Buying PPOR in Greensborough/Watsonia/Watsonia North/Viewbank

Hi there :

I am planning for my second home ( rather a bigger one ) around the areas mentioned in the title. Right now I live in eastern part of Melbourne in Croydon and looking to move to areas around Greensborough/Watsonia/Watsonia North/Viewbank in a bigger house with a bit of land.

Just wondering whether it is possible to get some views on these suburbs in terms of future growth, living with family and which parts to avoid. I will be living with my family and planning for a kid soon. I am looking to stay here for long.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
DU

I live in the area. It depends on what you are after. For example some areas of Lower Plenty bring mega dollars as the larger houses are on acre plus blocks.

In the Greensborough area you have St Helena where there are some large homes but not in the same price bracket as those in the Lower Plenty area.

It also depends on what schools you want to be near. There are various good schools in the area as well as Independent schools (Eltham College etc)

Chris

I would look at montmorency if your budget can stretch, it is near all those, has a train station, but is still a very quiet place to live. The old thing is that not a lot of ppl drive through there as it isn't a thoroughfare like watsonia or greensbourgh. Maybe also look at eltham or Ivanhoe if your budget can stretch some more

The first one is Watsonia North, so no railway station.

The distance from Watsonia North to the City is 17kms

The distance from Montmorency is exactly the same

The second link is in Watsonia, this is an older area and does not bring the same resale prices as the other areas. Mainly due to the large number of commission and ex commission houses in the area.

The main problem with Montmorency is that the traffic skirts it along Para Road and Bolton Street, coming off the ring road to join up to Fitzsimmons Lane to get to Eastlink. Trying to get along Main Road in the morning can be a big holdup.

Have a look at Viewbank and Streeton Views (Yallambie)

Chris

The first one is Watsonia North, so no railway station.

The distance from Watsonia North to the City is 17kms

The distance from Montmorency is exactly the same

The second link is in Watsonia, this is an older area and does not bring the same resale prices as the other areas. Mainly due to the large number of commission and ex commission houses in the area.

The main problem with Montmorency is that the traffic skirts it along Para Road and Bolton Street, coming off the ring road to join up to Fitzsimmons Lane to get to Eastlink. Trying to get along Main Road in the morning can be a big holdup.

Have a look at Viewbank and Streeton Views (Yallambie)

Chris

Yer and accessibility from those suburbs to main aterials is awesome.... Not. Yallamibie no train station and have to deal with lower plenty road and watsonia / heidelburg road all they time. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Missing link?

If I remember correctly there has been speculation about freeway extension to connect ring road and eastern freeway. Does anyone know more about the plans for the missing link?

Tilly

It gets promised every election. When were buying land in 1963 we avoided buying in Rosanna because the link freeway ran along the bottom of the land!!!

The Government owned that land but after protests it was sold for cheap unit development.

Since then various plans have been published but get scrapped each time the state government changes.

The last plan was to go through the top of Eltham but can't see any move toward it happening.

Chris

Hi all :

Thanks for the input.

For the property at Watsonia North, just saw it is not that far from the Greensborough Highway and also 5-6 mins drive from Watsonia station. Anyways I will look into more properties. Apart from tha what do you guys think Watsonia North as a location in terms of future appreciation?

Also in terms of preferred suburbs, what are those in that region?

Cheers!

Thanks guys for your reply. Apart from Watsonia and Greensborough, I have decided to look at Eltham, Lower Plenty and Montmorency. Looks like the prices are going up again in this area ???

Cheers!

Back