deeds.
It is done to prevent undervaluation of properties and consequent payment Government duties.
It is usually borne by the buyer. If the transaction amount is genuinely less than the Guideline value the transacting parties are at liberty to pay the stamp duty as per actuals. But the sale document will not be released by the registering authority. It is will refer the same to the Revenue Department for ascertaining the genuineness of the value. You will be called upon to explain the basis for the valuation. If convinced the documents will be released. But the whole process may take a little longer time say six months to one year.

Building ready for handover

Hello all
Thank you for all your previous replies and good wishes.
SilverSands - I stood on your beach last time I was in Addy - awesome place.

The building was actually quite smooth - its was the finance that dragged out some..

My place is almost ready for handover now and I have learnt some about building retaining walls, paving, where to stick the hills hoist, fencing (interesting one and still ongoing).

I need to be brave but its ok to be a little afraid too.. any advice re handover. should I get a valuer in? Yes, I have insurance covered, negotiating with PMs now, have to get blinds... all ideas welcome.
Have attach a photo... This is a great site for sharing. Thanks for all the generousity..

This next trip to Addy, I might drive via Echuca, Mildura, Swan Hill and take in Ballarat and Bendigo on the way back. Anyone for a drive from Canberra for a coupla of weeks? Or maybe I can meet with some SSers on the way?

Attachments

• test1.JPG
    test1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 67
Looks like a typical project home job. i have done quite a few.
Hope your builder did a survey before slab was done, then after slab was done.

Do not want to put YOUR house on neighbours block:eek: And YES I have seen it done by people that think they have bought this block but actually bought the one next door.:eek:

Looks like you are down to hand over. Make sure everything is done as per contract. There may be a few minor things that can not delay settlement / But get them in writing and photos. Some builders I have used in NSW just seem to for get you once they get their $$. If it is a major problem seek legal advice and DO NOT Pay final $$.

At your stage you should have or be getting quotes for window coverings/blinds, carpets, etc. Retaining walls if needed. Fencing. Bobcat work to level yard. Concrete driveway & rear paths etc. Finally Turf.

If this can all be done basically together you should have the place available to rent ASAP.

And of course get yourself a property manager to start advertising NOW:D

Pelican,

If you get the chance, could you provide a bit of a story on your experiences with your development? Just an indication on timings, tricks you have learnt along the way etc.

Looks like the build was done pretty quickly. Good stuff.

Gools

Back